Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
armstrongii love

Posted by teatree zone 8b/Oregon (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 30, 12 at 22:53

Labeled as a Gasteria nitida var. armstrongii hybrid, found today. Pretty happy. Look at those pups. I fancy the shape too--one side curving up; the other, downward.

I see such variation between plants with this ID on them, and all so great.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: armstrongii love

Most desirable - I keep hoping for the miniature armstrongii hybrid/cultivar pup growing to grow faster so I can detach it and send it to you. I'll try to get a picture of it for you soon.

Meanwhile, this doesn't look unlike a relative of your plant, in my pseudo-learned eye. Whaddya say, Colleen? It's strappy, bumpy and irregular like yours.

DSC08663

o

• Posted by teatree zone 8b/Oregon (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 30, 12 at 23:31

Bumpy, irregular, and surely pretty. Now, just to make sure, that's not the brother to the guy you sent over here, right? Because, if he is, jealous, because there's not a sign of a pup over here yet.

I speak of

which, by the way, has seemingly grown, though that may be something I'm making up in hopes that it's happy. I thought of it today when getting this new one. I put them side by side so that the new can intimidate the other.

o

Colleen,

That (pictured in my post) is the brother / sister to yours - it took a long time to pup for me.

The ones I'll show are different and minute, but they all supposedly share in the armstrongii love - one small step for Gasterias, one giant leap for the Aloeacae.

o

Glad I wasn't guessing wrong--looked like the sibling! Gives me hope for a future pup. I've thought that plant was probably in the same ID field.

And do show. :)

o

OK, but I claim no authenticity of the Armstrong - so many of them say they are but I just don't know. I've had them big and small with that moniker, as a species and subspecies.

Look how bumpy the parent is but strappy the pup be

Photobucket

My very own metric tape measure - I have to try hard to not say '3 and 15/16"'
Photobucket

o

Wow, yes, the mum there is very bumpy, and the pups look really nice. Love that texture. The bumpier of my two armstrongs has put out a new pup, just noticed this afternoon...hope it follows with more.

o

here is a nice variegated plant seen at a recent plant show

o

Beeeeautiful variegated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here