Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wantonamara

Morning walk with coffee and plants

It was beautiful out there in the bight low sun and dew. Hard to do it justice with the camera.I see some winter color sneaking in there.

Agave vilmoriniana
{{gwi:658029}}

{{gwi:658030}}

Opuntia "ponytail"

{{gwi:658031}}

{{gwi:658032}}

Kalanchoe luciae

{{gwi:658033}}

{{gwi:658034}}

{{gwi:658035}}

Comments (11)

• Central_Cali369
    10 years ago

That opuntia looks so cool!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

All I have for it is the knee jerk name of Ponytails. Gag me with a meathook! I would love to know the parentage of the hybrid, if it is a hybrid. I found a picture of a large specimen on a flicker site and sent an inquiry about the plant , but have heard nothing back yet. The plant was by a old mexican market in a small town somewhere in Mexico, I know not where. The site it was on was a Mexican photographer/ biologist site. Maybe it is NOT a hybrid.

When I got the plant, It had just arrived from the growers at a nursery. On my way out, 5 people saw it and ran , yes ran, to the C&S section . It was not there long. I already have a line of people begging for a pad. It will never get large at this rate. Matter of fact it will disappear into nothingness in its pot.

I need to do some experiments to find out how small one can cut a pad to get a plant off of a cutting.

This post was edited by wantonamara on Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 13:37

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Always love to see your beautiful shots, Mara! Thanks for the morning walk!

• 100mphtortoise
    10 years ago

Nice pics Mara, I like your furry opuntia that's pretty neat, you helped me out today on an I.d. On an opuntia paraguayensis that I've been trying to i.d for some time now. I googled opuntia ponytail and a pic of my cactus showed up, along with pics of that furry opuntia you have and someone else was on some other forum trying to figure out if it was also a hybrid. Thank you

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

100mph, How did I help you with a ID of something I didn't have?I am confused.

• ChasingCenturies (Arizona 9b)
    10 years ago

^ By posting your pic, along with a common name, I'd gather.

How can you walk, drink coffee and take pictures all at the same time? I can't walk and chew gum.

• 100mphtortoise
    10 years ago

Sorry, I was excited and started typing and it got all jumbled together. I looked up ponytail opuntia for more info on it and went to photos three pics came up of your plant and a pic. Of a plant I've been trying to I.d.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ahhh, a case of serendipitous googling. Now I understand

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

GErmanstar, I am talented. I can multitask when it comes to coffee. coffee and waterhose, coffee and pickaxe, coffee and table saw, coffee and spray gun. Coffee and camera is a walk in the park.,

• ChasingCenturies (Arizona 9b)
    10 years ago

Oh no!!! Not a walk in the park, too! ;-0

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If truth be told, I am known to put my coffee down in amongst my numerous plants, and walk off leaving it and then ... getting another cup. Irritates my husband dishwasher.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida