Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crenda53

Help with ID, please

Crenda 10A SW FL
10 years ago

I picked these guys up at a BBS last week. They were squeezed into a tall, half filled, soggy pot. After removing the peat and repotting, they have relaxed and spread out. I'll water in a few days.

They haven't been in the sun yet. I just repotted and we have had 8 inches of rain this week. The one on the left looks like it may have some variegation. They are in 4 inch pots.

I'm thinking a hybrid Echeveria, possibly an E. agavoides. I appreciate any input.

Comments (16)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Crenda,

Not to rain on your parade, but I think they're hybrids (E. agaviodes is a species, as are its cultivars like 'Lipstick' and 'Ebony') and the one on the left's leaf tip of suspected variegation is actually leaf damage. Regardless of what they are, not giving them sun is not doing them any favours - gradually ease them into mostly full sun and they'll be happiest. As long as it's warm and sunny and they're getting water, they'll want to grow where you are pretty much year-around.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ah ha! I didn't realize E. agavoides was a species, since it came up on my searches for E. hybrids. And I was afraid that was leaf damage and not variegation.

I will ease them into the sun when we have some sun. Golly it has been gloomy! With all this rain, I have had my plants under the protected lanai - and there really hasn't been much sunlight under there, or anywhere. September is usually rainy, but this month is already 4 inches over normal for rainfall. This, too, shall pass and we'll be into the dry season.

Thanks for the info and tips. And rain on my parade is par for the course this month.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just an update - It's amazing what sunshine and a pot that lets a plant breathe will do! The heavy rains have stopped and they can stay in full sun without drowning. I can also fertilize without worrying about too much water. The color is a pleasant surprise!

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

Yes, they are happy!

• rosemariero6
    10 years ago

The leaf edges have colored up nicely. I think the leaves are too narrow to be the straight species. So, thinking it is a cultivar or hybrid. I haven't seen many photos of it online, but check out E. agavoides 'Maria'.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

The sun will do wonders for this plant. As pictured, this is Echeveria agavoides 'Red Edge' (sometimes called 'Lipstick') that I have had in full sun all summer. It has been in the greenhouse for about 3 weeks and already has lost much of its color. You may note the leaves of the plant on the right are more narrow than those of the plant on the left but I believe they are both the same plant... now if I could only find Echeveria agavoides 'Ebony'!!!!! A "TRUE" 'Ebony' seems to be an elusive plant, so if anyone has some leads, please email me...Thx.

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Fri, Nov 1, 13 at 17:33

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ooh - love your plants Bikerdoc! I'm a sucker for anything red.

Rosemariero - I guess I'll have to wait for my plants to grow up to see what I have. I wonder if the long leaves will look the same now that they are not squeezed into a tall skinny pot. I'm thinking maybe they were stretching for sun, but then maybe that is the way the new leaves will look, too. Time will tell.

Thanks for all the advice, folks! Even if we can't pin down what kind of hybrid it is, I am enjoying seeing its progress.

• rosemariero6
    10 years ago

Gorgeous 'Red Edge', Howard! Mine is losing some of its color now too. Yes, 'Ebony' is elusive! I've only seen it in shows.

I believe your leaves will stay narrow, Crenda, but like you say~ time will tell. Enjoy them!

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am enjoying these plants! And it looks like there may be some flowers in our future. Each plant has 3 of these clusters sprouting. How fun!

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a close up of the probable inflorescence.

• rosemariero6
    10 years ago

Yay, for pending blooms! Your plants are shaping up! I'm going to guess they have some E. pulidonis in them. :)

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've had a dickens of a time trying to get a clear picture of the flower on this plant. I've had 5 or 6 inflorescence going at the same time. Here's a look at the plant.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the best closeup I can seem to get of the flower. It starts looking like the one above, turns reddish, then brown and dies. I had thought the cold snap (40s) that came through might have done something to the flowers, but now I'm thinking that is just what they look like.

I realize this is probably a hybrid that I'll never identify, but if the flowers offer any enlightenment I'd be happy to hear it. It's a pretty plant, none the less.

Thanks!

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Looks like Echeveria agavoides to me, but possibly a hybrid w/ E. pulidonis.

E. agavoides 'Maria' is still looking good as a possibility.

This post was edited by rosemariero on Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 15:13

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Rosemariero!

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well - here's my latest twist with the flowers. You can see a couple of those sort of dead looking flowers, but I finally can see the real deal.

I have been fighting aphids on a lot of plants this winter. Maybe that is what got to the previous blooms. I thought these were clean, but treated with 50/50 alcohol spray just in case. It's a good thing I have a large lanai/patio area. I have plants isolated all over the place.

Since I had no previous reference, I ended up thinking the previous picture was what it should look like. These flowers do look like E. pulidonis. (The flowers are actually hanging down, but I can't get a picture in the breeze.)