Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilbit7777

help me please!!!!:(

LilBit7765
9 years ago

Ok so I OBVIOUSLY NEVER repotted my avacado agave because I was scared as you know what after my aloes rotting. But my boyfriend had to babysit his mothers cat and the little rotten DEVIL ð¹ decided my plant need to be torn off his stand and then peed on him!!! ð¦ð so needless to say I am FURIOUS! So he tinkled on it and it got on the plant in down the one side of the soil so I pulled it out (I actually had to cut the plastic pot off it) now the pups have come loose. I have never seen roots like this in my life. I'm assuming the white thick ones are tap roots? Is that right? So do I leave this plant to set out to callus any roots that have been broken? If do, how long? I have gritty mix to put it in or I made a concoction of cactus soil with probably 75% perlite. Which one to use? I love the gritty mix but to be quite honest I'm scared to use it for this because my crocodile plant aloe and other aloe rotted though I did NOT let the roots callus thinking going into gritty they didn't need to. So I didn't, they rotted. And I did put them in a damp mix because it was prerinsed and I have not had ANY other problems with the mix like that with any other type of plant. Oh, also should I trim these roots up? Sorry this is soooo long, I just don't want to screw this up! Also, what to do with the pups? Thanks for ALL YOUR HELP!! (Also if it goes into the gritty, I need to clean the roots TOTALLY off and the bottom leaves are NOT rotting it's soil, trust me, I checked lol)

Comments (12)

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

PS no harm was done to the kitty even though I did want to ring his little neck at the time lol (that's where counting to ten when from raising kids comes in handy lol) so here's a closer pic of the roots

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the pups apparently I fibbed one does NOT have roots, he broke off the big white root. Can I just root him like any other cutting? And can the others be potted right away, or wait? Maybe I should try one in gritty and the other in the cactus soil/perlite concoction? Whatcha think?

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm wondering if a "different" kind of gritty works better for agaves? Like maybe just half and half of turface and grit? Anyone have one of these and is using a form of gritty mix? I'm not too keen on putting ANYTHING back into cactus soil and perlite. I have obviously:
    *Cactus soil
    *Perlite
    *Reptibark
    *Turface
    *Chicken grit
    *Sphagnum Peat Moss (which I have NEVER used so far and I have a 3 cubic feet 85 L compressed which is a whole crap ton lol so what type of plants besides carniverous plants is this good for or is this good to propagate with? Sorry just thinking about how I'm moving and am I REALLY going to use this?! Lol)
    *Hardwood fines bark mulch (this was my first attempt at Al's gritty mix I still don't know if it can even be used for it though)
    *Bordine's CUSTOM potting mix (lol I got this b4 I even new MG soils were bad. I should probably throw it away bcuz I don't even know what's in it besides perlite. It doesn't have a list of ingredients) oh well I'm sure I'll find something for it. Bcuz I HATE wasting stuff. Maybe for cuttings......anyway I'm rambling sorry I'm extremely tired from moving then this happened and I'm SICK on top of it! :( so any recommendations for whats best as an agave mix would AS ALWAYS be GREATLY appreciated. (Also read on the internet that I should let the roots callus for ATLEAST two days. Is that correct? Longer? Thanks again.

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    9 years ago

The whole letting roots callus thing is new to me. I learned with two plants this year that I probably should've. They made it and are doing better now but they were sad looking for weeks. I would think that you could go ahead and put it into the gritty mix, just dont water it for a few weeks. And wouldn't potting it have potential for a little more damage to the roots. Not sure if that is true - just logical thinking to me.

As far as your soil mix that you dont know what to do with, I have found that my herbs do well in C&S bagged soil. Its pretty humid here in Iowa and I had some herbs in regular potting soil and some in C&S and the regular potting soil actually mildewed! It was gross!

• _eee
    9 years ago

LitBit, I do not live in your area so I do not want to give you any advise other than to tell you my experience with my Aloes. I have transplanted them and put pups in separate pots. I did let them sit for a couple of days out of the pot and then put them in gritty type mix but I did not water for about a week and lucky for me they are doing fine and growing. I hope that helps a little bit.
    Dottie

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Deva and Dottie! I appreciate the feedback! :)

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Looks as the bottom of the pot got a little to warm.
    Once reastbilshed in the pot size you have now you might want to repot it in a deeper pot Keep in mind that a warmer pot with moisture in it also builds up heat inside and can ' cook' roots in the warmer '' steam''... per say
    The warmer inside of a pot will also happen in a pure grit mix as well to prevent warming build up different pot types hold back higher temps for cooler roots.

• hijole
    9 years ago

In my neck of the woods, which is California these type of plants grow wild so I can't help you out lilbit but I can say they look perfectly fine in the pictures.
    Maybe your just being a careful momma.

Greg

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Greg! I REALLY want to so whats best without harming it

• brodyjames_gw
    9 years ago

Just pot 'em up and wait a few days before watering. Those "tap roots" are pups winding their way up to the soil surface. When you repot, rebury them. They'll make their way through eventually.

Nancy

• hijole
    9 years ago

LilBit, I'm really not sure what the climate is like where you live but in my area it doesn't take much, as a matter of fact I used to have an area where nothing would grow, because either gasoline 0r oil had spilled, or both but nothing would survive that I planted in that area, so I decided to plant some agave's in that spot and you guessed it, those agaves grew up to be so BIG & strong, That's why I say they're not very fussy.

However, if you're having a hard time getting them to grow and develop i would just make sure they have quick draining soil, they will feel very comfortable and then hopefully start producing a bunch of baby agave's for you, is that what you desire? ðÂÂÂ

Experiment with different soils looking for the best results that's what I do sometimes, like they say, don't put all your eggs ( Agave's ) in one basket. At least not until you know it's working out good for you.
    Let us know how it goes for your babies.

Greg

This post was edited by hijole on Sat, Oct 4, 14 at 10:51

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! Thanks Greg!