Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allan870

What kind of Jade plant is this?

Allan870
11 years ago

My local big box store got a shipment of Jade plants tonight. This one was different than the rest. It almost reminds me of a lavender plant in shape. Does anybody know what variety this is? Thanks!

Comments (33)

• Allan870
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I hope this is a jade plant, and not mislabeled. But it came in with the rest of the Jade plants, and is labeled as one. I can't find it on Google.

• grabmebymyhandle
    11 years ago

crassula tetragona

jade tree is a generic term, i wouldnt call that a jade, but crassula ovata is a jade tree, very close. If it makes you feel better you can call it a jade and treat it the same too.

• Allan870
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you! I will probably purchase a traditional looking one tomorrow!

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

C.tetragona, had one of these, great plants.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Agreed, C. tetragona, I find them handsome.

• Allan870
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I went ahead and purchased 3 more. I think you'd call these Jade. :) I'm just starting out, but hopefully I'll have some beautiful plants to share. My friend inherited one that has been living since the '60s. I am trying to get her to share a photo with me. If she does, I'll share with you all!

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

Right: Crassula ovata 'Compacta' referenced as Crosby compact, or 'Hummel's Sunset' If sunset it has a very neat rainbow in color Deeper red coloring at tips of leaves lighter coloring moving downward to become shades of yellow This is commonly referenced by many as.....

Wait for it!

A 'Jade'.

Middle: Crassula ovata is also commonly called a "Jade" Might want to turn that pot soon see it leaning more toward the light? Not as colorful as Hummels Sunset but very nice in a rich red color.

Left: Crassula ovata 'Gollum' Your missing the other one known as Hobbit. Or you have Hobbit and would be missing Gollum. Neither are commonly called "Jade" Perhaps it's because they have a pretty fun title named characters from the book already. Both of these can get very brilliant in red color.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

I mostly agree with MrLike ;-)

On the LEFT, you have a small-leaf Jade, probably 'Crosby's Compact,' indeed.
    In the middle, a standard Jade, Crassula ovata. On the right, Crassula ovata 'Gollum.'

Good start to your collection!

Josh

• Allan870
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! I actually just had them there for the photo. They are in a south facing window sill. Next spring, I'll try potting them in a pot a size or two larger. I live in Arkansas, so I will be able to move them outdoors for most of the year. I also have a glassed in porch when they get too big for pots. Hoping that they do well!

• silentsurfer
    11 years ago

hey guys,
    ...i just got nearly the same batch from wallys myself,,
    i thought the one 'looked' 'kinda' like a 'Crosby's Compact',,
    but i really think its just a pale (light-starved) ovata ?
    How do you differentiate them again??

mrlike2u
    no offense mista, i 'kinda' got what your describing,, but ya did get left/right mixed up lol :)

Josh
    i promise not to textually chastise you via PM for answering without any firsthand knowledge of these sir! lolo

Allan,
    Nice Score! ya ditched those tin~buckets, right!? ;)

• Allan870
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Not yet! I plan on repotting them in a clay pot, but the only ones I can find in my small town are cracked. I thought about leaving them be until Spring, when the garden centers around here have restocked. I have purchased so many plants this year. I was talking to a coworker who also delivers mail. I was describing where I lived, and he said, "oh, the house with all the plants." Better than being house with all the junk I suppose. :)

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

Thanks guys. Left to right it is.

• silentsurfer
    11 years ago

Allan,
    lolo,, im known round here as the guy w/all the Plants, AND Junk! hehe
    i just asked about the tins cuz mine were sitting in water. ;/
    ..yea, finding the smaller clay's is becoming a challenge,,,
    im gonna repot (some), the others should be fine till spring, i think.

Mrlike2u
    so whats your verdict on mine sir? Crosbys? ..maybe??

regardless of what they 'actually' are, thats the colors i'd been longing to find.
    now if only i can supply the light to retain it. :)

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

so whats your verdict on mine sir? Crosbys? ..maybe??
    Wasn't sure you asked about an ID after examining all the evidence
    Yes the plant is guilty as charged. Nice coloring too good luck.

• Allan870
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@SlientSurfer

Mine were sitting in water too. I poured all of the water out. They were also in some kind of decorative paper. I removed the paper. I am keeping them in the tins for the winter, but I am making sure there is no water in the tins.

• jojosplants
    11 years ago

My 2cents worth..
    Those tins are bad news with no drainage hole! And if these plants came from a store like Wal Mart, then you can bet they are in the worst soil possible, heavy in peat which will retain moisture! A recipe for disaster, even if you plan to pour the water off.

They are much better off in a butter bowl with a hole punched in it than what they are in now.

they are nice plants and would hate to see you lose them.

I just stole 3 Jades from my brother that are a mess! LOL! All in ceramic pots and no drainage. In his defense a room mate left them behind. lol..
    but be it as it may.. he tried to water careful and pour off excess and it just doesn't work.

JoJo

• Allan870
    Original Author
    11 years ago

There is a container sitting inside of the tin that has drainage holes. The inside container does not touch the bottom of the tins.

What kind of soil do you recommend? I plant on replanting them in some clay pots as soon as it is spring. I am only going to water them when they are dry. I am good about keeping a daily eye on them though.

• Allan870
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If I had somewhere I could go to buy the pots now, I would. But I live in a small town, and none of the stores here have any right now. :\ I am keeping an eye out. I know my Wal-Mart will start getting new shipments in sometime in February. Also, would a cactus mix be good for these plants? I have used it with my succulents and desert roses, and they have done fine.

• jojosplants
    11 years ago

Hi Allan,
    Good to hear they are in another container! :-) Most I see aren't so that's why I worried. lol...

It's a shame you can't get pots now. :-( Stuff like that is year round here.

as far as mix, a lot of us use a gritty mix. I used to use comercial mixes with no luck! I learned of a gritty mix in the container forum, and that is what I use now. It is custom built so to say.

Most cactus and succulents need to be in a free draining mix that does not retain a lot of moisture.

I will try and round up a link or 2 for you to read soon if someone else doesn't jump in and help sooner. :-)

I've been away for a long time and am just not comfortable giving much more advice for fear of giving wrong.

JoJo

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

As Jo Jo suggested A sharp draining gritty mix ( custom made by you ) is far better than a bagged cactus soil.

Understanding that you are limited by a small town we can also discus some great alternatives to a traditional gritty mix but I and maybe others would like to know if there is any

Lowes or Home Depot near you ?

A Farming or general Feed and supply store near you such as Blue ribbon feed or Agway ?

By odd chance is there a Bosnia shop near you ?

Nice to see you too Jo-Jo

• jojosplants
    11 years ago

Oddly enough I live in the desert and have not been able to find a decent grit! lol.. But did get dry stall from a feed store and do like that.

mrlike2u.. Thank you.. good to see you too, and to be back. :-)

JoJo

• Allan870
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey, thanks for the responses.

I have a Home Depot in my town. I also have some Farm Supply (Co-Op) & Tractor Supply stores. I have not ever been in the co-op store though. From the outside, it doesn't seem very general public friendly to me. You can barely see the building for all the farm equipment, and I only see big farm trucks frequenting there. LOL

Maybe Home Depot will have some clay pots. I recently went in and purchased some Japanese Maples. They pots didn't jump out at me, but I honestly wasn't searching specifically for them. If they do, would it be safe to repot the Jade's now? The plants are currently in 4" pots. Would a 6" pot be good for them?

• Allan870
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Also, I'm not opposed to ordering the soil mixture online if I need to. I am not sure about ordering clay pots online though. I have never done it, and it seems like they could be damaged easy if not packed right.

I tried looking up the gritty mix, but it's kind of confusing to me. I have never mixed my own soil, other than just adding some perlite or sand to some miracle grow soil for some plants this year.

Thanks for help already provided though. I do greatly appreciate it. I don't have many plant loving friends around here. People like to admire my plant photos on FB, but that is rarely the extent of their involvement in them. :)

• Allan870
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I came across some clay pots by chance today! I was looking for 6", but they only had 8". I went ahead and purchased them. Now all I need to figure out the gritty mix, or maybe something Home Depot might sell, and I'm set!!

• elichka
    11 years ago

Allan870

I wouldn't recommend you to use 8" pots if your plants are in 4" pots. Usually you can size up only if plant is root bound. I wonder if your plants have great root system considering they are in a crapy soil. I used to order very good quality clay pots from Hirt's Garden. The shipping was only $5 for 40 3" and 4" pots. They packed very nice, lots of bubble wraps. In a case of broken pots they will replace. It was quick, 3 days maybe on my door step. Very satisfied.
    Go to petco and get yourself Repto bark. If you mix it w/perlite 50/50 and add a little MG cactus soil(I know, I know peat is no good) your jades will survive till spring. By that time I'm sure you will find all ingredients. Don't water them at least a week to give them acclimate in new soil mix and damaged roots to callus. Make sure to remove any rotten roots and sprinkle w/cinnamon.

Inna

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

Yes home depot should have some pots based on the size of plants in your pic they should do okay in four 4 inch Terra cotta for a season or two If separating any of them thinking eight 4 inch TC Pots would be the amount you would need.
    While at HD pick up some 1) roll of window screen metal would be better if not then nylon 2) a bag of construction sand in building materials 3) Repti bark would be a bit more pricy at pet co and by comparison HD would have a bag of orchid bark that you could get and break down by hand if you want.

There is a slight difference from farm and supply to Tractor but the TRACTOR FARM supply would also have feeds in form of grits. In order from best to not as best
    Dry stall ( ask if they have it chances are better they wont) a bag of either Turkey grit or chicken grit.

If you have a farm feed and supply store like agway save the trip to HD and the tractor supply and add a bag of aged pine fines

Sift into a kitty litter box sized catch container with the window bug screen ( metal) some of the construction sand KEEPING what didn't fall though the screen into the catch container. Then sift some of the turkey or chicken grit and keep what didn't fall though the screen.

Your mix will be 1-1-1 after tearing up the orchid bark or the repti bark OR if you found them aged bark fines would be needing sifting

You end results after sifting should be rocky porous and fast sharp draining.
    Also cut a piece of the bug screen to cover the bottom placing at the bottom hole of each pot

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

GW grrrrrr

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

Further to what mrlike illuminated us with, I find that if you get #1 or #2 poultry grit and rinse it - it takes out all of the dust - set aside to dry (or not) and use it as an important part of your mix. Drystall (pumice) is the best, though, but I've yet to find it at any farm supply / tack shop up here.

That's some trunk-ringed-goodness there, mrlike.

• Allan870
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for your help. I was able to find the 6" pots. But my local Home Depot did not have any Orchid Bark. I still wanted to get them out of their pots, so I did the best I could do with what I could find. I potted them similar to some Desert Roses that I own, which have done wonderful for me.

I put some lava rock at the bottom of the pots. Then I mixed a mixture of peralite (about 75%), MG fast draining cactus mix, (maybe 10%), and the rest sand. The mix seemed "gritty" enough to me. I think this will at least help me get to Spring until I can figure out a way to mix the soils you all recommended. I do appreciate the help. I have saved all of these suggestions!

Also, aren't Jades supposed to be slowing growth around this time? I have mine indoors, sitting in a South facing window. I have noticed a lot of new growth on all four of them. The Fall has been pretty warm temperature wise. I still haven't had to water them either. But maybe conditions are still good for them at the moment. Thanks again for all your help!!!

• Allan870
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here are the plants after the winter. The C.tetragona did not survive. But the other Jade plants did just fine. I replaced the lost one with the one on the far right. The the trunks of the plants are starting to get thick and woody. I pruned the new growth over the winter. If the weather gets nice, I am going to take them outdoors and let them grow. I've kept them in a South facing window all winter, and they received a lot of sunlight.

• Allan870
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've also started many new plants from the leaves I pruned over the winter.. I plan on keeping these as the mother plants, and then giving the new plants out to friends. I just gave my Grandmother one this weekend.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

They look fantastic.
    Great Winter care.

Josh

• Allan870
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Josh!