Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenman28

Portulacaria afra re-potting - pics

Finally got around to re-potting this Port. afra, my first.

I took a few pics along the way. I started with an awful gaggle of rooted stems (no large mother plants available, alas!). I selected the more "tree like" stems for single-trunk plantings, and then loosened the roots of the other stems and re-potted them as a group in an upright fashion (to be separated and potted individually in the spring).

1. The gaggle...

2. The gaggle a bit closer....

3. Hosed, loosened, one stem separated...

4. First stem selected....

5. First and second stems selected...

6. First stem sitting next to some bark....

7. First stem sitting next to bark and gravel, into which it is about to go...

8. Second stem, potted upright, supported by random stones....

9. The remaining group, in the group pot...

1. Group pot, closer.....
  1. All three together....

The central stem of the individual plant in the middle of the photo has since been staked upright.

Josh

Comments (8)

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Josh, your tree looks good already..lol..will you remove bottom branches when they grow in? Wait until they get 'x' high?
    When you removed branches, did each have roots? For some reason, when I try expanding your pictures, it takes me another page, then an error..why is that?

What will you with the group pot? Allow them to grow tall? Toni
    Very good job.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi, Toni, thanks!
    I don't know what's up with photobucket...I was trying to make it easy on those with slow internet connections, but I guess that won't be possible this time. I'll post big pics in a minute. First, to answer your questions:

On the little "trees," I'm going to let the low branches grow, to help thicken the base of the trunk. In the future, I might prune them off to reveal the trunk....maybe.

The group of plants in the pot will be encouraged to grow upright, so that I can turn them into solo trees come spring.

When I separated the stems, they all had roots and were all tangled together. That's why I just ripped them apart, once I'd loosened the root-ball with the hose.

Okay, let me go fetch the images....

{{gwi:657455}}
    {{gwi:657457}}
    {{gwi:657460}}
    {{gwi:657464}}
    {{gwi:657465}}
    {{gwi:657467}}
    {{gwi:657469}}
    {{gwi:657471}}
    {{gwi:657473}}
    {{gwi:657475}}
    {{gwi:657477}}

Josh

• ryan820
    15 years ago

Josh--

I wonder if they growth habits of the port afra are different from the variegated types? They seem to have the exact same structure as common port afras-- at least as young plants.

Nice pics

Ryan

Original Author
    15 years ago

Greetings, Ryan!
    Thanks for stopping by. I hope to take lots of pics of these plants as they exhibit progress. I agree - the structure, joints, and growth-habit look nearly the same as other afras. The only thing I've heard to the contrary is that the variegated type grows slower than the straight afra. I'm patient, though, and willing to wait.

Plus, next spring I'm going to experiment with growing a few of my succulents in-ground during the course of the summer - I think that will help size up these Port. afra stems, if they really are slower growing. I'm going to plop a couple jades in-ground, too.

Next spring, all of these plants are getting bigger pots, no matter what happens.

Josh

Original Author
    15 years ago

Saturday morning, two more pics.
    With these afras, I think I'll go one narrow and one broad for contrast in form as I explore the growth habit. Who knows, I might change my mind entirely. The plant on the right is supported by a kabob skewer. In any event, the weather here is wonderful today, with temps even now creeping toward the 80°F mark.

It looks as though photobucket's thumbnails are clickable again (or were when I last previewed this message), so we'll give the smaller pics a try. Enjoy!

Josh

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Nice Plants Josh!! Best of luck with them...thanks for sharing your pictures!

By the way, I got this idea from Caudex(I think)? I took a reg. aloe, cut it off to about 2-3" and hoped for the best. This is what it looks like after several weeks. I have a quarter next to it for size reference...

{{gwi:657483}}

• TT, zone 5b MA
    15 years ago

Hey Josh -

The P. Afras look great - and so does your weather! I wish it was approaching the 80's here today... Sure would help my electric bill.

And, Pug - that aloe looks very cool.

T

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Thanks Tom,

You have some of the "nicest and pretty impressive" bonsais I've ever seen...I just LOVE your bonsais!!