Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
aloe ID

Posted by Microthrix 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 1:33

Ive had this aloe for about 4 years now, and it has grown nicely, even though it is still a bit small. i had it in a pot for about 3 years, and just last year i put it in the ground.
it seems to be ok with full sun, although it has yellowed a bit in summer. it has pupped prolifically, and has piut out tons of flowers. so any ideas?
Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: aloe ID

I am not possitive. Aloe peckii , Aloe mcloughlinii , or a hybrid between A. jucundi and one of those above. I think I am voting for aloe mcloughlinii. My understanding of A pekii is that its markings pale ast enters adulthood. Your rosettes seem crowded and strappier and upward curving instead of firmly outward open rosettes. It might be cultural but it might be a different species too. I am not an expert , just a blabber. Coffee does it to me.

If this is your aaloe. I would be interested in a small pup after awhile.

Here is a site thsat shows how confusing it can be in this corner of aloehood.

Here is a link that might be useful: Confusing striped aloes.

o

now that I have seen true Aloe mcloughliniis from location in Africa, I am pretty sure that is not that, nor does it look like Aloe peckii, which are notoriously sluggish off setters and generally have lost most of the spotting by the time they are in the offsetting stage. Aloe jucundiis are smaller. My guess is the same as 90% of all the similar looking aloes shown- Aloe hemmingii... very typical of this species.

o

My hemmengii still has not pupped but that is not a disagreement. My hemmengii is short and stout so my guess was for something other but it is a loner still and not pupping...Not a disagreement because I really don't know. This hemmengii is grown in part shade and watered once a week, sometimes twice a week. The markings and marginal teeth look right.

Here's looking at you #1

o

wantonamara, what is that pod in your picture?

o

That is a Stapelia gigantea bud just before opening.

o

Oh my, I forgot about this post :O thanks for the ideas on an Id guys :P there's even more pups now, and the plant looks healthier, so you sure can have a pup Mara. (If you still want one that is) just shoot me an email. (Use the one I posted in my bio, not the main garden web one)

o

I am unsure by what you mean"your bio" I emailed the one on your page and it came back with problems. You can get a hold of me through my email on my page. I will try again in a bit. Busy day ahead.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here