Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sf4023st

Grubs eating succulent roots/stems!!!

sf4023st
10 years ago

Every year I have the same problem! Usually during this time a majority of my sempervivum, sedeveria, echeveria, and pachyveria get infested with these ugly grubbs. Perfectly roots plants will 'pop' off at the base and topple to the ground or worse they'll be eaten from the inside main stem causing the entire plant to fall apart so they can't be rerooted and saved. Ive attached a picture of these awful things. I've been using Bayers systematic insecticide but doesn't seem to work. Can anyone identify and diagnose?

Comments (16)

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

We had those darn things in our backyard last year,and the skunks tore our yard to shreds trying to get them.

I went and got spectracide and covered the lawn with it and watered it in good.It took a week or so,but I finally got rid of them,and the yard is still a work in progress.

I hate those ugly things with a passion!!!!
    Kathi

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Since I summer all of my plants outside, I have had this exact problem. The large would eat up the center of the stem and the next thing I knew was an almost dead plant. I now use Imidacloprid granules on all plants. I dose each plant in late August/early September. It's supposed to be good for 3 months. Either the insects don't like laying eggs on my plants anymore or it's working because I haven't lost a plant in the last several years.

• nil13
    10 years ago

Isn't the active ingredient in Bayer systemic, imidacloprid?

Have you tried milky spore?

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Yes, it is but the granules hang around for an extended period of time whereas the spray will wash through.

• sf4023st
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank everyone for replying! I've tried both the Bayer as granules and the liquid diluted and honestly don't see it helping since I found out about it last year. But I only have dosed the plants a couple of times since both versions had fertilizer and I didn't want to overfeed my plants. I'll try repotting the plants in a peatless mix as some has suggested.

Thanks again!

• sf4023st
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Haven't tried Milky spore, do you think it will work on this type of grub? I'm not sure what type this is, after researching Milky Spore it sounds that it only controls Japanese beetle larvae?

• sf4023st
    Original Author
    10 years ago

and my grubs don't look like the Japanese larvae, they don;t have the long front legs.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

The imidacloprid granules I use don't have any fertilizer; it's just the insecticide.

• laura1
    10 years ago

you can also get imidacloprid in a 2oz. bottle...it's a powder. Costs more upfront but more economical in the long run. Mix with water and use as a drench OR mix and use as a spray (for other insects-not grubs)
    If you have been using this insecticide for awhile it might be time to switch it up and use something else to keep the bugs from building up a resistance.

• sf4023st
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again all. I'm going to continue using the Bayer systematic as pellet and search for a non fertilizer combo but Does anyone know if Milky Spore work on this type of grub?

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Don't these things eat compromised/unhealthy roots, and need a moist, 'soft' environment in which to do it? I don't think these things would bother healthy roots/plants in a more suitable, more dry medium. Once the peat and other fine particles are replaced with something much more chunky/airy (and likely much less comfortable for a soft-bodied critter,) the problem should be fixed without the need for further chemicals. Until you can repot, let the peat dry out well before adding more water. I've not had grubs in pots before, but pill bugs (a similar entity) show up sometimes in some pots, but never in succulent pots.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Yuck..now I know the name of those ugly, slimy, wormy pests I found in pots of certain succulent/cactus.

Is there an organic, 'spice/vinegar' that'll rid grubs?

They linger in pots within a larger pot.
    Heck, I've found these creatures inside containers w/o plants.

Purple, I have to disagree. I found grubs in large Agaves and Aloes containers..plants were so rootbound there wasn't any soil.
    Grubs were stuck to roots.
    Also, like I said above, they stick to over-turned pots w/o plants.

I hope someone here knows how to rids grubs organically. Thanks, Toni

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

As I said, I use Bayer Advanced Complete Insect Killer Ready to Use Granules, $12.97 for a 10# bag at Home Depot. It may be a seasonal item so people living in more northern areas may not be able to find it at this time of year.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

They look like Vine Weevil grubs to me, apologies if someone has named them in the previous posts (can't see where they have been ID'd though) so that may help you find a specific cure. I know here in the UK we have a spray to target VW grubs, but as I'm currently over 200 miles away from my bottle of spray I can't go and look at it ....but it is manufactured by Bayer as far as I can remember. Ah-ha, just googled it...its Bayer's 'Provado VW' killer. Hope this may help you.
    Gill UK

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Just as a heads up for the people that use the liquid Bayer (link below) the direction for containerized plants say not to water heavily for the first 10 days after application so the roots can fully absorb the product. I only lightly water my plants for those first 10 days...making sure water does not exit from the pot...then after 10 days normal watering can be done...

Here is a link that might be useful: Bayer Advanced

Sponsored
COLAO & PETER Luxury Outdoor Living
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
VA, MD, and DC's Award-Winning Custom Pool Builders | Best of Houzz