Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
youch

Two Maturing Cacti that are changing....ID and knowledge, please

youch
9 years ago

I have two unidentified cacti that I've had for 8-10 years. While they have slowly grown, they have not changed much in terms of shape or configuration. That is, until last year and this past year when I started adding cactus fertilizer to their watering schedule. All of a sudden, this year, both changed, adding nubile appendages. While happy, I'm not sure what to think, or what to expect. I'll post pictures to follow.

I'm hoping to ID both of them....with your help. I have been unable to do so with basic internet searches.

I'm hoping to capitalize on these new appendages, and not have them atrophy.

I also want to discuss the condition of my specimens, as neither are in perfect condition (I live in NW WA, and so I think I'm lucky to have gotten them as far as I have).

Okay pictures and discussion to follow. Thank you in advance for any research, advice, history, discussion and opinion you may offer. Thanks again.....

Comments (21)

• youch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

These are the two 10yo specimens, side by side. The taller is about 5ft tall. I got it when it was about 6" tall.

The shorter is nearly a foot tall, and I got it when it was about 6" tall....it has doubled in height, but more than quadrupled in weight and girth.

• youch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Since I started to use cacti fertilizer with every other watering, four appendages appeared...three visible in this picture. What is happening? What will these appendages turn out to be?

This cactus has flowered several times, inconsistently, over the years. This year, no flowers, but these appendages appeared for the first time.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Not sure about the tall one, but the short one is Parodia magnifica and those "appendages" are babies. I've never seen babies grow at the top like that, but your cactus has in fact given birth. :)

Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Sat, Sep 27, 14 at 22:32

• youch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This one I've had since 6", it is now 5ft. I think it will grow to 6ft, but I may have the ID wrong. What is the ID, anyway?

Note that the plant got skinny for a while...I have since learned that that is due to lack of light, but what am I to do in NW WA in the long winters?

Okay, the point of this post....note the little appendage that has recently appeared. What is that? What will it be? Is it an arm that will grow?

ID, please. And assistance as to what to do next.

Thank you for all the above issues. I welcome input and advice. Thanks. I've grown very fond of these two guys, and I want to make sure I don't screw it up. Thanks again.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Just in case you missed my first message in reference to your short cactus, scroll up, hehe. Your tall cactus looks fine IMO; not skinny if you ask me.

Sorry I can't give you an ID on this one, I've seen it before, but I can't recall what it's called. I don't think that "appendage" is a baby, looks like it might be a flower bud.

Planto

• youch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Planto,

Thank you for the quick reply.

The short one....given birth...hmm... Will they fall off? Do I "replant" the dudes?

As for the tall one....flower bud? That far down on the body? It is only about a foot from the pot. I assumed flowering would always been at or near the top.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

I don't believe they will fall off, but continue to grow. I don't have experience with separating "Mamas" from their children, but that is possible if you choose to do so (I'll let someone else address how to do that). You can remove them or leave them as they are, personal choice really. No harm done either way.

Not all cacti bloom at or near the top. The name that comes to mind (now lol) is Cleistocactus. Not sure on the species or if I'm even in the right genus. But, if you Google that name, you will see pictures of cacti that bloom all up and down their sides.

Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Sat, Sep 27, 14 at 22:45

• IMCF
    9 years ago

that tall one, wow! O_O I'm always in awe of tall cacti and the people that are brave enough to move them around lol

• youch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I've been told I've been lucky thus far. A strong root helps moving it in during the winter.

Still looking for an ID on that tall guy. I recall from the plastic tag that came stick in the dirt when I bought it (unhappy that I lost that) that it will grow to 6ft. I hope I can keep it healthy through maturation, as I really want to see it bloom. I'm almost there, I think. Perhaps that little appendage is a potential flower, although Fall is upon the PNW and the plant will soon be indoors.

• 0nametaken0
    9 years ago

I would say let the pups grow for a while. Once you feel they are big enough, pluck them off and set them on soil. They will root and start growing as well. atm I have a cactus thats only 1" wide and 2" tall and it has 3 pups growing on it. They are about quarter its size, Im still deciding if I should let them grow or plant them. Since they are growing so well atm, Im leaving them on.

• youch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Any help on the ID of the tall one? I'm told it is "exotic" and hard to care for, but that's all the additional info i've been able to gather. Thank you.

• Dzitmoidonc
    9 years ago

Tall one looks like Espostoa, maybe guentheri. Eventually it will make "arms".

• oldstumpy1 Long Island ny
    9 years ago

Micranthocereus streckeri cactus cacti succulent Brazil G66
    check ebay ccnursery
    Richard

• Dzitmoidonc
    9 years ago

Micranthocereus streckeri only gets about 3 ft tall and blooms when about a foot tall. Also, it is considered very very rare.

• youch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for the data and comments.

• minime8484
    9 years ago

I believe your tall plant is Weberbauerocereus johnsonii.

• youch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, I guess it really could be Weberbauerocereus johnsoniii or the Espostoa guentheri.

How will I know for sure, by the flower? At some point in the maturation process, it must become clear, right?

The little flower/arm appendage continues to enlarge, even in this late PacificNorthwest Fall, having been brought indoors for it's annual "dark months."

• minime8484
    9 years ago

Both Weberbauerocereus & Vatricania need to be quite mature to bloom. I've only seen them bloom as large (5-10' tall) specimens in-ground.

Both would have pinkish nocturnal flowers but Vatricania would develop a very prominent cepahlium (hairy area from which flowers develop) on - typically - one side of the column(s) towards the distal end (sometimes called the "Bearded Old Man").
    http://www.cactuscenterclub.com/Especiesygeneros/DrRisco/espostoa_guentheri.htm

Weberbauerocereus would have hairy areoles where flowers develop, but not the extensive hairy area that is obvious in Vactricania.
    http://cactiguide.com/cactus/?genus=Weberbauerocereus&species=johnsonii

• youch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Interesting.

Thus far, my specimen has no cepahlium. I've been told to wait for it, but after 8-10 years, nothing. and now this growing, prickly appendage. I must say, I fairly excited about what it will be. If/when it grows into something more than a prickly appendage, I will post pictures. Hope nobody minds! :-)

Have not researched the Vatricania.

• minime8484
    9 years ago

I apologize - I should have mentioned that Vatricania is often lumped into Espostoa, so Vatricania guentherei and Espostoa guentheri are 2 names for the same species. I use the Genus "Vatricania" for convenience because it is monotypic.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

I'm patiently waiting for the "appendage" to show its true form too!

Planto