Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cereus peruvianus help!

Posted by CorpsmanCooper FL8b (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 20, 12 at 21:49

Thanks to Stush I have 4 Cereus peruvianus seedlings! THANK YOU STUSH! Anyway, I've never owned one so some help on how to care for it would be super helpful! What kind of soil? Since it grows fast should they be in a big pot to begin with? Light and water requirements? So on and so forth . . . I already suspect the medium they are in in may be too fast draining.

~Erin~

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cereus peruvianus help!

Maybe one day it will be this. I am praying since I got one too. What I hear is that they like a bit more moisture and humidity than many cactus and that is why they do well in Florida. That said, Someone said that arid weather helps to cause the twisting. That is hearsay that I am repeating so take it with a bit of salt.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cereusly twisted cereus

o

WOW! Those are some awesome plants right there! I hope mine get to be that big! Well,it looks like I need to rethink this potting mix for them.

~Erin~

o

Fast draining is good but here they can take a bit more humus than cactus 20/80 proportions, but really , I think you don't have to be quite so water deprived as normal cactus. They will take the outdoors in Florida once past babyhood. since that is where Stush said the Mama came from. I don't know where in Florida and Florida is a LONG state and I don't know where you are in reference to it, so I should keep my trap shut. As cactus go it is a bit more to the tropical side than a lot of cactus. That can take some minor frosts too, I THINK. When they are older. I have seen a sizable one outside in Austin Texas. I wonder how they treat it come winter. It is surrounded by Concrete so it is in the Heat Island of Downtown and has asphalt all around it. Not my conditions.

o

Hello all, Well, I grew them from seeds and I still don't know any much more about them. One thing, they do take more water than I thought they would. When I had them thru the winter I water very little and they were very small and slow growing. Then spring and outside with more water, they doubled their size and just took off. Also some small one had a twist to them. They filled out with water and the twist left. The mother plant was no way twisted as the one above showed but all the others in the area showed no twist to them at all. The area was near Tampa, a place called Clearwater. I think the zone is 9.
Photobucket

o

WOW! That's the mother plant!?!?!?! Now I'm really excited! I like in North West Florida. In the panhandle. We get frost so I don't plant to leave it outside.

~Erin~

o

CorpsmanCooper ~ I may be hitting you up for plant advice, as I plan on moving to Lakeland, Fla as soon as I can get my house in Bflo,NY sold haha !
Many Thanks !
Jay

o

Jay - I live a lot further North than Lakeland, FL. All I can say is, if you plant to keep succulents outside it's all about drainage because it can rain a lot down here. The sun is completely different as well. Stuff that would normally enjoy full sun can't handle it down here for some reason. It's trial and error.

~Erin~

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here