Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hablu

Off topic but nice

hablu
9 years ago

Today in the garden. Very poisonous; every year it makes victimes because people eat it to get high etc. Also little children who do not know better. But, one of the most colourful toodstools we have.
greets
harry

Comments (19)

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

Mario and Luigi have been looking for that! LOL
    It is a beauty, isn't it?

Last (soggy) July my husband found this guy growing very near an agave and pups. He didn't get a pic of it growing because he thought it was a body part - particularly a hand! It stunk like rotting flesh, too. He grabbed a rake to drag it out and found it was a fungus. At least he didn't call 9-1-1 to report body parts in the yard! We are still laughing at his panic. (We're mean that way.)

Stinkhorn mushroom -

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Thank you for the Amanita photo. Can someone explain why they are considered good luck?

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

Here in michigan we hunt morels. I LOVE them!

• _eee
    9 years ago

Oh my gosh Harry, that mushroom is so pretty it doesn't look real. Thanks for sharing. Dottie

• DavidL.ca
    9 years ago

Cool looking, but I absolutely HATE mushrooms (even the none-poisonous ones I mean), haha..

• rosemariero
    9 years ago

Harry, that one doesn't look real! :D Looks like it came from a children's storybook!

• hablu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, in fairytales the goblins live in there (that is: here in the Netherlands).

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

Well I sure don't have pretty mushrooms like you do, Harry!

I do have an abundance of mushrooms in the summer. The stinkhorn is the most interesting I have had. It was so humid this past summer I even had mushrooms pop up in plants in pots that were protected from the rain.

• paul_
    9 years ago

That Amanita is absolutely beautiful!

LilBit -- Next time you go morelling, I'd like to place an order! Been decades since I was last successful in finding any.

The stinkhorn is very cool! Good timing too with Halloween on the way.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

Hablu, that's a nice looking Amanita or 'Fly Agaric' as they are called here in the UK. I can just imagine a Gnome sitting on top of it! Ok so here's my fungal contribution, they are 5in diameter 'Earth Stars'.

Gill UK

{{gwi:661753}}

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Not as pretty as Harry's, but large enough to feed two...well, didn't taste since I have no idea what it is. Looks like giant white button mushroom. That's size 9 shoe.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

This one was almost double size of the one in previous post.
    Rina

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

Puffballs, Rina.

Al

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

Paul I'll have to send you some next time DEFINATLEY!! We found ATLEAST 150 of them on our property alone! Not even including the ones we found when we were asparagus hunting!!!! ðÂÂÂ

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Thanks Al;
    we used to step on puffballs when kids - but I didn't want to 'check' if it is puffball, was so huge.
    Rina

• notolover
    9 years ago

I love this mushroom! I have a Christmas ornament that looks like this, but I just thought it was an inspired design and not a resemblance to anything real.

Speaking of inspiration--thanks for giving me an idea for another pot painting design!

All I get are the white ones, but they do get quite large sometimes. I see an occasional deer munching on them.

• alisande
    9 years ago

What a great thread! I think that first one is on the cover of my mushroom field guide. Beautiful!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

The white puff balls are good to eat before they get ripe. and are meeting inside. I have an occasional Cicken in the basket fungi and wood ear that are good eating growing on my land. Mushrooms in Central Texas are Rare and fugitive. Better hunting in East Texas.

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

You guys would LOVE Morels!!! Rgey are SOOOO YUMMY!!! Just thought I'd share another pic of our find from this past season.