Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
isonychia

Hens/Chicks (Sempervivum tectorum) propagate cutting

isonychia
10 years ago

I have some Sempervivum tectorum from my wedding that I would like to propagate. The plants have been cut and therefore have no roots.

I took the plants and put one in a glass with water but the base of the stem started turning black so I removed it from the water and left it out and then just put it in some gritty mix. The others I left out for a few hours and just put them in regular soil as they looked like they had started to slightly callous over

Whats the best way to propagate a CUT succulent like these hens/chicks?

Same way I would propagate a jade?

Do they need bright light or should I care for them differently since they are a fresh cutting?

Should I keep the soil dry until they show signs of new growth?

BTW this these are all indoor plants.

Thanks,
iso

This post was edited by isonychia on Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 21:44

Comments (13)

• Colleen E
    10 years ago

Sempervivum, as with all succulents and cacti, do not root in water. Succulents will rot if given moisture when they do not have roots, as without roots they have no way to absorb the moisture. The stem starting to blacken indicates rot starting. Semps are easy as can be--just snap off a pup from the mother plant, stick it in dry soil, and in some time it'll root on its own. They love neglect, so just be patient.

Don't water at all until the plants have rooted.

Sempervivum typically do not do well indoors and are very cold-hardy, so I'd recommend keeping them outside for the winter. They want to be out in the elements.

• Colleen E
    10 years ago

Ugh, double post. I apologize.

This post was edited by teatree on Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 23:03

• isonychia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

teatrea, thanks.

A few questions.

If I do not water the plants won't the plant dry out and die before it has a chance to form roots and be able to absorb water?

I live in NJ. I cant imagine these plants surviving outdoors in NJ. Should I still leave them outside all year long?

Thanks,
    iso

• Colleen E
    10 years ago

No, they won't dry out and die. However, the sun could fry them while they don't have a strong root system and are more delicate. It's best to keep them shaded while they develop roots.

Yep, they are extremely hardy. To my understanding, it's best to put them in a place where snowfall would cover them, and snow will act as insulation.

• Colleen E
    10 years ago

I also should just make sure -- for the heck of it, if you're new to succulents -- that you know the difference between Sempervivum and Echeveria. Echeveria are not hardy at all and are a different ballgame.

This post was edited by teatree on Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 0:07

• brodyjames_gw
    10 years ago

isonychia,

Semps are alpine plants, I believe, so they will handle outdoor temps just fine. I live in Wisconsin and they are in a lot of peoples' plant beds. There are several varieties of prickly pear and some yuccas that can take extreme temps, too, so don't believe that every succulent/cactus is a desert plant! :)

Nancy

• isonychia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Guy's, here is a pic of the plants.

teatree, are any of these NOT hardy and thus will not do well outside.

I am new to succulents and don't really know their ID's.

iso

• brodyjames_gw
    10 years ago

I do believe those are echeverias and need to be indoors for winter.

Nancy

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

That is a good question. How do you tell the difference. I bought Semp. Oddity and at first I didn't beleave it was a Sempervivum. But it is and it is cold hardy as you guys told me. Must be a system to tell apart.

• Colleen E
    10 years ago

'Oddity' is kind of the odd man out as far as Semps, Stush, but the others you can learn to tell apart easily with a little time. And of course no one else pups quite like a Semp, and most Echeveria help point themselves out with their powdery surface that Semps don't have.

What you have there, iso, are two Echeveria plants (the two silverly blue plants) and two Aeoniums. The top Aeonium, with pink edges, is Aeonium 'Kiwi,' while I'd say the bottom Aeonium is A. haworthii. A. 'Kiwi' is a variegated hybrid of A. haworthii. Neither Echeverias nor Aeoniums are hardy, so they need to be inside if a frost is in the forecast.

This is the problem with the nickname "hens and chicks." Most commonly it applies to Sempervivum, and I find it easy to accidentally assume someone who has used that phrase is referring to Semps. The usage of it has stretched over into Echeveria, and growing an Echeveria is none too similar to growing Semps in the winter. Semps are extremely cold-hardy, but safe to assume other succulents are not. Glad I asked the question. I initially assumed because you had noted the specific plant S. tectorum, that you knew you had S. tectorum.

This post was edited by teatree on Sat, Sep 21, 13 at 21:04

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

Colleen,
    Thank you. I'll add it to my list. Good points. I have a lot of Sempervivums and it is confusing.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

The one at 12 o'clock is an Aeonium, and the other three are Echs. None of those are cold-hardy.

• isonychia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to all for the help identifying. I will keep them indoors.

They are still doing well. The ends of those have dried and shriveled slightly. I guess that's ok. No roots yet so no watering.

iso