Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul__gw

Aloe emelyae

paul_
13 years ago

I need more plants like I need another hole in my head. But as I wandered through Lowes, I happened upon this little bugger and decided to bring it home.

{{gwi:651578}}

Much to my surprise, it sent up a flower spike not long after. Perhaps its way of saying "Thanks for rescuing me!"

{{gwi:651580}}

{{gwi:489053}}

Comments (10)

• lzrddr
    13 years ago

Haworthia, not Aloe. Species looks right, though

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    13 years ago

Paul,

That's a wonderful Haworthia - I remember when the different clones were coming on the market - folks were like sharks at a butcher shop in getting the first.

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

I hope I'm giving you new news. Some are still going for over $800.00 that's over my budget. Yes it certainly is a Haworthia. Norma

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Paul, that's a NICE plant!

• paul_
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OOOPS! My THAT was embarassing! And the thing is, I knew it was a Haworthia --- don't know where my brain was when I was posting.

Ya gotta be joking, Norma -- $800?!? There isn't ANY plant I like that much. What was/is so special about those particular clones? For that kind of money, the plant should not only water, fertilize, and repot itself when needed but also be able to do light house cleaning.

I like how small this one is and I'm hoping it remains so. It also has a pup I'll eventually have to find a home for. Btw, when is it "safe" to remove the pup and what is the best way to do so?

• wallydraigle
    13 years ago

I don't have the eye for Haworthia. I mean, I really like them, and I think yours is really nice, but they all look the same to me. I can't tell the difference between a $500 plant and one straight off the shelf from Lowes.

• minime8484
    13 years ago

That's really a gorgeous plant! And the blooms are lovely - I'm starting to fall for Haworthia's....uh oh....

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

I am surprized that it has an offset, they are known to do this. Cut off or pull off the offset when it is big enough to handle, keep the offset in a tiny pot until you know that it is growing, it is a winter grower so any time in October will be good, many Haworthia lose their roots during our hot months of summer here in Calif. I take off the dead leaves, when I remove it from it's pot, I advise you to put it into your own soil mix, turn it upside down, remove the pup, then using a sweezer remove any dead or decaying leaves, and repot by just gently pushing it down on new fresh loose soil, it will then push down roots. Please remeber I don't know if your are experienced or a beginner. Norma

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

I meant to say it is not usual for them to offset. they are winter growers, like low light. Norma

• squishyplant
    13 years ago

Man, I wish I could find something like that at the Lowes and Home depot around here. I make regular trips and they usually don't have anything worth it. GOOD FIND!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!