Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propagating Donkey Ear Kalanchoe and care

Posted by luvpatch Texas (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 26, 09 at 23:26

Hi! I received two baby leafs from a Donkey Ear Kalanchoe. Do I just place the leaf in a pot of perilite or soil and use rooting hormone? What is the best way to propagate this? And do I leave it in shade or sun while it is rooting? How long before it starts growing? My friends plant is a beautiful plant! Thanks for help with this!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propagating Donkey Ear Kalanchoe and care

What ever mix you use for the rest of your succulents. Lay the leaf flat down on the soil, and water once, then put the pot into a semi sunny location. Don't water again until you see little leaves coming up. Look this name up, I want to make sure we are discussing the same plant here.
Kalanchoe gastonis-bonnieri . I love this plant with enough sun it may turn red, at first grey with brown/green spots, the flowers light green. Must have winter warmth, know to be found in Madagascar. You should be able to get off sets on each notch of the borders and expecially on the tips of the leaves, makes a good basket plant when it gets older. The leaves may get very long, and flop over with babies on the tips.
When I really want a lot of them, I cut horizonatally across the spine on the front side (or cut the leaf in two) I get more offsets that way. I love this plant, it's good to share with children . Norma

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here