Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hijole

What is This ? I just said I had No viruses or bugs.

hijole
9 years ago

So I had just mentioned in another post that I have had no problems with viruses 0r bugs. Then this milky mess. Can I get a fix it tip please.

These leaf pedals fall off with just a slight tug & then their's this Milky sap.

Greg

Comments (21)

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So another question I have about this white gluey liquid is, can the plant be saved and can the pups be cut off from the main plant & survive.

Thank you for your experience,

Greg

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

OH NO GREG!!!!! :( can you please do a close up of the leaf on the right?

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

I think it's mealy bugs Greg......so sorry. Smell it (SERIOUSLY) and see if the plant by the white stuff has a sweet smell. If it does.......mealy bugs. Check your email Greg

• breton2
    9 years ago

Yep, looks like mealies. Time for a spray bottle of water and the q-tips and rubbing alcohol. Good luck!

P.s you jinxed yourself!!

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the comments.
    Did I ever read something about pouring water and vinegar on top of them?

Thanks for the email lilbit.

Does anyone know what causes this virus?

Thanks, Greg

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

mealies are a pest not a virus

I'm almost 99 % sure you had read (at least once) about ingulfing them with all types of home made ideas.

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

You're welcome Greg. I don't know if you wanna do what I said. But for a more "NATURAL" "so to speak" I was told to use cold pressed neem oil. I spray ALL mine with neem oil as soon as I bring them home but it didn't help with ROOT mealies because I didn't use it as a drench. But it might work for you cuz your are on top. They spread so be careful and diligent. But you don't want them in the sun until THEYRE TOTALLY DRY. It will dry them SERIOUSLY. I actually sprayed one and thought it was ok to put by a window that had sun rays that come through in the morning. I fried the poor thing! :(

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

Don't use any hort oils or neem oil as a soil drench. They will reduce soil gas exchange and more importantly, coat roots and make it much more difficult for the plant to get the O2 needed to drive root metabolism.

Al

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

Don't use any hort oils or neem oil as a soil drench. They will reduce soil gas exchange and more importantly, coat roots and make it much more difficult for the plant to get the O2 needed to drive root metabolism.

Al

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, so I never thought this was considered a bug ð because it doesn't look like a bug it looks more like some type of milky gooey mess but if it's called mealies then thats what it is 0r as they say, " It is what it is. "

Im getting rid of it but what about the babies, out with them or will they be ok once separated?

Thanks, Greg

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    9 years ago

Mealies are killed off pretty easy on outdoors plants by spraying with a strong stream of water.
    I bet that plant is in sort of a protected area where winds and water don't flow over it?
    Just need water- no need to poison yourself.

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Stanofh, thanks, that's it my plant will be getting a strong stream shower first thing in the morning and yes it was in a secluded location but that to will change tomorrow.
    Front & center for this baby. YES!

Greg

• _sbgibbons_
    9 years ago

Hey Greg, i didn't know if anyone told you this or not, but don't forget to quarantine this plant and check the plants that were surrounding it because mealy bugs are really contagious. Not too long ago, I bought a few plants that I didn't check well enough and I didn't realize that they had root mealy bugs. It was awful! I hope you don't have root mealies as well. A good indicator is looking at the drainage holes under the pot and look and see if there is any white/yellowish balls. Fingers crossed that you get rid of these nasty guys soon! Good luck! -Sam :)

• paul_
    9 years ago

Does look like mealies, Greg.

As has been mentioned, they are insects (relatives of scale, in fact). Like scale and aphids, they are sap suckers and can serve as a plant disease vector. They are slow moving and adult females tend to be quite sedentary. The white, cottony/sticky material they exude acts as a defense against some types of predators.

Mealies may get down into the root zone which can make them very difficult to eradicate.

I would be careful if using the "hose" method. Nymphs could get tossed onto nearby plants thus compounding your problem.

Rubbing alcohol or neem sprayed directly on them can kill them but appropriate safety measures are needed. (For example, as has been mentioned, don't use neem on a plant sitting in the sun. Do it so that the plant will have plenty of time to dry off so as not to fry it.) Systemics can be used to help kill off any root dwellers in addition to those above ground.

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A big thank you also to Sam and paul, I really appreciate your help and support for the advic3, I've been collecting cacti and succulents for well lets just say a long time and this is a first for me, I will keep thos plant away from the rest of the community and keep an eye on it.

Sam as soon as I get home I will check on the bottom of the pot for the above mentioned signs, again thanks for your time and tips and of course your experience and this also goes for all who pitched in.

Greg

• _sbgibbons_
    9 years ago

No problem at all, Greg. I hope it's only this one plant and that it doesn't take long for you to get rid of them. Those little guys are jerks. Haha.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

first off.. did you learn your lesson???? .. just never say it ... crikey.. lol ...

if you have a large collections of plants.. and surely this isnt some rare plant..

disposal is the best recommendation... and that would include all pups ...

is it really worth potentially exposing your whole collection.. or spending 20 dollars on remedies.. for a 5 dollar plant????

i would simply get rid of it.. and start a vigil or watchfulness for the rest of the plants...

it took me longer to type this.. than it would the chuck it out the back door.. to be run over with the lawnmower at the next opportunity .... and the pot would be cleaned out with 10% bleach if not also throw away ... but not mown into the grass ...

good luck

ken

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    9 years ago

Root mealy's? Really - again- not hard to cure on outdoor plants. Just knock it out of the pot,if you have them pests...rake off the old soil,replace with fresh. Succulents are tough plants and I'm sure with a good spray,fresh soil if needed,and more air movement it would come back strong.
    And a healthy plant rarely gets mealys.
    I've NEVER tossed a plant that had them. I think you get it Greg,pick off the rotted leaves,clean up...and your good to go.

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again everyone, I have sprayed it off, removed from the pot an sat it to the side, and this morning upon looking at the other plants, I noticed another plant that had the same thing, not sure if its coincidental but its the same type of plant. Which I think is a Echeveria Pearl Von Nurnberg, are these more susceptible to catch this mealy bug.

One thing I did as I mention is sprayed the white stuff off, removed from the pot an sat them to the side.
    How long after the spray down and removal should we replant. None of my other plants seem to have been affected, at least not that I can see on the surface.

Thanks , Greg

• mark4321_gw
    9 years ago

I find it bizarre (and a bit creepy) that adult male mealy bugs are flying insects.

I have also seen them (the white stage/sex that lives on plants) farmed by Argentine ants.

• paul_
    9 years ago

â¢Posted by mark4321
    I find it bizarre (and a bit creepy) that adult male mealy bugs are flying insects

Not so bizarre when you consider that it's the same story with scale which are close relatives of mealies.

There are a number of other examples in the insect world including some species of roaches.