Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cactusmcharris

Best Pot of The Season

I don't know which one is Number One Pot, but they're all thrift store-sourced and most of them were less than $3. These are the ones I'll drill first.

{{gwi:655446}}

Here's the rest of the haul, which involves those lesser chosen - frankly, some of them might just get given away with a sprig o' jade in them. They too need drilling.

{{gwi:655448}}

I don't have a drill press - I wonder of masonry bits are best for stoneware. I know the diamond bits will do it, but lots of water and tension are necessary.

I somewhat wonder if all my pots were used, just how navigable the house would be?

{{gwi:655451}}

Comments (15)

• Lamora
    11 years ago

wow-- them is lots of pots!! lol I thought I went wild on pots in thrift stores! Good job on the great deals.. :)

• brodyjames_gw
    11 years ago

Hey Jeff, nice stash!

I just spent a week drilling holes in pots. I used various sized masonry bits, which work fine. Be warned, however, that if your pots are glazed on the bottom, you will only get through maybe 3-4 pots before your bit dulls. You can still use it, but it will take MUCH longer. I had 13 pots to drill; the first few went really quickly but the rest took almost a week...at one point, one of my bits was so hot it was glowing and turning the pottery gray at the "incision"!

Great minds think alike...I recently purchased 5 pots at an estate sale that are just like your terra cotta pot behind the pink pot in the first picture.

Have fun drilling!

Nancy

• jolj
    11 years ago

A glass/ceramic bit will work better, than a masonry bit.

• lme5573
    11 years ago

My DH drilled the pot on the right and I filled it immediately with my Hobbit Jade. I found two more pots for drilling this weekend. Now I see I need to do a little more cleaning - funny how a picture points out flaws you ignore in real life.

He used his drill press and a masonry drill bit. He said he goes slow and uses very little pressure. I'm sure I'll hear about it if he needs to buy a new drill bit.

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

My goodness!

Ooooo, so very nice. I wish I could find some like that. I can on imagine the challenge you will have ahead of you trying to figure out which plant deserves what pot. Not your average pot to be found at any store.

It almost makes you feel like you want to take up pottery classes and make your own.

Nice Jeff.

• americangolden
    11 years ago

Nice job on all the cheap pots you found! I like the green one in your first picture the most.

• hookilau
    11 years ago

I agree! Great haul you've got there.

Antoinette

• heygeno
    11 years ago

Heres what I do: TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP........ with a pointy chisel .... it is risky, but it is also part of the excitement of making a new pot from one w/o a hole !

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Nice bit of pottage Jeff!
    Now whats the best way of drilling holes in clay pots without breaking em?

• paul_
    11 years ago

Well that should keep you busy for a bit. Envy those with a drill press -- sure makes it easier. The diamond bits for ceramic pots seemed to help a great deal with the pots I have drilled. (Even then it takes quite a bit of time ... but the fact that I have to use a cordless drill is likely part of the issue. They just don't seem to have the speed and power of the plug-ins.)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Looks like you will be busy!!

I love all of the pots, but my favorite of them all is the scalloped (shallow) container in the first pic. Looks like it could be a special container for an awesome looking plant.

Thanks!!

Laura

• silentsurfer
    11 years ago

Jeff,
    what a nice little stash there!
    im a weekly thrift-shop-pot-shopper myself,,,

anyone tried these 'sandstone' bits?
    i still used a ceramic to start, then a masonry to finish,,
    But, it sure made quick work of Enlarging the already existing hole, , ,

quick tip: i found recently (buying cheap bits) that the ones that were slightly Bent, 'seemed' to work a little faster,,
    i guess it creates more of a hammer-drill type effect.

haa,, lme5573 and i must shop the same thrifts :)~

... i'll report back :)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

These are ones I use:

(glass/tile drill bit);
    if I remember correctly, they are also called 'paddle drill bit' or something like that...

• silentsurfer
    11 years ago

hey Rina!

thats a nice set, im kinda lookin to replace my worn out one here soon,,,
    i think 'Spade/Paddle' bits are something a little different tho,,

I found this cute little set of Pots at the thrift the other day,
    i think ALL pots should henceforth have Removable Drain Plugs! hehe

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Yes they should! So many messes are just from soil that's hydrophobically dry. These plugs would eliminate those drips and the ugly, dirty, limescale crusted drip trays that catch those "fake drips." Yes, I empty them, but they still get limescale by spring. Soil flushing would be 100% voluntary. Pots could be used to hold water cuttings if desired also.

Those pots are pretty, but look heavy. I don't like heavy pots but after seeing all of the cute ones throughout this post and other posts recently, I'm reconsidering my plastic only thing I've got going... will keep eyes open through winter to see what can be found...

Only a house plant addiction makes a discussion with this title legal! Ha!

Sponsored
DryHome Roofing & Siding, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars82 Reviews
Loudon Co. Roofing, Siding & Exterior Remodeler Best of Houzz 5 times!