Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dividing "Dragon's Blood"

Posted by GreenThumbnail none (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 13, 12 at 23:27

Greetings,
I recently purchased a 1 quart Sedum spurium Dragon's Blood, and am wondering how to safely separate it, if at all possible at this small size. The base of the plant is healthy and dense, but I don't want to hurt it!

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dividing "Dragon's Blood"

• Posted by rina_ 6a Ont (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 14, 12 at 11:54

GT

I have this sedum growing outside & find it extremely easy. You can just brake off stems & stick in ground and it will grow. You can separate the rootball (just pulling gently apart), but I never had to, pieces always root.
I gave away so many (just clumps, mostly without roots), and it never failed.

Photobucket Photobucket

Rina

o

The 1st picture looks like Johnny Creech. Dragons Blood is a lot more red. The second pic looks a little bit like sedum Fulda Glow. All 3 are very similar. Dragons Blood is mostly a deep red, Johnny Creech is mostly green and Fulda Glow is an even mix of red and green. All three are easy to grow. I have them all in the same bed side by side. Out of the 3, I have found Dragons Blood to be the least vigorous but it still does very well. Just not as well as the other two. The plants are easy to divide. Just take a small chunk off by teasing or with a knife and plant and watch it grow. I love all three and think they look great mingled together in my rock garden :)

o

• Posted by rina_ 6a Ont (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 17, 12 at 13:36

GHG

It actually gets much more red in full sun. These are planted in shady location and are greener.
I could be wrong - but they are all from 1 original pot I bought couple of years ago & were marked 'Dragon's Blood'.
(I still have the marker).
Yes, the marker could have been wrong, it happens very often. Original plant was much redder.

Thanks for other ID's, I will keep them - just in case.
I am planting lots of them in very sunny spot, so will see next spring.

In either case, I think that sedums are very easy to divide - at least that is my experience.

The photo attached is of the same pot as in original post/2nd photo - it is getting little more sun now.

Rina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here