Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting Stonecrop

Posted by Liz321 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 16, 12 at 22:41

Hello! I am not sure if this is the correct place, but I have sedum questions.

I have been given 8 or so Stonecrop plants that are currently about 2 and a half feet tall that I will be planting this week. When I pick a location, what kind of soil should they be in?

My yard is full sun, but has both wetter and dry clay areas and I'm not sure what they really prefer and what is the best treatment. I've had good luck with propagating smaller varieties in small beds, but with so many and such a large version, I have no idea!

They were all planted by my mother who passed several years ago, so I would really like to make sure they live.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting Stonecrop

Dry lean soil works best in my garden and plenty of sun. They are VERY easy to grow. You can take stems from your plant and simply stick them in the ground and new plants will grow. Mine get so tall they tend to flop so about early July I cut the plants back to keep them shorter and then I simply place the cuttings in the soil and water it. Within weeks I have new plants. Haven lost one yet. Last year at this time (Sept) I bought 1 large plant (Autumn Joy) and cut off many stems. Turned it into many plants. Almost all sedums can be treated this way- tall or short.
Good luck!

o
RE: Transplanting Stonecrop

Thanks Green Haven! We planted them in full sun near my fence line so they can lean against it if need be! They are actually the tallest sedum I've ever seen. I'm hoping to fill in another area with the little ones that broke off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here