Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stuckinthedirt

Jade plant rotting

stuckinthedirt
11 years ago

I have had my jade plant for over twenty years. It has lived inside and outside at times, and always done well. Recently it was inside for over a year. For most of the summer, and had generally been neglected - it was in a corner where it got only indirect light, and was watered VERY infrequently. I noticed that leaves were starting to drop, and decided that it needed a good dose of "fresh air and sunshine." I put it on a north facing porch where it would get morning sun light but be sheltered from the hot after noon sun. It was also exposed to the rain.

At first I was not alarmed that more leaves were dropping. I figured that it would recover soon, but soon became concerned when not only leaves, but whole branches where dropping. I put it where the rain would not get to it, thinking that it might have been getting too much water - especially after having had so little water when inside. The branches actually looked like they were rotting, so I cut it back to healthy parts of the plant, and brought it back inside, where it is once again getting only indirect light. And it continues to die back. I am now wondering if it will survive and would appreciate any help anyone can give.

Thanks,

Ed

Comments (25)

• kaktuskris
    11 years ago

First thing I would do is unpot it and check the roots. If there are viable roots, I would repot it dry into a well draining medium in a clay pot, but a photo would help.

Christopher

• stuckinthedirt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a photo of the plant in the pot. It is in a clay pot, but not sure if the glazing has made the pot unable to breath. I took it out of the pot this morning, and checked the roots. There seem to be good roots - not sure what root rot looks like.

I can repot tonight. What should I use as a well draining medium?

Ed

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

Ed,

Cut that soil by at least 1/2, if not 11/16, with perlite / pumice. That soil's not porous enough, and the pot's glazed so it will hold moisture in longer. The long and the short of it is if you improve the soil and give it more sun (a little at a time) along with warmth, you should see leaves w/in a month. I'd also cut that limb on the left to the main left-growing limb (the single segment).

• stuckinthedirt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a better shot of the soil from when I took it out of the pot this morning. Yes, I see what you are saying... there is not much perlite in the mix. I will get more, and an unglazed pot.

11 years ago

You can use a glazed pot, Ed, you'd just have to watch the watering more carefully. But it's an excellent idea going into a terra-cotta pot - they're about the best.

• stuckinthedirt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the help.

And should I cut off the rotting stems, or will they just dry up, and heal as the plant comes back to health?

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Is the main trunk still firm?

Josh

• stuckinthedirt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes the main trunk is still firm, but it is soft in the left branch just below the split, and on the right branch about 3/4 up (in the picture in the box).

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

I would remove the soft tissue on the right and left, and dust the exposed areas with cinnamon.
    When dealing with rot, I don't take any chances. I would use VERY VERY LITTLE potting mix, if
    at all. 75 percent rinsed Perlite, 25 percent potting mix. If you have better ingredients,
    such as Pumice or lava rock (Scoria), that would be a big step forward.

Josh

• TheMasterGardener1
    11 years ago

Yea! Greenman is very right!

You can't go wrong with 75/25 perlite/potting mix.

• elichka
    11 years ago

please clean all roots from old soil. cut any rotten roots and sprinkle w/cinnamon. let it callus for couple days. when you will pot dont water for some days

Inna

• stuckinthedirt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the helpful input. I cut it way back, dusted with cinnamon, and re-potted it over the weekend, increasing the perlite to about 75%. Here is a photo of it right after repotting. I was surprised how far I had to cut to get below the soft tissue. I will also post a photo from today. It seems to be responding ok so far. It gets a few hours of direct morning sunlight, and then just bright indirect light after that.

So, what is a good indicator that it will be ok to start giving it water?

Thanks,
    Ed

• stuckinthedirt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

... and photo from today.

11 years ago

Ed,

Give it a weekly drink, starting today, as long as it's still above 60 or so at night, or do so early in the morning. Those branches look in the process of pushing off the dying tissue and growing - you see that ring that's forming? That should eventually fall off and new growth coming out. It's still solid around the tips, isn't it?

• stuckinthedirt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tips feel solid, but just noticed that where the small branch joins the main trunk, that it is soft (the bottom 2 sections of that smaller branch, and a bit of the main trunk).

Don't think I will water quite yet.

• stuckinthedirt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So my conclusion at this point is that my jade is rotting from the bottom up. I keep cutting it back, and more and more succumbs to the rot. I now have it level with the surface, dusted with cinnamon, and still mold appears. It there anything left to do to save this plant, or is it a goner?

Thanks,
    Ed

• hookilau
    11 years ago

This is my first season with large Jades indoors, and I've only had a couple of brushes with rot, though admittedly not with a rooted plant. This being said, here's my 2 cents.

Jades seem to decline quickly once rot sets in. If she were mine, I would not water till new growth is evident. Keep her in a bright room and wait. I wonder if bottom heat would help her? As in treating her like an unrooted cutting. Considering she has no leaves. Also, if the logic that roots have been lost then (either to pruning or rot) the plant has decreased use for water, do not water.

I've read where once rot starts in a well rooted Jade, the prognosis is poor & the author did just as you ended up having to do, cutting back till there wasn't much left. The plant eventually succumbed. Hindsight being what it is and all 0_o

I feel as though you don't have much to lose at this point so bottom heat may not be such a bad idea. I think if I should come across this issue with any of mine, I might cut my losses & cut the plant off at the knees & attempt to root.

To sum up, bottom heat, bright warm room, no water till little green nubbies appear on the trunk and hope for the best. Good luck & please keep posting.

Antoinette

• hookilau
    11 years ago

"please clean all roots from old soil. cut any rotten roots and sprinkle w/cinnamon. let it callus for couple days. when you will pot dont water for some days
    Inna"

PS...I second what Inna says. Treating like an unrooted cutting may be your best bet to save this plant. It would appear that the roots are so debilitated that they may not support the plant with this current treatment & a safer bet is to treat as though no roots are present, because after all, you *want* to encourage new roots to grow. I would also suggest that the particle size of your organic matter is too small & not allowing the roots the vital air they need to recover.

If you are committed to using this mix because it's at hand, Inna's recommendation would also get you past this hump. I expect a bagged orchid mix (can be purchased at HD or Lowes) with bark, charcoal etc. such as Shultz orchid mix. I feel it would be a better alternative if sourcing out a version of Al's gritty mix is too much to deal with right now.

Hope that makes sense =)

Antoinette

• elichka
    11 years ago

Thanks Antoinette for mentioning my $0.02.

Ed,please unpot and check for any valuable roots. At this point i would cut off the bottom until you see all green tissue,it shouldn't be any brown specks left. Dust w/cinnamon and let it callus for few days. pot in perlite only in a smallest clay pot and spritz some water every 3-4 days until it roots for you.

Inna

• stuckinthedirt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the additional help. I decided to continue to slice back at the "stump" until I found green tissue. Unfortunately I ran out of plant before I ran out of rot. *sigh* Sad tidings for my 2+ decade old plant.

• americangolden
    11 years ago

I'm sorry you lost your plant stuckinthedirt :-(.

• hookilau
    11 years ago

O, Stuckie.
    I'm sorry for your loss as well.

Antoinette

• elichka
    11 years ago

I'm so sorry. they are like family members.
    Do you have any back up cuttings? Do you need one? i have some to spare if you need.

Inna

• stuckinthedirt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the offer of a cutting.

I have another jade plant that I rooted several years ago from the "mother" plant. It is doing great. A multitrunked plant in my office window.

• elichka
    11 years ago

you are welcome.
    next spring I would recommend you to repot into fast draining mix, gritty mix preferable.

Inna