Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammypie

Aloe Vera Drink?

tammypie
10 years ago

Received this Aloe Vera from a friend about 4 years ago. It was large when I received it and it grew larger. Last year it bloomed yellow flowers and produced 8 or 9 pups (since removed and re-potted) My friend that gave me this aloe told me that people in her neighborhood drink it. So I did my research and tried it. Made a shake with ice/water in a blender. It's something I'll have to get used to.

Anyways, I love Aloe Vera! I rub the gel every night on my face and arms before bedtime.

Question tho - the older leaves, that I'm supposed to harvest first, are "thin" and not plump at all, except at the base. Will a tad more water make the older leaves plumper? It's very hot here in S. Orange County this weekend and I really saturated the pot well today. I water once a week or once every 2 weeks.

Thanks!

{{gwi:652199}}

Comments (7)

• Colleen E
    10 years ago

I drink aloe vera in a couple teas. It's a taste you have to get used to. I also mix it in with apple juice. Great stuff.

Your plant looks normal to me as pictured. They don't like hot direct sun, in my experience, so I do part-shade in summer. I water when the soil is entirely dry, and the leaves on mine do wimp out a little in summer with not enough water.

• tammypie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Today I noticed 4 little pups coming up. Should I wait until spring to cut them off from the mother?

Thanks, Tammy

• Colleen E
    10 years ago

Oh, that's great news for you. I'd wait until at least spring to pot up any pups separately. The larger they are, the more stable they'll be starting out and, I've found, the greater likelihood of removing from the mother plant with roots. Leave the little ones and let them mature awhile.

• intelinside1
    10 years ago

I read somewhere that you should remove the skin. Only eat the clear stuff inside and don't eat the yellow sap as that can make your stomach ill

• intelinside1
    10 years ago

I read somewhere that you should remove the skin. Only eat the clear stuff inside and don't eat the yellow sap as that can make your stomach ill

• greenman62
    10 years ago

YES, true...
    Do NOT eat the skin!
    the gel, however, is fine, and very healthy
    its also excellent for the skin.
    i put some on my face, feet, dry areas..
    about once a week

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Be careful about drinking too much. It could be quite a laxative.

"Aloin, a compound found in the exudate of some Aloe species, was the common ingredient in over-the-counter (OTC) laxative products in the United States prior to 2003, when the Food and Drug Administration ruled that aloin was a class III ingredient, thereby banning its use.[50] Aloe vera has potential toxicity, with side effects occurring at some dose levels both when ingested or applied topically.[44] Although toxicity may be less when aloin is removed by processing, Aloe vera that contains aloin in excess amounts may induce side effects.[4][5][51] A two-year National Toxicology Program (NTP) study on oral consumption of nondecolorized whole leaf extract of Aloe vera found evidence of carcinogenic activity in male and female rats. The NTP says more information is needed to determine the potential risks to humans.[52][53][54]

Aloe vera juice is marketed to support the health of the digestive system, but there is neither scientific evidence nor regulatory approval to support this claim.[55] The extracts and quantities typically used for such purposes appear to be dose-dependent for toxic effects.[44]"

Here is a link that might be useful: aloe vera @ wikipedia.