Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keithgh

Living Stones in 5ft Tettascape

keithgh
9 years ago

I am in the process of planning a 5ft Terrascape, I recently finished my first Terrascape in a 45lt fish tank see photo.
{{gwi:661448}}

As you can see this Terrascape is for Air plants

I was thinking of using living stones in what I call the "Dry creek beds" in the Terrascape.

Is this the correct Forum to ask questions?

Keith

Comments (5)

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

If by 'Living Stones' you mean the succulent plants that include mesembs ('Lithops,' 'Split Rock,' etc.), then yes, you're in the right spot! :D

Planto

• DavidL.ca
    9 years ago

First of all, it is beautiful! Air plants is my second love other than succulents :P, got lots of them in my collection already. Not sure if you mean you want to plant some Lithops (living stones) in this Terrascape, if that's what you mean than I can see how that's possible, as long as your terrascape will receive quite a lot of light, because Lithops needs sun to thrive, which can be tricky cuz I know some air plants can't take too much sun, especially direct sun which most Lithops loves.

Another tricky thing could be the humidity/watering. Air plants prefer humid environment, while Lithops should be kept dry most of the time, especially during the winter.

• keithgh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

plantomaniac08

Thank you yes it will be Lithops.

DavidL.ca

The 45lt Terrascape is "Air plants only"

Lighting will be a twin Aquarium 4ft unit 1 plant and 1 daylight tube, that unit/combination grows aquarium plants very well.

The Air plants are in an open tank misted every morning.

The Lithops will be growing in 1-3 river stones about 10cm deep and will never be watered directly except a morning mist as required.

The tank will have a glass lid with a 10cm opening back and front plus about the same at the ends, if required I can install a computer fan at each end but I doubt it would be required.

I live in Victoria Australia which is considered more of a Mediterranean climate.

All the watering is done from the bottom via a tube from the top via what is called a UGF Under Gravel Filter when used in a fish tank.

{{gwi:661451}}

The plate is about 2cm high, to check the moisture I use a standard garden Moisture Meter

To stop the garden soil from clogging up the grates I will add a layer of 1-3mm river stones at least 3cm deep first

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

by size two might be a bit much but agree one computer fan would do the trick . I dont share very much time under lighting for mine during winter, all I do is keep them slightly warmer than the frost temps
    Daily misting ? I can count drops of water for lithops during winter ( your summer) it isn't very many.

• keithgh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

nomen_nudum

Thank you every bit of information and thoughts helps

In the winter the room is heated and at night the temperature does not drop that much like it would if outside then our winter a rare lowest temp would be about 5c and inside 15c+ if that.

Where the Tills are now in the winter it never gets below 20c as there in an Aquarium in the room and its not a large room.

Keith