Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ctreeteac

little new blue Aloe

Colleen E
11 years ago

This lovely little Aloe is settling in. I am not normally a big Aloe lady, but this blue, the subtle line pattern, and the coral-colored teeth.

{{gwi:658196}}

Doesn't look as pristine yet, but Jeff, looks pretty nice!

{{gwi:658201}}

A bit of purple

{{gwi:658204}}

+ green

{{gwi:658206}}

Comments (30)

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

That Aloe looks like one I had, Aloe cla something. It was described to me as having a texture like shark skin.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I would be interested in the Aloes ID. It is too light for aloe glauca, to thin for A. claviflora, Aloe dhufarensis does not have the striping in the adult pictures, Aloe karaasberensis has marginal "blades" not teeth but has that coloring and pronounced stiping. Maybe it is an etoliated A claviflora. Interesting. HMMM. I listed some knock dead gorgeous aloes here. Just writing their names makes me drool.

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I would be interested too! Well, it is from a reputable nursery with a nice greenhouse and great care of the plants, so minor etiolation I might not be surprised over, but fairly severe, I personally would be surprised. The few there were all this gorrrrgeous light blue with that striping. No idea what the adult plant would be like.

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

I have had young Aloe glaucas look like that. Aloe striata also looks like that except for the teeth, but Aloe striata x maculata can look like that as a small plant.

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I honestly thought, to me, it really resembled A. glauca, but I know little. Thank you, guys, for all the suggestions.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Can you contact the nursery for a ID?

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just did, actually, and received a slightly unsure ID of A. glauca. I'll look forward to it growing up, and we'll see. A. glauca is lovely, so I'd be happy if it were proven true.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Here is a picture of my Aloe glauca grown from a pup.

{{gwi:658209}}

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just did, actually, and received a slightly unsure ID of A. glauca. I'll look forward to it growing up, and we'll see. A. glauca is lovely, so I'd be happy if it were proven true.

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, the cat managed to walk across the keyboard, backtrack, and resubmit the previous message. Grand job. Erfg.

Bright teeth on that gorgeous specimen, Mara. Has it done well in that horrendous summer sun?

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Claviflora, thats it! It changes as it matures, lovely Aloe!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I have it growing in sun from sunrise to about 2 and once a week watering. It did well last year in the 100- 115 weather for 70 days. I think it could tale more sun but that is where I have it. It was a milder wetter summer this year. It is happy so why chance it. Iy has not graced me with a bloom yet. It has taken freezes down to 26. I have not chanced lower than that. I do move it down to a stone patio with cement pillars and southern sun so it gets thermal mass warming and all day sun. Its cold hardiness is rated at mid 20's on the Brian Kembles Hardiness list. Then it says "very hardy and wet tolerant". "mid twenties" is not VERY hardy to me.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

My aloe glauca pups, (Not seedlings) are slightly darker blue green than this one. I grew it from a pup and not a seedling. Mr. Kemble says that Aloe claviflora is hardy to 20 but it rots readily when wet too long. I am rooting for the claviflora. So , just incase, here's the info. That is a gorgeous aloe and once it starts throwing pups, I sure would like one. LOL. I will send a glauca pup.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

Colleen,

For me, that Aloe's too young to ID, and it will be fun to watch it grow and ID for sure.

The crest is doing fabulously - I think it might be an Oregon native the way you've got it growing.

Grrrr - cats. Yoko (who's leaving our home soon - she cannot get along with the Queen Bee) has messed up and into a bowl planting I've got to rebuild. Grrrr.

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I appreciate the hardiness information. And if it's claviflora, once it's pupping, you got it, Mara.

Crest has done well indeed in the greenhouse. Heart-shaped leaf made a little one too. And naughty Yoko, but how horrible about her having to leave. I hope she can go with a family member or friend? How long have you had her/had her in disagreement with Queen Bee?

This will be first winter with Margot, now a year old...hope she continues to be well-behaved when Aeoniums and others come in the house some evenings. She has attempted to chew on a Gasteria a small handfull of times, but each time the older cat has slapped her for it.

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    11 years ago

minus that small "t" that jumped in that statement.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

And I was misting it earlier, Colleen, so it was in both of our thoughts. There's still some green to it, but it is bereft of robustness.

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Can't say mine has all its robustness currently, but glad to hear it's living. I'd replace it if it were to croak.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Here's the claviflora I had

{{gwi:658212}}

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Wantonmara, I had a glauca just like yours, repotting is a really painful experience! Fabulous plants tho! I miss my Aloes!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Strange. I do not find transplanting them painful at all, but then I compare iyt to Prickly pears and agave's

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Ive had those too. Agave were tame compared to my spiky Aloes

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

I seriously doubt your Aloe seedling is claviflora- very rare for one, and two, Aloe claviflora seedlings, even when quite small, or distinctly 'fat-leaved' and stiff (you could not bend their leaves without breaking them... even as 1-2 leaf seedlings). Here is a plant I grew from seed, though I don't have a shot of it when it only had one leaf.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Chubby little bugger

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Adorable little chubs too. Thank you for sharing the shot, and I would doubt it's that ID as well. I appreciate knowing the characteristics.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Here are some shots of my Aloe glauca pups and the mother with a garden muddied foot for scale. I have small feet.

{{gwi:658215}}

{{gwi:658217}}

{{gwi:658219}}

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mara, your camera is so bloody nice. As I know I've said before.

Splendid plant there. Gives me something to really look forward to.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I Thank you. Cameras and me have been friends for 52 years. Now I take my pictures to Iphoto and I balance the colors and exposure levels as I was taught to balance the colors when I printed my color prints back in the "old days". If the colors are balanced the Haze of atmosphere will be cleared up and colors POP. Today was cloudy and that makes the colors richer and forms have no hot spots. Cameras don't necessarily see right. I make the shot as I see it. I just wish my feet weren't so dirty, and my toes longer and more graceful. I guess there is alway Photo Shop

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cameras have their own 'eye.' And haha, God do I have weird feet. Stubby little things, like my hands.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Lovely glaucas there! I lost mine before they had chance to grow past the twin leaf phase.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area