Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uplifted1

Watered Newly potted Succulents

uplifted1
10 years ago

Today I potted a variety of succulents in a 5 gallon pot and after potting them I proceeded to give them a thorough watering. I now realize that this is not recommended and that I should of waited a few days. My question is, should I take out all of the succulents and let them dry out for a day or two? I'm using a 50/50 mix of soil and pumice. Thanks in advance.

Comments (7)

• uplifted1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I forgot to throw in another question I had. All of the succulents I purchased were potted in regular soil, so when I removed the succulents from the pots, the soil was moist and compacted. Is it generally a good idea to break up some of the soil or will it dry out once placed in the pumice/soil mix?

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Sorry, but if I understood correctly, all the older soil, compacted or not needs to be removed from the plants or it may interfere w/ the new mix.

Wiped off, crumbled off or even soaked off if needed, but the old mix must be removed as it's likely incompatible w/ the new, faster draining mix.

Then after potting anew, wait to water for a week or so.

• Dzitmoidonc
    10 years ago

Well, if they are planted in good succulent soil, it should dry fast. My question is, a 5-gallon pot? As a rule, succulents like smaller pots, unless of course the plants are 5 gallon sized.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

I agree with Karen and Dzitmoidonc.
    The old soil ought to be removed. If you soak the old soil off, then clearly you don't need to do an additional watering. When doing root-work, nicks and other damage to roots can occur, and so waiting to water allows those potential nicks to callus.

That said, if you use a fast-drying succulent mix, you can pot and water and still be fairly confident that the mix will dry before root-rot becomes an issue. Drainage and aeration...that's what you want to build into your mix.

Josh

• uplifted1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all of the advice. I ended up switching to a shallower cactus pot, which actually looks a lot better. I also cleaned the roots and dried them out. Another question, I just found a place that sells 50lb bags of Turface MVP. Is it worth buying a bag and replacing around 20% of my soil/pumice mix with the Turface? I live in Northern California, by the way. Thanks again.

• intelinside1
    10 years ago

Good advice above.

Whats cheaper the pumice or turface? I've heard that pumice is the best for drainage, but also that turface is good as well.

I would go with whichever is cheaper ;)P

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Turface needs to be screened, and there will be waste/loss of product. As Yorkie said, if the price makes sense, go for it. I like both, personally, and I wish I had access to larger quantities of Pumice.

Josh