Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aloe Vera Plant Tilting?

Posted by eemedrelyt (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 18, 10 at 0:07

My aloe is growing very well, but the top of it is starting to grow bigger than at the bottum. What can I do to stop the plant from tilting? Do I prune it, plant it deeper, or what?

Heres pictures:

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k309/eemedrelyt/DSCN0275.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k309/eemedrelyt/DSCN0277.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k309/eemedrelyt/DSCN0279.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aloe Vera Plant Tilting?

First, the plant is Aloe variegata

Second, remove it from the pot. Those two plants have different cultural requirements, and will do better in their own pots.

Third, carefully remove the pups from the mother aloe. You may find more that you can't see now. They grow on specialized 'roots' called rhizomes. If these can't find a way to the surface, they wind around the pot, sometimes emerging from the drain hole. You will need sharp shears or scissors. Cut the pups about 2 inches below the lowest leaf. Let them dry in the air for a few days, allowing the cut end to callous. Then plant in dry soil, and wait for roots to form. Aloe variegata is a 'winter grower' meaning Sept-Nov, and Feb-April. It is summer dormant, giving too much water at that time will promote root rot. Depending on where you live, it should be entering a period of slow growth until early spring. Don't give lots of water during the coldest and darkest months.

Fourth, now that you have removed all the soil, rhizomes, and pups, you can carefully examine the main stem for signs of fungal infection. If everything looks OK, repot in a six to 8 inch diameter container. You can bury it a little deeper if you like to prevent it from leaning over. Soil should be at least 75% percent or more inorganic materials like pumice (scoria), perlite, gravel, turface, etc. with particle sizes in the 1/8 to 3/8 inch range. Use no sand in the mix. Most commercial C&S mixes contain too much peat. A very quick draining mix is required.

Lastly, your recent rapid growth may have been caused by low-light etiolation. This is when the stem grows quickly and the space between leaf nodes gets larger as the plant stretches for more light. Give this plant as much sunlight as possible. This is the time of year when you would expect growth. More light will produce a shorter, more compact, and tougher plant.

I'm sure you will have lots of other questions which the people here will be glad to answer. There is a link to more info on this plant at the bottom of my post. Happy Growing!

Brad

Here is a link that might be useful: Aloe variegata

o
RE: Aloe Vera Plant Tilting?

Ok, Thank you a lot!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here