Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help, I.D. please!

Posted by Dani74 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 22:09

I have recently gotten this cactus and have no idea what kind it is, can someone help me identify? thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help, I.D. please!

Dani,

If you want them to grow well, you should get them in better soil (i.e. more porous and less peat). They appear to be perhaps Trichocereus spachianus or an Echinopsis of some kind. These are also best grown outside, but they're not that cold-hardy.

o

You definitely need to alter that soil and soon.

o

thank you for the help, i will run into lowe's and get some better soil- what do you recommend for these?

o

Unfortunately this is a loaded question. Potting soils straight from the bag are too moisture retentive, even the kind marketed as a cactus soil. That said, I've had some small torch cactuses in this kind of soil since early spring and they haven't died. You have to make sure they are not staying wet. Something easy you can do for the time being is mix perlite with potting soil at about a 50/50 mix. You will be able to find perlite at the store easily. After that, you might want to spend some time researching cactus soils on these message boards and read about the kinds of mixes people like to use. It can become a real scavenger hunt trying to find all of the ingredients for a lot of these mixes, so don't expect to be able to figure out what you want to do and get all the materials together quickly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here