Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cyanea_gw

Diseased cacti. What is it? How to treat/prevent?

Matt G
12 years ago

Here is possibly the worst case of this disease I have seen in my plants (on Echinopsis subdenudata). Many of my cactus plants have been getting this disease.

Some susceptible cacti: Leuchtenbergia principis, Rebtia heliosa, Echinocereus viridiflorus

Some resistant cacti: Astrophytum spp., Echinocactus, Parodia spp.

My Hoodia plants are also having similar symptoms. Most of my plants just get small brown spots all over. It seems to somewhat be from growing conditions, since some of my Echinopsis plants in other areas of my garden have symptoms only visible upon close inspection (not a problem to me). Has anyone seen this before and know what it is? It is my speculation that this is a fungal or bacterial disease.

{{gwi:659913}}

Comments (6)

• ariocarpus78
    12 years ago

I think your cacti is being attacked by spider mites. I only know two options to treat it (there may be more): Increase the humidity or introduce a mite that eats the spider mite.
    I might be wrong though.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    12 years ago

If it is spider mite, you should be able to see them with a magnifying glass as they are VERY tiny. And if it is an infestation of mites, Bayer Advanced 3-in-1 Insect, Didease & Mite Control or any insecticide containing Imidacloprid (Merit) will do the trick. Find it at any of the big box stores.

• Matt G
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thnks for the replies. I do use imidicloprid on my plants, but mainly for mealybugs and ants. Not all my plants have been treated and I haven't tried to observe any differences between plants that have been treated and those that haven't. Now that you both have mentioned mites I will do a closer examination. Are the mites you refer to the same spider mites that cause yellowish/copper speckling on broadleaf plants (red, brown, and two spotted spider mites)? I don't seem to have a spider mite problem on any of my susceptible non-cacti plants but I do have broadleaf mite damage on highly susceptible plants.

• amccour
    12 years ago

Looks like mites, yeah. You could try washing the plant off to. They're not that strongly attached. Spraying it with neem or something could work.

Probably not fatal. I had this happen on one of the (few) surviving cactus I had and it just started branching/offsetting -- essentially what yours is doing.

That reminds me. I also use Imidacloprid to treat mealies. I heard it wasn't toxic to mammals unless ingested and in fairly large quantities. Since my plants are inside right now (Yay complete lack of fall, straight to winter!), should I worry about trace amounts of it getting on my carpet/clothes when I water things?

• amccour
    12 years ago

I've never actually had an issue with spider mites being really persistent. As I said, I usually just hose them off on the rare occasion some do show up, and I don't get much of a recurrence. On the other hand I have a TON of issues with mealies. I wonder if it's a regional thing.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor