Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bsmith717

Lets see those Euphorbias!!!

Brandon Smith
11 years ago

I was first introduced to the Euphorbia by a friend I work with. He has had his Euphorbia Trigona for almost 20 years and it is a massive plant. He had the piece he gave me in a cup with water for over a year so needless to say the roots were massive! It was about 10" tall and I was actually quite worried about killing it as over the years I have loved more plants to death then I care to admit to. But after potting it ant waiting about 8 months for it to trust me it has been growing like a wild beast ever since.

Here is is when I first got it. Due to its phallic appearance we gave it a nick name that is a fusion of two words, the first part is another name for a rooster and starts with a C and the other is cactus. I'm sure you can figure it out...

Here it is when I got it.

{{gwi:660529}}

Here it is in front of my daughters favorite outdoor toy for size reference.

{{gwi:660530}}

Where it sits now, in the cold season.

{{gwi:660531}}

My newest acquisition a Euphorbia trigona "red"/"royal red". we shall see how long this one takes for me to earn its trust...

{{gwi:660532}}

So what do you have in the Euphorbia family and what stories do you have to tell about them????

Comments (141)

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hey Purple,

Nice colors on this new purchase. Just checking, you know to be cautious about their sap right? Wash well after handling, if cutting, etc. maybe even wear gloves? Just in case.

• petrushka (7b)
    11 years ago

i think those are submammilaris and polygona , i got them as NOID . i've had them for almost 20 years. submammilaris grew very huge and then collapsed, this is just a little 2" piece that 'grew up' in last 5 years.

• petrushka (7b)
    11 years ago

and another 20 year companion: lactea cristata . it sports quite a bit, i have to cut them off often. does anybody know if it's possible to reduce the number of sports?

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Yes, PG, that's what the reference to accident was about. The warning applies to all E's (sap, as you mentioned,) AFAIK.

I could get a rash just looking at it, which I'm enticed to do often. Just so darn weird and snazzy, I succumbed to his charms, even though I know he just wants to irritate me. Will find him another home if we have to break up, but plan to avoid touching it in any way, ridiculous caution, as if it were poison ivy. If I feel like I'm getting weak and need some contact, I'll definitely practice safe lex (half latex...,) and use prophylactic measures.

• Brandon Smith
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Funny Purple, safe tex perhaps!

My buddy at work who I got my first Phorb from trimmed his Lactea a few months ago and wound up looking like he got mugged afterwards. All swollen up in his eye area, it was pretty bad.

I really like the fire sticks and have been trying to find some for myself. I'm not sure about the coloration in my area since I wouldn't be able to keep them outside year round. Hopefully the would color up good in the summer at least?

Old plants are the best IMO Petrushka and those are pretty old and looking good to me!

• azpedsrn
    11 years ago

I've enjoyed all the pictures but it has renewed by desire for an Obesa. I've never seen one in the stores and wondered where those of you that have one got it. Are they more difficult to grow? I live just outside of Phoenix and have quite a few cacti and succulents on my back patio and also have a lighted plant stand inside. Which would be better for growing this variety?

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    11 years ago

Miles Anderson has them for sale www.miles2go.com. I grow mine from my own seed. Should have some small ones by fall of this year; I've given away/traded/sold all of the ones I had.

• Brandon Smith
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Also, Piragte Girl. Please do me a favor and let me know how to get a piece of that E. milii v. moratii!

• azpedsrn
    11 years ago

Bikerdoc, I saw some seeds for sale on ebay and thought about buying them. I haven't tried growing from seed but maybe it's worth a try. Otherwise, I'll watch this fall for your sale or a trade. Thanks.

• Brandon Smith
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The only cacti/succulent I've tried from seed were aloes. And that was a horrible failure. Maybe it was the wrong time of year and I couldn't provide enough light. Ill be trying again here shortly hopefully with better results.

• Brandon Smith
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just got a couple more awesome additions to the Phorb list!

E. leuconeurea

{{gwi:660720}}

{{gwi:660722}}

E.Bupleurifolia x Suzannae

{{gwi:660724}}

{{gwi:660726}}

If anyone can give me any helpful hints on either of my new acquisitions I would be much obliged.

• teengardener1888
    11 years ago

oh my!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! who new therewere so many varieties. ive only grown E. pulcherrima. i dont have any to show

• Brandon Smith
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I too was amazed at the diversity and sheer number of specimen in the Euphorbia family.

So anyone got any tips on my new leuconeurea or Bupleurifolia x Suzannae like lighting/temp tolerances/preferences?

All I got so far is the Bup likes to be crowded in its pot and really doesn't enjoy too much water whereas the Leuconeurea appreciates a good amount of water.

Thanks!

• Brandon Smith
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Time to post up what's been growing this season!

My e.bup x suzannae are growing like weeds as are (what I believe are) e.cylindrifolia.

{{gwi:660728}}

{{gwi:660730}}

{{gwi:660732}}

{{gwi:660734}}

{{gwi:660736}}

{{gwi:660738}}

{{gwi:660740}}

{{gwi:660742}}

• Brandon Smith
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And the now much much better looking E. leuconeurea.

{{gwi:660744}}

{{gwi:660746}}

{{gwi:660749}}

Ill get my Lactea and my red Trigona uploaded in a bit!

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

Here is my Euphorbia bupleurifolia x susannae today. Now I know to water these through the winter. I bought one previous to this, and it died after first winter. I didn't water all winter, the roots must have dried up, and it rotted when I finally watered again. Now I know.

Christopher

• Brandon Smith
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Other than my Jades (perhaps their root systems take longer to establish/can handle frequent waterings), I have found that pretty much all succulents/cacti really like more water than not. My Lactea (or Lacta, not 100% on the correct name) grew 8-9 arms last year and over 2 feet in height the red trigona sucks up the H20, my recently acquired Nopalea/Opuntia cochenellifera was rooted in water and grows as fast as I water it, my leuconeurea puts out a leaf the day after I water just about every time and finally the neon pink ball on top of a green stem cacti I got from Walgreens relishes in waterings.

Whats the deal!

Of course this is ONLY during spring/summer when the pants are growing.

• Brandon Smith
    Original Author
    10 years ago

e.cylindrifolia is growing like a champ, except for the middle one that for some reason decided it could not take life any longer. Poor guy.

{{gwi:660754}}

{{gwi:660756}}

My E.bupleurifolia x susannae is verdant with lush growth. Im really happy with this clump! :)

{{gwi:660758}}

{{gwi:660760}}

Finally the E. leuconeurea. is looking quite tropical if I do say so myself.

{{gwi:660762}}

{{gwi:660764}}

{{gwi:660766}}

On a side note, does anyone have any clue what this rogue Euphorbia looking leaf could be from?

{{gwi:660768}}

• Brandon Smith
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Where are everyones Euphorbias at during the winter???

Mine are in the basement with my other leaved/rooted buddies, except for the lucky ones that got to stay in the kitchen!

{{gwi:660770}}

My lights is bright in the basement! I actually scalded a few leaves during the summertime when I left this guy out in the direct sun too long. Now though it turning from burnt to pretty red.

{{gwi:660772}}

{{gwi:660775}}

Happy little guy/s!

{{gwi:660779}}

Still not sure where these weird leaves originate from...

{{gwi:660782}}

• wweidele
    10 years ago

Wooooowww nice everybody great pics

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Isn't that some kind of Ledebouria?

• Brandon Smith
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What pic are you referring to dear?

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hi BSmith,

I agree w/ Rina, that unIDed leaf you're asking about looks like a Ledebouria, aka Squill, one more name I forget. Sort of a bulbous succulent for lack of a better way to explain. Guess it's a volunteer joining the Family.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Sorry bsmith, your last 2 photos (the spotted long leaves) & your comment:
    Still not sure where these weird leaves originate from...
    I should have been more clear with my speculation, right? Rina

• Brandon Smith
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmm, I'll have to do a bit of web searching on that one.

How the heck would something like that find its way into my pot? I have nothing with that name at all.

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

Surely chaparralgirl's short E. obesas are actually pincushions pieced together out of striped flannel and some embroidery stitches....

They make me want to grow Euphorbias ... or make pincushions. And except for poinsettias, I've really never had any use for Euphorbias....

Liked the anoplia too (a different color of striped flannel with different stitches). Also the suppressa, the decaryii, and the susannae.

• nomen_nudum
    10 years ago

Ledebouria proberly socials . As mentioned it's a type of squill that easily mutiplies, in time it'll be the more dominat plant in the pot. (4 -5 years)
    Suggest when time is ideal you might want to repot your E. Suzanne and let the squill have that pot. They send out off sets from root, as well seedling are easily spread by shifting or brushing.

• Brandon Smith
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Happy new year!!! Better late than never I guess!

How are everyone's favorite slightly irritating to semi poisonous succulents doing?

Not that it's warm enough but I'm still looking for any cuttings that might be out there. I don't have much but whatever I have that I can take a cutting from if be happy to send you!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

The E. tirucalli is doing well. Had to rescue one I'd put in the ground from floods last summer. Surprisingly, being under water a few times didn't kill it, but it was starting to look ill. I even carefully took cuttings to share it to other pots. Managed to not touch any sap, which is good, I'm extremely allergic. Definitely inside now.

Also brought my Mom's Poinsettia home, IDK why.

Also, speaking of latex sap, I have a couple Plumeria cuttings that look like they're ready to bust out some new growth when it warms up.

• Sundewd
    10 years ago

Would post pics but can't figure out how to post more than one.

• Sundewd
    10 years ago

Would post pics but can't figure out how to post more than one.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Sundewd, to post multiple pics you have to use a photo sharing service like Photobucket or Flickr.

• Sundewd
    10 years ago

Okay, let me try this this way... Hope it works.
    E. Gorgonis
    {{gwi:660788}}

E. Tirucalli x Stenoclada
    {{gwi:660791}}

E. Tirucalli forest
    {{gwi:660793}}

E. Magnicapsula v. Lacterosa Monstrose
    {{gwi:660795}}

E. Lactea?
    {{gwi:660797}}

E. 'Hummel's Hybrid'
    {{gwi:660799}}

The following deceased this winter. :(

E. Spiralis? Tortillus?
    {{gwi:660801}}

E. 'zig-zag'
    {{gwi:660803}}

I'm reluctant to get more euphorbs. I used to have a lot more but they always struggle during winter and I do not currently have a greenhouse or a lot of indoor space.

This post was edited by Sundewd on Fri, Jan 31, 14 at 19:54

• Brandon Smith
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love Tirucalli! Gotta get me some for sure. Everything's looking good to me but I don't know jack!

Sundewd, First, thanks for sharing your quite healthy looking collection. That Gorgonis is wicked looking and the Hummels Hybrid is really interesting for sure. Do you have any info on it? I fairly certian your Lactea is a Trigona. My Lactea grows only the tiniest leaves in compare to the lengthy/elongated leaves my red Trigona sports.

• Sundewd
    10 years ago

I thought it was a Trigona as well but this thread made me think Lactea. It only has those leaves while growing, then they quickly fall off. That pic was taken during a growth spurt. It now has no leaves at all anymore.

The Hummel's Hybrid... All I know is it was an Ed Hummel created back In the 40's, is very, very hard to find and is about the slowest growing plant I have ever seen. He had another crested zig-zag hybrid that is different than the one that I and everyone else has and I would darn near kill for one. :P

• lzrddr
    10 years ago

Your plant is certainly NOT a Euphorbia lactea.. those are thick- bodied plants with lots of twists and turns, normally (rarely so flat sided and straight up an down, though some have some degree of 'up and downess'... just not as much as your plant, which is far to flattened/thin to be a lactea).

Here is typical Euphorbia lactea

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

If this thread gets any longer, I may have to drive my car to get to the end! I have two forms of Euphorbia francoisii, or so I think they are different. They are being grown under the same light and temperature conditions. So what do you think?

• Brandon Smith
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That red veining sure does make the one look different Howard. They are in the same substrate too I assume and same fert regimen?

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Yes, Brandon. They get the same treatment across the board. The reason I posted this is because Michael from OOA offers a green, white and red varieties. I did not get either of these from him.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

Howard,
    I would say you have another virility of the same plant. Congratulations.
    Stush

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Thanks, Stan. I know they are the same plant, i.e., E. francioisii, but was curious clone, etc since the plants being sod by Mike at OOA are listed separately.

• Brandon Smith
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Well let's see who's still like me and enjoys showing off their succulents!

• nomen_nudum
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

E. Knuthii had branches that use to look like this early season ....

but now they look like this..

Moving right along( sort of slowly) E. Larkspinsis is making freasher arm progress by cutting 3 -4 of the lankier droopy arms per season

While talking about some do overs here is an E. greenyii that was nearly drowning when adopted.

I'll admit it this one is kind of small for a E. lactea creasted variegate

You ought to see the mother that this had been plucked from while admitting I am kind of hoarding that one.

You've seen this one before on your thread from others

as it finally gets some colors.

And why is there a seniceo on a Euphorbia thread Well... as you did ask for a succulent and.....

technically Euphorbia are a spurge..

A bit of show and tell from you too perhaps ?

How are yours doing ?

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    7 years ago

Today these Euphorbs are my fav:)

• isde02(zone5b)
    6 years ago

E. Horrida Major 'Nova'

E. Ferox

E. Greenwayi

6 years ago

This thread is too old. Lets start a new one.

• ninecrow
    6 years ago

Should Be Getting My 1st Euphorbia {Barring The Normal Poinsettias} Tomorrow.....
    A Red Crown of Thorns.......

6 years ago

Still trying to take some updated pictures of mine. Then I'll start a new thread.

• Josue (Zone 9b, Central, inland California)
    6 years ago

Here are a couple of ones I grow.

I believe this is E. polygona, and possibly E. meloformis

E. suzanne

E. bupleurifolia

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES