Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

Dioscorea sylvatica--too many seedlings!

mark4321_gw
9 years ago

In mid June I got seeds of Dioscorea sylvatica from Seedhunt.com. I planted them and got really good germination quickly--about 18 plants from 20 seeds, I think. A picture of 3 caudexes, partly dug up, about 4 months after planting is shown below.

It's not clear to me how interesting of a species this is. I really like Dioscorea elephantipes and D. mexicana, and this was advertised as a quicker and easier relative. My impression from looking online is that there are different varieties of D. sylvatica, which differ significantly. It's not clear to me which variety this is.

Here's what the seller (Seedhunt) says:

"Dioscorea sylvatica - Dioscoreaceae, Eastern South Africa, Drakensberg. A summer growing/winter dormant perennial herbaceous vine that rapidly forms a fascinating corky caudex. This species, close to the classic elephant's foot plant, grows much faster and is more cold hardy, probably tolerating hard frosts. Young plants sometimes skip dormancy in mild climates. The vine, bearing glossy heart-shaped leaves, can twine 15' up into trees or on a trellis. Male plants bear small spikes of yellow, fragrant flowers. Female plants produce spikes of papery, three-winged fruit. The caudex is low and broad, widening by growth at its periphery. The surface is covered with tubercles of dark cork. It is possible to raise the caudex gradually with each repotting to produce interesting forms. In the ground the caudex may reach 2' across in 4 years and must be shaded from direct sun. Sow seed in spring. "

This post was edited by mark4321 on Fri, Oct 17, 14 at 0:58

Comments (6)