Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hijole

Back to the drawing board, Birdbaths Needed drainage holes:

hijole
9 years ago

I planted some cacti & succulents in a birdbath that didn't have any drainage holes, rule #1.

So I had to go back and start over from scratch, pull out the plants and drill a hole in the bottom.

Now I have a new project. Mission with a drainage hole, the only way to go TRUST ME. It doesn't work without one.

Greg

Comments (21)

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

Did any of them die Greg? I bet it'll look AWESOME when you're done!!! :)

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

Well arast it got done. I usuly learn the hard way too! I'm sorry you lost some :(

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

Yup they do need drain holes,dh drilled mine before i planted it.It's a great use for a birdbath that has cracked or anything like that.Recycle,reuse.
    kathi

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update, nothing has been committed to the soil yet, just playing with some idea's because whatever I use will need to be ok with full sun all day long.

More pictures on the way soon.

Greg

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

Greg, what's the plant in right in front of the birdbath in the pic b4 last? It has speckle looking markings on the ends of the leaves? It's beautiful! (I'd like to get one but have no idea what to search for! Lol)

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LilBit, are you talking about the one in the ground right at the base of the floor?
    If so that's a Aeonium sun burst I hope I spelt that right. And those speckles are from watering when it's to hot I think it gets scorched from the sun ðÂÂÂ

be bac tomorrow, good night.

Greg

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

lol leave it to me to think sun scorch is some pretty coloring on a plant! Sometimes I am quite the ding bat!!!! Lol

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

Well even without the sun scorch.......it's beautiful!!!! I'm using a cell phone so the pic isn't that big lol

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LilBit, lol... no worries it's a little picture so don't worry about it and thanks for the vote.

Ok, here we go, I'm pulling plants out of pots and making a community birdbath for succulents, already I've pulled some back out becuz I could already see that the sun was baking them right before my eyes ð¦so I'll post another picture of a little change.

Greg

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, so I'm having way to much fun, you'd think it was Spring. Well after all this is California ðÂÂÂ

Greg

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

Looking good Greg!!
    kathi

• lcadena
    9 years ago

Love it! Glad to hear your son likes succulents too. I'm in Riverside and would love to get a simple birdbath without breaking the bank. Do you know of any place? I've tried Craigs List to no avail. Thanks!

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, I have to say that I am totally impressed with how the birdbath turned out ( yes I impressed myself.) But I have to be honest , I have learned so much from all of you on this garden web forum + my wife has been very helpful. Very helpful.

Now hopefully they all live till next spring, shoot let me start with surviving winter first.

Greg

• grubby_AZ Tucson Z9
    9 years ago

" I'm in Riverside and would love to get a simple birdbath without breaking the bank. Do you know of any place?"

Google the three words: birdbath riverside california and you will get a zillion and a half hits, maybe more.

Don't forget to consider running about four feet of quarter inch drip line before you set the bird bath base in concrete, if that's the way you want to set it. It's harder later, but you don't have to use it anytime soon. That's even useful for a birdbath that's going to be just a bird bath!

Here is a link that might be useful: Google: birdbath riverside california

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Grubby _ me , thank you for the link, and Crenda I am sorry for skipping right by the first time I meant to say that I dont know of any place particular, but I do now, I'll have to visit the site myself & maybe pay them a little visit.

Ok this is my last post for the day, have a wonderful evening everyone, until the next project.

Greg

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

GORGEOUS!!!! LOVE LOVE THE EYE CANDY GREG!!!!!

• aztcqn
    9 years ago

Aaah, you're neet displays inspired me to do about 7-8 bowls of succulents after my car deal. Still small and sparse this season, but, next spring/summer hope to have some nice displays to post!

• homegrowninthe603
    9 years ago

Looks great!

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

Love it Greg,but have a ?? How often do you think you will have to perhaps move some of them out.Like the paddle plant,or pancake what ever you call it.Mine gets pretty big,and i have it in and old sink from the garage that was originally used for the washing machine.It's been in there for years,but i do cut pieces off every now and again and share them with friends.
    Just curious!!!

Like all the stones you have as well,do you have them on your property,or do you have to go out and look for them??
    tfs
    Kathi

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

Hi Greg!!! I just sent you an email needing your expertise!!! Hope you don't mind!!!

Sponsored
Above Board Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Custom Deck & Outdoor Enclosure Solutions in Loudoun County