Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lets see those Euphorbias!!!

Posted by bsmith717 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 18, 12 at 2:43

I was first introduced to the Euphorbia by a friend I work with. He has had his Euphorbia Trigona for almost 20 years and it is a massive plant. He had the piece he gave me in a cup with water for over a year so needless to say the roots were massive! It was about 10" tall and I was actually quite worried about killing it as over the years I have loved more plants to death then I care to admit to. But after potting it ant waiting about 8 months for it to trust me it has been growing like a wild beast ever since.

Here is is when I first got it. Due to its phallic appearance we gave it a nick name that is a fusion of two words, the first part is another name for a rooster and starts with a C and the other is cactus. I'm sure you can figure it out...

Here it is when I got it.

Photobucket

Here it is in front of my daughters favorite outdoor toy for size reference.

Photobucket

Where it sits now, in the cold season.

Photobucket

My newest acquisition a Euphorbia trigona "red"/"royal red". we shall see how long this one takes for me to earn its trust...

Photobucket

So what do you have in the Euphorbia family and what stories do you have to tell about them????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lets see those Euphorbias!!!

I did have a pink tinged trigona but it got damaged and had to go. Shame I really like Euphorbs and would lovd to collect em!

o

This is not E. trigona, it is E. lactea.

Christopher

o

Here's a pic of my peirri var. Elongata. I got it about four months ago,don't know if its toxic can't find much info on it, its about twenty inches tall the leaves are waxy to the touch.I have touched the leaves and trunk no effect but recently I moved it and my arm brushed the leaves and now I got some little spots that resembly poison ivy, but I haven't had any contact with any ivy.

o

Here's a pic of my peirri var. Elongata. I got it about four months ago,don't know if its toxic can't find much info on it, its about twenty inches tall the leaves are waxy to the touch.I have touched the leaves and trunk no effect but recently I moved it and my arm brushed the leaves and now I got some little spots that resembly poison ivy, but I haven't had any contact with any ivy.

o

Kaktuskris, the last photo posted by bsmith is a form of trigona, similar to one I had.

o

My Euphorbia Pachypodioides

Photobucket

Quite an old pic. Tons of new growth now. :)

o

How can you select just one.... especially when it's one of your favorite genera.

o

Is that euphorbia Stellata bottom left?

I have one!

Photobucket

Lots of new growth since this pic!

o

Onr group of plants I could quite readily collect, they are fabulous! Must must find some!

o

Ill post more specific responses when I get to my CPU but these are some great responses my friends.

Ps if anyone wants some trigona I'd be happy to swap with you???

o

Yes, Joe indeed it is the very plant! Good growing.

Howard

o

Would love a trigona but my euphorbias probably aren't ready for cutting yet to be honest. :(

o

Howard could I get IDs on those euphorbias if it's not too much trouble?

o

Joe, that's a tall order!

BACK Row Left to Right
E. ambovombensis, capsaintemariensis, alfredii

MIDDLE Row Left to Right
E. squarrosa, obesa(M), suzanne-marnierae, groenwaldii, fasciculata

FRONT Row Left to Right
E. stellata, bupleurifolia, cylindrifolia, White Ball Project(M), meloformis.

o

I would LOVE a piece of someone's stellata!

o

Greenlarry, big plant in bsmith717's first post is E. lactea. I have both, as well as others, and I do know the difference. E. trigona branches grow parallel to the stem, they don't grow as outward as E. lactea, and E. trigona has large leaves, when present, not the tiny ones found on E. lactea. Here is a photo of my E. trigona tonight showing the leaves.

Christopher

o

I have always loved euphorbia lactea but it gets too big and out of control. And yes all euphorbia including the hardy north American ones has that white sap. It is toxic and can cause a rash similar to poison ivy. Below some of mine;
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Stush

o

I always had wondered why my trigona never had big leaves on it, now I know. It's a lactea!

Thanks!

o

bssmith, having an arm doesn't mean you will grow a caudex. I have an arm of E. stellata that's a year old and it has grown but no new arms and no caudex. I also have several arms of E. squarrosa growing and only one of them has sent up new arms. I haven't unearthed it yet to see if it is getting a caudex.

o

I have far too many Euphorbias to show them all... and I have lost a number over the years due to poor husbandry... but I still have about 140 species left surviving that are doing well in my current client (I don't do indoor plants)... but my climate may be changing soon (to 9a from 9b) eliminating about 80% of these, if not more... don't know... may have to start learning to grow plants indoors or in a protected area.

Here is one of my favorites... Euphorbia mayurananthani

o

Kaktuskris, I know the first pic wasnt trigona, I meant the last one he posted, with the red tinge, like one I had that got IDed as trigona.

o

Hi....heres a few of mine and 2 more in the next post...linda

o

Hi here are the last 2 that I have....linda
Oh by-the-way...the middle one in the first post got sunburned early in the summer...will that is time disappear or will it always have the brown...linda

o

Sunburn usually doesn't go away. If it happens on plants with leaves, obviously when the leave dies the scar is gone.

o

Euphorbia ammak semivariegated (about 20' tall now)

o

Here is/are a few more (depends if I am successful adding two photos at once...)... nope.. only one photo at a time ... E nerifolia variegated

o

oops.. NO images went that time...

o

I forgot about this thread! Come on folks there have to be some more beautiful Euphorbias out there!

Check out how much my Red Trigona has grown in a month and half!!! These sure arent like the Lacteas. It took a good 6 months before my Lactea started growing at all when I first got it. I read somewhere on the net that they have to learn to trust you/you have to earn their respect before they will grow for you. :)

IMG_3347

IMG_3346

o

Pedilanthus macrocarpa AKA Euphorbia lomelii

Pedelanthus macrocarpus

DSC_0116

o

Here's a few of mine. E. flanaganii

E. knuthii
E. knuthii
E flanaganii
E flanaganii
E. lactea cristata variegata
Euphorbia lactea cristata variegata
Another variety of E. lactea cristata
Photobucket

This post was edited by karyn1 on Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 9:43

o

Here's a seasonal variety, Euphorbia pulcherrima. This variety is so pretty I'm almost tempted to keep one for myself.
Photobucket

o

Nice phorbs' guys!

o

misera
Euphorbia misera

o

"Misera"...sounds like a song. I can hear the gypsies singing around a campfire.

o

Well this was cool... cuz that's as close as I want to get to these interesting plants!

Everyone's pics are so wonderful, but caudex's little Euphorbonsia is just - wow. Had to blurt that!

o

This is the only Euphorbia I have and love, given by a member of this forum (Thanks Nick).

Euphorbia decaryi var. decaryi
Euphorbia decaryi

o

Euphorbia mammillaris (aka fimbriata) variegated out in garden... such an easy plant I forget I have it most of the time.... sort of getting swallowed up in the garden

o

here's another that is sort of wasted in the garden... have to pot this one soon before I accidentally step on it

o

this is a plant I at least took the time to put in its own pot... Euphorbia susannae...

o

Here is an unknown species, though seems to be related to E ammak... skinnier and more spiny, though... picked up speed these last few years.. .was just 1 foot tall when planted 6 years ago. Almost caught up to this Beaucarnea.

o

Euphorbia peltigera (like a miniature version of Euphorbia hamata) in a pot ... but old black plastic pot it came in... need to repot it someday... these plants are amazingly tolerant of being the same pot and the same soil for what seems like decades...

o

Euphorbia bicompacta (aka Synadenium grantii etc.)... looks great all year round until end of December.. .then just a bunch of sticks for till the end of February when it starts making leaves again.

o

it is, in this climate, one of the easiest Euphorbias to grow (easiest of all plants perhaps) ... this was a 6" 'cutting' (a 'snappling' actually... I just snapped off a small branch and stuck in in the soil) last year... and now it's already about 4' tall and growing fast.

o

another super easy species... E echinus... also grows wherever one of its branches is stuck in the ground.

o

Euphorbia hamata flowers this time of year

o

Lastly (for now) Euphorbia jansvallensis looking good if not a bit too etiolated this time of years

o

What an unbelievable collection you have!!!

o

How come such a limited variety of Euphs on here?

If I had access to my accounts at Home (Internet & phone down at home post Hurricane damage), I'd be posting more of them myself.

Here's an old favorite (for tremendous leaf variability):

E. francoisii

Euph francoisii

close ups of leaf patterns (which I love)

Photobucket

lance shaped & veiny

Photobucket

Some white E. milii blooms (these are old pix, but it happens this white milii is blooming at home right now in December).

Photobucket

The lovely bloom of E. milii v moratii (one of my favorites); look how tiny this cutting was when it bloomed).

Photobucket

A potful of same, which was badly grown & I pruned pretty hard to try & shape it more attractively.

Euph milii x moratii

looks at these great patterned leaves:

Euph milii x moratii

That's it for now!!

o

suzannae-marnierae
IMG_1817

o

Well, well, well Pirategirl; not only are you showing off but it seems you think your Euphorbia are better than ours...!!! ;)Nice collection. It blows me away the diversity of this group of plants. Some look like what most people wold describe if you asked "what does a cactus look like", some look like crazy stumps, some look grassy, some look like a normal leaved plant, spikes, no spikes, its crazy!

Nice specimen caudex!

DOES ANYONE WANT TO DO SOME EUPHORBIA SWAPPIN'???

I come from the planted aquarium/fish breeding scene so I have the supplies to pack and ship my Lactea pieces and will send them USPS Priority with tracking. All I will request is sending me $.01 to my PayPal account so I can print the shipping label from there. If you DON'T have PayPal no worries id still be happy to trade if your Euphorbia tickles my fancy!!! :)

Please??????

o

Here are the ones particularly catching my eyeballs

peirri var. Elongata- 100mphtortise

Euphorbia Pachypodioides- joecaudex

E.sunrise - stush2049

Euphorbia mayurananthani, e.mammillaris, Suzanne, the one related to Ammak, echinus, jansvallensis - lzrddr

Euphorbia lomelii -wantanamara

Misera , suzannae-marnierae - caudex1

E. francoisii - pirategirl

Please know that I really have no idea what the value of these Phorbs' are so if trading my lactea for your plant is not at all an even swap I mean no disrespect. Also if you don't want to trade but can spare a piece as long as its not too expensive I'd be happy to PayPal you what you feel it's worth.

o

Caudex1 I like your suzannae-marnierae, really interesting looking, and once again your choice of container enhances it.

o

I agree, in my head it looks like a dinosaur egg. Where did you get that pot from if you don't mind sharing? I have an Aloe "sunrise" that sure would look nice in a pot like that.

o

>>>>Where did you get that pot from if you don't mind sharing? I have an Aloe "sunrise" that sure would look nice in a pot like that.

I make the pots. Looks like I need to create more.

o

Absolutely!

o

So anyone want to swap some Euphorbias? I need something else to pester my wife with!!! ;)

o

I can't tell where in the US you are, but it's the wrong time of year for many of us to swap, going into Winter as we are. We tend to do this in Spring, when it's save to ship plants w/out worries of freezing or weather complications.

o

That makes sense. Makes me feel better about my Euphorb, I just didn't think anyone wanted my variety! ;)

o

...more euphorbs...

E. californica

monadenium ritchiei (kinda euphorbish)

T

o

B Smith LOL your comment to pirate girl is worth a small pup from a Euphorbia bupleurifolia potted and ready can drop off if in area See also your email

o

kondoi
Euphorbia subpeltatophylla

o

Mr, I responded to your message an happily accept your offer. Hopefully you have an iPhone and can set an alarm on the first day of spring to remind you to ship me the bupleurifolia!

o

Caudex1 that is so cool looking. The form is kind of like the windswept Cypress trees in Carmel.

o

I love that little straight rock setting up the almost right angle relation ship. Very subtle touch and it elevates the whole image alluding to what might have been before the stiff wind thus emphasising its new state of being . It sets up ambiguity. I do so appreciate other realities behind the big statement. Kudos to your Kondoi. He is an a"cute" little fellow. LOL.- Mara

o

Yes the rule of 3rd's can be applied to anything aesthetic whether it be photo/paint, automobile design or even potted plants. I love art!

o

Yea, but rules are meant to be broken when they get in the way.

o

Hi Everyone!
I'm enjoying all the great plants I see! But also makes me want to go shopping! LOL!
Here's one of my little guys. Tag is lost so i'm looking through the Arid lands web where I got it. It's actually hubby's plant, he thought it looked like an alien, so he wanted it. Guess who's cared for it the last 2 yrs! me!! lol.. The blank look on his face when I asked if he know the name was priceless. he he..

Possibly 'Euphorbia arida' or 'schoenlandii'

Photobucket

JoJo

o

Euphorbia decaryi X ????? Will GW allow me to say it ? If not think of a word meaning: a son who has an unknown or a not located father...

o

Have a pot with a smorgashborg of Euphorbias in it... getting pretty darn crowded... someone's gonna have to give up soon here.

o

Come on!!! there's always room for one more.

o

suppressa
Euphorbia suppressa

o

It's a very gray day today and the pictures aren't my best and not near as nice as those posted by some of you. I'm thrilled to see all of them.

E. venefica

I'm hoping for LOTS of seed from this one. Pictured are both male and female plants.

E. suzannae

I've taken some arms from this stock plant and we will see if they form a caudex??????

e. squarrosa

This is just one of many... they reproduce like rabbits!!!!!

E. leuconeura

Keith, I may just have to get one of your pots for this one... your plant presentation is beautiful!

E. groenwaldii

E. Fasciculata

Time to make some cuttings of this overgrown plant.... but not until spring!

E. decaryi v decaryi

Maybe a bonsai pot is in its future?????

E. cylindrifolia

This is a two year old seedling from my stock plant's seed. It's forming a nice caudex.

E. capsaintemariensis

E. capmanambatoensis

E. amovombensis

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Mon, Dec 10, 12 at 11:03

o

Gorgeous pix everybody, such nice plants!

My E. decaryii, love the leaf shape, all squiggly like this:

Photobucket

another shot

Photobucket

o

i got lots of euphorbias to show ye guys ... hehehe ☺
horrida
Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
yhis one is a bit crazy, and needs to be propped up/trimmed in spring
baby ferox
christmas tree looking mammillaris
little virosa
from left-right.
decaryi - delphenensis - forgot the name (/_\)
forgot-the-name and anoplia
forgot-the-name-again and spiralis cristata
no name crest
no name

o

thank you for this thread...i have just id'd the plant i received for mother's day...e.lactea

o

Great thread. I've enjoyed all the photos. This is from last year ... some of my Euphorbias outside for the summer.

o

One of the more common, and I forgot the name! LOL! I believe common name is corn cob? Anyway... She's showing off her pink. :-)

o

Here's my oldest Euphorbia obesa... getting less obese and more columnar. Now 13.5" tall (about 35cm). Started out (when I got it) about 10"... doing well (usually I manage to rot these, particularly since this one lives outdoors most of the year. In fact, last winter I forgot to bring it in... thankfully never froze last winter).

o

Here's a 'snowflake' pair. Left is Euphorbia horrida 'snowflake' and right is Euphorbia polygona 'Snowflake'. Obviously Euphorbias are not very toxic to snails (one ate the tip off this last week and seems to have survived the experience).

o

This thread has the most unusual, and beautiful plants.
Thank you every body for posting. I enjoyed it very much.
Marie

o

• Posted by Drock Z5 Boulder, CO (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 23, 12 at 23:14

Hi all!
I believe that this is my first C&S post!
My Euphorbia ammak (unless someone can convince me that it is E. ingens or even something else)...
SAM_0195

SAM_0205

SAM_0201

-Derrick

o

Going out on a limb here thinking white coloring of the thorns indicate the later of the two

o

Nice to see some new additions!

o

The cutest non-caudiciform euphorbia, E. sepulta!

In a 3" pot.

Photobucket

E. sepulta Pictures, Images and Photos

o

>Here's a 'snowflake' pair. Left is Euphorbia horrida 'snowflake' and right is Euphorbia polygona 'Snowflake'.

How do you tell the difference between them?

o

one has purple/red flowers (the E polygona) and one has yellow-green flowers (E horrida). in general, E horridas are more spiny, but this unfortunately is not a consistent finding... the flower/cyathea color is not 100% either, but a better characteristic to go by than the spine thing. Polygonas also have more straight up and down ridges, which E horridas tend to be more 'wavy' (again, this is a generalization and doesn't work perfectly). Ultimately, I cannot find a hard and fast rule to tell these two species apart, and it seems sort of up to those who are in the know to tell the rest of us.

o

Very "cute" phorb lancer, reminds me of my thimball cactus with no hair!

Here are some shots of my friends with my real camera.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Couple non succulents. First one to guess the far left plant (pretty easy) will get a smiley face!!!

DSC_0362

o

Hello again,

It really IS amazing how broad a family of plants these are. Also, how low maintenance & easy many of them can , tho' some DO take some active care rather than benign neglect.

Pretty little things, especially for January after cold has kicked in.

Photobucket

Yellow against white contrast reminds me of fried eggs, bright & sunny; somehow always lifts my spirits.

Photobucket

My favorite E. milii v. moratii that I'm reshaping by pruning repeatedly. It leafed in nicely

Photobucket

I just can't get enough of this plant, even when not in bloom.

Photobucket

My recently repotted E. francoisii settling back in to its pot.

Photobucket

E. blue Hawaii (I think that's the ID)

Photobucket

Small little thing, had some lovely green bracts when I first got it this past year. Given me by a collector of always interesting plants, can't wait to see what it's going to do in the future.

Caudex: your plants, your pots & stagings continue to amaze me. A few in this thread have a rather Dr. Suess feel to them, especially that bulbous caudex w/ that sort of sticking straight up growth, always makes me smile. TFS

o

I know I'm late to the game, but I finally got a chance to get some pics of my Euphorbias. :)

Euphorbia horrida "Snowflake"
Photobucket

Euphorbia obesa
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Euphorbia suzannae
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Euphorbia mammillaris "Corncob"
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Euphorbia anoplia "Tanzanian Zipper Plant"
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Euphorbia pulcherrima "Poinsettia"
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

*CG*

o

Its growing season again (at least in my area, St.Louis MO)!

My Lactea has started awakening...

photo IMG_3966_zps18dc91b7.jpg

I am still open to swap with anyone, my Lactea certainly wont mind the trim.

o

I accidentally brought Mr. Firesticks home last week... E. tirucalli

o

Hey Purple,

Nice colors on this new purchase. Just checking, you know to be cautious about their sap right? Wash well after handling, if cutting, etc. maybe even wear gloves? Just in case.

o

i think those are submammilaris and polygona , i got them as NOID . i've had them for almost 20 years. submammilaris grew very huge and then collapsed, this is just a little 2" piece that 'grew up' in last 5 years.

o

and another 20 year companion: lactea cristata . it sports quite a bit, i have to cut them off often. does anybody know if it's possible to reduce the number of sports?

o

Yes, PG, that's what the reference to accident was about. The warning applies to all E's (sap, as you mentioned,) AFAIK.

I could get a rash just looking at it, which I'm enticed to do often. Just so darn weird and snazzy, I succumbed to his charms, even though I know he just wants to irritate me. Will find him another home if we have to break up, but plan to avoid touching it in any way, ridiculous caution, as if it were poison ivy. If I feel like I'm getting weak and need some contact, I'll definitely practice safe lex (half latex...,) and use prophylactic measures.

o

Funny Purple, safe tex perhaps!

My buddy at work who I got my first Phorb from trimmed his Lactea a few months ago and wound up looking like he got mugged afterwards. All swollen up in his eye area, it was pretty bad.

I really like the fire sticks and have been trying to find some for myself. I'm not sure about the coloration in my area since I wouldn't be able to keep them outside year round. Hopefully the would color up good in the summer at least?

Old plants are the best IMO Petrushka and those are pretty old and looking good to me!

o

I've enjoyed all the pictures but it has renewed by desire for an Obesa. I've never seen one in the stores and wondered where those of you that have one got it. Are they more difficult to grow? I live just outside of Phoenix and have quite a few cacti and succulents on my back patio and also have a lighted plant stand inside. Which would be better for growing this variety?

o

Miles Anderson has them for sale www.miles2go.com. I grow mine from my own seed. Should have some small ones by fall of this year; I've given away/traded/sold all of the ones I had.

o

Also, Piragte Girl. Please do me a favor and let me know how to get a piece of that E. milii v. moratii!

o

Bikerdoc, I saw some seeds for sale on ebay and thought about buying them. I haven't tried growing from seed but maybe it's worth a try. Otherwise, I'll watch this fall for your sale or a trade. Thanks.

o

The only cacti/succulent I've tried from seed were aloes. And that was a horrible failure. Maybe it was the wrong time of year and I couldn't provide enough light. Ill be trying again here shortly hopefully with better results.

o

Just got a couple more awesome additions to the Phorb list!

E. leuconeurea

photo IMG_4022_zpsc4fd53ca.jpg

photo IMG_4035_zpsa9dcf9dd.jpg

E.Bupleurifolia x Suzannae

photo IMG_4023_zpsf009816a.jpg

photo IMG_4036_zpsc14cf7d5.jpg

If anyone can give me any helpful hints on either of my new acquisitions I would be much obliged.

o

oh my!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! who new therewere so many varieties. ive only grown E. pulcherrima. i dont have any to show

o

I too was amazed at the diversity and sheer number of specimen in the Euphorbia family.

So anyone got any tips on my new leuconeurea or Bupleurifolia x Suzannae like lighting/temp tolerances/preferences?

All I got so far is the Bup likes to be crowded in its pot and really doesn't enjoy too much water whereas the Leuconeurea appreciates a good amount of water.

Thanks!

o

Time to post up what's been growing this season!

My e.bup x suzannae are growing like weeds as are (what I believe are) e.cylindrifolia.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o

And the now much much better looking E. leuconeurea.

photo IMG_5418_zps4308a2a3.jpg

photo IMG_5417_zps334c7125.jpg

photo IMG_5416_zpse4d68155.jpg

Ill get my Lactea and my red Trigona uploaded in a bit!

o

Here is my Euphorbia bupleurifolia x susannae today. Now I know to water these through the winter. I bought one previous to this, and it died after first winter. I didn't water all winter, the roots must have dried up, and it rotted when I finally watered again. Now I know.

Christopher

o

Other than my Jades (perhaps their root systems take longer to establish/can handle frequent waterings), I have found that pretty much all succulents/cacti really like more water than not. My Lactea (or Lacta, not 100% on the correct name) grew 8-9 arms last year and over 2 feet in height the red trigona sucks up the H20, my recently acquired Nopalea/Opuntia cochenellifera was rooted in water and grows as fast as I water it, my leuconeurea puts out a leaf the day after I water just about every time and finally the neon pink ball on top of a green stem cacti I got from Walgreens relishes in waterings.

Whats the deal!

Of course this is ONLY during spring/summer when the pants are growing.

o

e.cylindrifolia is growing like a champ, except for the middle one that for some reason decided it could not take life any longer. Poor guy.

photo DSC_1176_zpsb0f41477.jpg

photo DSC_1169_zps5b39d3e5.jpg

My E.bupleurifolia x susannae is verdant with lush growth. Im really happy with this clump! :)

photo DSC_1171_zpsfa0bec08.jpg

photo 860_zpsafbdfa30.jpg

Finally the E. leuconeurea. is looking quite tropical if I do say so myself.

photo DSC_1173_zps7b3349ab.jpg

photo 862_zpsb4dd9898.jpg

photo 863_zpsbd19a011.jpg

On a side note, does anyone have any clue what this rogue Euphorbia looking leaf could be from?

photo 858_zps815c4f64.jpg

o

Where are everyones Euphorbias at during the winter???

Mine are in the basement with my other leaved/rooted buddies, except for the lucky ones that got to stay in the kitchen!

photo IMG_6673_zps448ff254.jpg

My lights is bright in the basement! I actually scalded a few leaves during the summertime when I left this guy out in the direct sun too long. Now though it turning from burnt to pretty red.

photo IMG_6740_zpsa668f309.jpg

photo IMG_6742_zps04f2608a.jpg

Happy little guy/s!

photo IMG_6750_zps5a05fab0.jpg

Still not sure where these weird leaves originate from...

photo IMG_6752_zpsc6b2993b.jpg

o

Wooooowww nice everybody great pics

o

Isn't that some kind of Ledebouria?

o

What pic are you referring to dear?

o

Hi BSmith,

I agree w/ Rina, that unIDed leaf you're asking about looks like a Ledebouria, aka Squill, one more name I forget. Sort of a bulbous succulent for lack of a better way to explain. Guess it's a volunteer joining the Family.

o

• Posted by rina_ 6a Ont (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 19, 13 at 18:39

Sorry bsmith, your last 2 photos (the spotted long leaves) & your comment:
Still not sure where these weird leaves originate from...
I should have been more clear with my speculation, right? Rina

o

Hmm, I'll have to do a bit of web searching on that one.

How the heck would something like that find its way into my pot? I have nothing with that name at all.

o

Surely chaparralgirl's short E. obesas are actually pincushions pieced together out of striped flannel and some embroidery stitches....

They make me want to grow Euphorbias ... or make pincushions. And except for poinsettias, I've really never had any use for Euphorbias....

Liked the anoplia too (a different color of striped flannel with different stitches). Also the suppressa, the decaryii, and the susannae.

o

Ledebouria proberly socials . As mentioned it's a type of squill that easily mutiplies, in time it'll be the more dominat plant in the pot. (4 -5 years)
Suggest when time is ideal you might want to repot your E. Suzanne and let the squill have that pot. They send out off sets from root, as well seedling are easily spread by shifting or brushing.

o

Happy new year!!! Better late than never I guess!

How are everyone's favorite slightly irritating to semi poisonous succulents doing?

Not that it's warm enough but I'm still looking for any cuttings that might be out there. I don't have much but whatever I have that I can take a cutting from if be happy to send you!

o

The E. tirucalli is doing well. Had to rescue one I'd put in the ground from floods last summer. Surprisingly, being under water a few times didn't kill it, but it was starting to look ill. I even carefully took cuttings to share it to other pots. Managed to not touch any sap, which is good, I'm extremely allergic. Definitely inside now.

Also brought my Mom's Poinsettia home, IDK why.

Also, speaking of latex sap, I have a couple Plumeria cuttings that look like they're ready to bust out some new growth when it warms up.

o

Would post pics but can't figure out how to post more than one.

o

Would post pics but can't figure out how to post more than one.

o

Sundewd, to post multiple pics you have to use a photo sharing service like Photobucket or Flickr.

o

Okay, let me try this this way... Hope it works.
E. Gorgonis

E. Tirucalli x Stenoclada

E. Tirucalli forest

E. Magnicapsula v. Lacterosa Monstrose
Euphorbia

E. Lactea?

E. 'Hummel's Hybrid'

The following deceased this winter. :(

E. Spiralis? Tortillus?
Euphorbia

E. 'zig-zag'

I'm reluctant to get more euphorbs. I used to have a lot more but they always struggle during winter and I do not currently have a greenhouse or a lot of indoor space.

This post was edited by Sundewd on Fri, Jan 31, 14 at 19:54

o

I love Tirucalli! Gotta get me some for sure. Everything's looking good to me but I don't know jack!

Sundewd, First, thanks for sharing your quite healthy looking collection. That Gorgonis is wicked looking and the Hummels Hybrid is really interesting for sure. Do you have any info on it? I fairly certian your Lactea is a Trigona. My Lactea grows only the tiniest leaves in compare to the lengthy/elongated leaves my red Trigona sports.

o

I thought it was a Trigona as well but this thread made me think Lactea. It only has those leaves while growing, then they quickly fall off. That pic was taken during a growth spurt. It now has no leaves at all anymore.

The Hummel's Hybrid... All I know is it was an Ed Hummel created back In the 40's, is very, very hard to find and is about the slowest growing plant I have ever seen. He had another crested zig-zag hybrid that is different than the one that I and everyone else has and I would darn near kill for one. :P

o

Your plant is certainly NOT a Euphorbia lactea.. those are thick- bodied plants with lots of twists and turns, normally (rarely so flat sided and straight up an down, though some have some degree of 'up and downess'... just not as much as your plant, which is far to flattened/thin to be a lactea).

Here is typical Euphorbia lactea

o

If this thread gets any longer, I may have to drive my car to get to the end! I have two forms of Euphorbia francoisii, or so I think they are different. They are being grown under the same light and temperature conditions. So what do you think?

o

That red veining sure does make the one look different Howard. They are in the same substrate too I assume and same fert regimen?

o

Yes, Brandon. They get the same treatment across the board. The reason I posted this is because Michael from OOA offers a green, white and red varieties. I did not get either of these from him.

o

Howard,
I would say you have another virility of the same plant. Congratulations.
Stush

o

Thanks, Stan. I know they are the same plant, i.e., E. francioisii, but was curious clone, etc since the plants being sod by Mike at OOA are listed separately.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here