Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
t_southworth

Made a Garden, Any specific needs?

Evening all,

I decided to end my labor day with a little succulent/cacti garden. I've repotted all plants into a 3:1:1 mixture of Fir Bark, Cacti mix, and Perlite.

Other than a well drained soil and pot, bright light, and the occasional watering, are there any other special needs for the plants below? Any experience is very welcome!

Lastly, would anyone be able to post a list of ID's/names? Thank you for your time. All my best, Thomas.

{{gwi:651608}}
{{gwi:651610}}
{{gwi:651611}}

Comments (3)

• DavidL.ca
    9 years ago

Whoa, that's one large succulent "dish" garden for sure! You do have lots of plants in there that are somewhat different in terms of watering and sun care, but most of them should do fine together.

The only one I would worry about is the Pleiospilos nelii, because it has 3 sets of leaves right now (actually it kind of looks like it has 2 1/2 sets of leaves...), which indicates it's been getting too much water previously already (it should only have 2 sets), so you gotta be very careful watering that one because it might split or rot. You can try watering it only when it's quite soft to touch, but still with that soil and all the other plants there, I think it'd be a good idea to dig it out and give it its own pot. I'm sure others would chime in on this.
    Perhaps put another Aloe in its place? But anyway it looks colourful and great, best of luck and happy growing!

• Thomas (Zone 7b - NYC)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

David, Thank you for your response. You were indeed right! Pleiospilos nelii ended up exploding pretty much. I have so far removed two items which seem to have taken a turn for the worst and didn't survive, which I am going to assume was due to the fact that their soil was drenched when I potted them.

I have come to the conclusion that they've stabilized, and i'm hoping they will thrive in medium sunlight. Thanks again.

• DavidL.ca
    9 years ago

No problem! Sorry about your Pleiospilos, retry it in its own pot maybe? Those guys are definitely one of a kind and deserves their own space :P.

Post more pics and updates, would love to see more!