Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kuroc

experimenting with a new way to water

kuroc
9 years ago

I want to experiment with a new way of watering succulents so they can go for long periods of time without being watered.

My idea involves using one of my plants as a guinea pig. I will leave it in it's terra cotta pot and then wrap it in a few layers of fabric.
Put it in a plastic pot then fill the space inbetween with moisture control beads or a mixture of that and oil dry or perlite.

What I want to accomplish is provide the plant with a constant supply of moisture that is just the right amount for the plant to take up without rotting the roots.

This is just an idea I had what do you think?

Comments (3)

• hanzrobo
    9 years ago

I like the way you think. You're in the right mindset about succulents - they love/need/thrive on that neglect in many cases. While I would never discourage experimentation I do feel compelled to tell you what I think. I've done lots of experimentation with my plants but I've recently arrived at a place of balance regarding soil mix and watering schedule.

Generally speaking, succulents are adaptable. They'll grow lush and plump and fast if you enable it with grit, lots of water and shade. I used to think my plants were healthy when they looked plump and green, as long as they weren't stretching out. Now I like my plants to look slightly sunburnt, thirsty and compact as can be. I prefer them to grow as slowly as possible. This means seeing how much sun they can take and holding back water until they physically ask for it. The secret is to have a mix that is heavy on grit but also has a balance of fines that can stay moist for a few days after you water. For my grit, I use perlite and pumice exclusively. The fines are composed of sifted potting soil (bark removed), washed sand and vermiculite. 40%fines, 60%grit - something like that.

What I'm saying is, your thinking is correct; your plants will love being watered less. It's just less complicated than your experiment, and should be. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try it.

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Sounds like you'll be creating a higher humidity area for the root area of the pot you are testing.

• kuroc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So what your saying is that water vapor would circulate though out the root zone.
    Would my idea create a fog desert like effect?

This post was edited by kuroc on Thu, Sep 11, 14 at 22:11