Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dvespertilio

beware of cactusplaza

dvespertilio
14 years ago

I have recently purchased over $US200 of seeds from this Dutch vendor, CactusPlaza, owned by Allard Bax. He advertises that his seed has good viability, 80% is what he claims. BEWARE! Out of a hundred Pachypodium seeds of several different species, only 7 viable seedlings emerged. On Fockea edulis, there was zero germination. I have ordered seed from all over the world and haven't had such poor germination with seeds from most other vendors. I also bought Pseudolithos migiurtinus seeds from him and the germination on most of them was pretty poor. And his stuff is pretty expensive

When I asked him for an adjustment because of poor germination, he never replied to my request, even though it's now been over 3 weeks since I contacted him.

I would not recommend this vendor for seeds. I have bought seeds from Mesa Garden in NM and have had much better results.

Just wanted people to know.

Thanks

Michael E. Davis

Comments (20)

• tjicken
    14 years ago

I have not tried them myself, but I have heard similar reactions from people who have bought from that place, non-viable seed, plants smaller than promised etc.

• ltecato
    14 years ago

I hope they don't sell on eBay.

• cactusjordi
    14 years ago

Itecato,
    Buying from eBay you are almost always at risk quality- and price-wise!
    Only from reputable sources/vendors like Mesa Garden, Koehres, Piltz, Haage, Miles2Go, Arid Lands and other well and since long established dealers you actually receive what you ordered and that at a fair price.

Jordi

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    14 years ago

Thank you dvespertilio for reporting your results.

• ltecato
    14 years ago

Those are great sites, Jordi! Now if I can just get someone to sell me a Coffea canephora...

• nday
    14 years ago

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a site that sells seeds for fairly cheap and accepts PayPal. I looked at the ones suggested above, and they didn't seem to accept PayPal, or at least I couldn't find it. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks,

-Nate

• tjicken
    14 years ago

Mesa Garden does, according to their "Order Blank for Overseas customers".

• cactusjordi
    14 years ago

nday,
    why not asking me by e-mail?

Jordi

Here is a link that might be useful: Examples where seeds come from

• nday
    14 years ago

I got an email back from Mesa Garden, and they do accept Paypal, so once I eventually figure out what seeds I want I'll probably put in an order. Thanks.

And Jordi, what should I have emailed you about? I'm sorry, I'm confused.

Thanks, everyone!
    -Nate

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    14 years ago

Nate,

If you sent Jordi a message privately, I predict that you'd be pleasantly surprised, after a succulental fashion and in a cactoid manner.

• dvespertilio
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Followup to my story on CactusPlaza: Mr Bax finally responded to my second email. He asked for detailed info regarding my germination techniques. He wanted me to order more seeds, saying he would put some "extras" in my next order. I completely refused that offer and replied with a further request for an adjustment. He has now offered to replace the Pachypodium and Fockea seeds, 120 seeds in all. We shall see how they grow. I didn't even get into the issue of the Trichocaulon flava seeds and his Pseudolithos seeds, neither of which produced very impressive results. I recently obtained about 200 Pseudolithos seeds from a vendor in Thailand, via eBay. The germination has been excellent and the seedlings are coming along.

I am still not very impressed with CactusPlaza, but I will give him credit for trying to make amends for what was clearly a bad product.

• dvespertilio
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Update on seeds from CactusPlaza: Mr Bax replaced the defective seeds and even threw in an extra 20 seeds of another Pachypodium. To date, more than 3 weeks after sowing, only seven deformed seedlings have resulted from these 140 seeds. A very poor showing, indeed. I have now asked for a full refund of my money, but have had no reply thus far. I believe that he knows that the seed is defective and simply won't do anything about it. So, after two bad experiences with this vendor, I repeat that one should not do business with him.

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

When I complained about a plant sent incorrectly from an Ebay vender he told me he would have me sued for defamation of character. I didn't think it was worth the $200 I spent on the plant, I just gave it away, he substituted a plant for the one that I ordered, because he could get more for the one that I paid for. He was a friend of mine, and has spent vacation time at my house. I was more hurt than anything else. Now of course I wouldn't want him as my friend, and Pay pal in impossible to work with. the don't give you correct instructions to use that service? I now deal directly with one vendor, and pay by check, and she (Deal 181) sends me the Haworthia, no problems, no hassel, plants named correctly, she is a pleasure and we are meeting at the Huntington tomorrow. She will get in free as all of my guests do. Norma

• bamboo_turtles
    14 years ago

I was reading all the posts concerning the company . I am a new member and I have not read all the rules concerning complaints against a business . I would like to see any emails regarding this issue in defense of this company . I was also wondering if the owner of the company was made known of this thread so he / she could post according to the situation ? I am not saying your experience and story is valid or not . It would just be fair and taken alittle more serious if both parties shared their sides of the story and any emails concerning would be of help . I do not know this company nor do I order online ( yet ) . I only buy local and at the plant shows .

• laszlo76
    12 years ago

I wish I read these posts before ordering seeds from cactusplaza. What a mistake I made and what a disappointment I had. I order the seeds he says okay send me the money; I send him the money in advance, then he sends me the seeds of which 3 of the most important ones are missing. And when I look at the rest, 70% had their outer layer cracked revealing their inner part having the color of roasted peanut- which means these seeds are as old as cristopher columbus... When I ask him what's with these seeds and why didn't he send me all I paid for he said all the seeds are fresh and that he knows that there are seeds missing. The reason is they were no longer available and that I should pick other seeds. Then he ignores all my mails.
    It's surreal how some people imagine they can run a business with this attitude and fool client after client- if I had the time, I would bash Allard Bax and cactusplaza on every cactus forum there is. If I made one person change his mind on ordering seeds from cactusplaza, then this message of mine wasn't a waste of time

• kal2619
    10 years ago

ya-the people at cacus plaza did me the same way they e-mail me and said if things were not right and did not get my package to let them know .I had order some cactus seeds and it had been over 12 days sense they had mailed my items and when they did not get to me after about 13 days I e-mail them back that is two times in 2 or 3 days and they did not return my e-mails .and just 4 or 5 days before they had e-mail me to see if all was good.and it is now oct-15th and still know e-mails. but did findly get the cactus but they are so sorry seeds.as of the 14th of oct 2013 still know germination ? sorry seeds and also high prices and the count is not right .they also don't know how to pack right ?the other places that you people are talking about ordering from on here would have to be better than them.people go somewhere else.i have tried to work with them but no go.i have had good luck with e-bay myself.at lease you can do something on e-bay if you don't get your stuff 95% of the time.later !!!!!!!!!!!!

• Melissa Ortega
    7 years ago

so i know this was a long time ago but i looked up reviews for cactus plaza and this came up lol has anyone ordered cactus and not just seeds?

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    7 years ago

Melissa, I'm not saying he's not changed for the better, but why not just order from reputable dealers as mentioned in Jordi's post above?

• Melissa Ortega
    7 years ago

because I don't need seeds. those sites are for seeds and all the comments on cactus plaza on this thread are about the seeds. I cant seem o find anything on their plant quality. AND they have quite a rare variety I haven't found on other sites.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    7 years ago

For your info, check out the Adenium forum as someone on there is has recently had a problem with a cactus plaza plant...check a recent thread entitled 'My first multiflorum plant and seeds'

Gill UK

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler