Potting Mix for the N. Eastern States

norma_2006
14 years ago

This was suggested by Dr. Jerry Barard of New Jersey

4 parts Metromix 366 Coir

2 parts Diatomite

1 Part Turface

1 part Granite Grit

He has a nursery, and a beautiful 22 acre garden, ask to be on his mailing list. The Gardens of Valley View New Jersey. He has plants that no one else has. Norma

Comments (9)

• xerophyte NYC
    14 years ago

The problem with Doc B is that he imports some of those components in bulk, it is not reasonable to expect the average grower to have the resources ($$$) that he does.

Diatomite? Metromix? Granite grit? Those things are not easy to find around here. Even Turface takes some effort.

I don't believe that diatoms, coir or grit impart properties much different from perlite other than perhaps them being more attractive looking ingredients as well as adding weight.

As you have eluded to yourself Norma, plants don't know or care what is in their pot, as long as it is aerated and drains properly. 'A bag full of marbles' will suffice if watered often enough.

More important, and I'm sure the experienced growers out here will agree - is to understand your conditions and how different substrates work for your particular situation. A dense mix is perfect if you have a hot greenhouse with low humidity and good air circulation. It will kill the same plant if summered outdoors in the rain.

If you want inexpensive, easy to find materials - one can play around with a bag of fine aquarium gravel, some lava rock available in the fireplace section of Home Depot, perlite available anywhere and some small amounts of cheap topsoil which is basically compost with no peat.

For years all I used was garden soil mixed with gravel. Then I started experimenting with Turface to my satisfaction and success. When I started acquiring larger plants and repotting my existing ones, gravel became too expensive and heavy so I bought perlite in bulk and it works great as a substitute.

But I understand what the substrates do, and it took many seasons to do so. All the fancy ingredients in the world are meaningless unless you know your cultural practices and how your plants respond. Not everyone has the controlled environment that Dr. Barard has so that mix may not work. One needs to experiment through trial and error and be ready to accept the consequences which are dead or weak plants. We all went through that, we all continue to go through that. It is necessary.

x

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

Hey, Norma! Thanks for the recipe!
    I wonder if there are any here who are using this formula?

Growing in California seems to make things a bit easier; but, if I were attempting to build
    a potting mix for a more humid part of the country, I would do this:

1. Start with small gravel (like granite or aquarium rock) that holds very little moisture.

2. Add perlite to off-set the weight of the gravel. At this point, you have the majority
    of your potting mix assembled.

3. For the "brown stuff" in your mix, add particles of bark (pine/fir preferred). Bark will
    hold moisture, but its structure will also promote very fast-drainage. Gravel, Perlite, and
    Bark will dry out quickly, and so it is important to add something to increase water-retention.

4. For this, I add pumice (which holds a lot of moisture, so be sparing at first!). One could also
    use Turface or a Diatomaceous product (like Napa #8822). Stable ingredients will hold moisture
    without compacting.

Josh

• norma_2006
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Josh, if we get enough formulas we could write a book.
    Anything that will help the beginners, I am not suggesting that any one should change if what they are using works for them. I was hoping that some substitues were suggested, if you can't find one of the ingredients there will be a substitute that can be used. I was thinking that is is only and ID list because people didn't know how to find the information. But I also noticed that there are sevearl 'HELP' signs out as well, 'It's dying what am I doing wrong' People who know it all don't need to respond. I just want to know everything that is available so I have choices. Norma

• tjicken
    14 years ago

Always interesting to see what other people use, but what does Barard grow in this mix? All kind of cacti/succulents?

• pirate_girl
    14 years ago

Dr. Barad grows ALL kinds of things, but in his greenhouses (which I try to visit yearly), he grows mostly succulents (his specialty being the Family of Asclepiads) of almost ALL kinds.

I have a few lbs. of his mix myself that I bought quite some time ago. Mostly forgot about it, except I grow Crassulacae in it (like one I got from him called Crassula Christina). Think I'll switch my Haworthias (which seem to be slowing down & or losing their roots) into this mix to re-root.

Thank for reminding me that I even HAVE his mix!!!

• gmoses
    14 years ago

I was hoping you can give me a better idea where he is located. I live in NJ and always been trying to find a good place to visit, especially some one who knows succulents.
    I tried searching but no luck. Can you post a link or information or send to my email?

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

"The Gardens of Valley View New Jersey"

I tried a few Google searches, and didn't come up with much.

Is it Dr. Gerald S. Barad?

Is it Barard?

Any help?

• tiamet
    14 years ago

I did some google searches too, and I found that he's in Flemington, NJ. He's Dr. Gerald S. Barad, but he seems to go by Jerry. I also found a blog posting by someone who went to one of Dr. Barad's open houses. It has some nice pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jerry Barad's 53rd Open House

• gmoses
    14 years ago

in my searches i found he has won many awards over the years in different places..see his name listed all over the place but the best i could find was a 10 year old email address which i doubt is still active. but thanks for the location. i know that area. i am narrowing it down which is good