Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which species of Selenicereus?

Posted by parodise Germany (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 26, 13 at 5:48

Hello everyone,
I recently purchased from different sellers two sets of Selenicereus cuttings. Both sets were sold under the name Selenicereus grandiflorus/Queen of the Night. Interestingly, as you can see in the picture, the cuttings look quite different, both in terms of the color and the distribution of areoles on the stem. The flowers on the mother plants differ slightly, too.
My question is, are these really S. grandiflorus? As I understand, there are many differnet strains of Selenicereus "grandiflorus" in cultivation both here in Europe and, I would guess, in the US, too. Does anyone grow anything similar with a precise ID? Could these be crosses of different Selenicereus species? S. pteranthus? S. macdonaldiae? I would greatly appreciate any help with IDing the plants...
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which species of Selenicereus?

Here's the mother plant of the unrooted cuttings (on the right in the previous post's picture.

o

And this is the mother plant of the cuttings on the rooted cuttings on the left.

o

Isn't that S. grandiflora, all of them? The difference is new growth (very square), older growth, often 6-sided, and the color also varies. I grow them, but not as nicely as you do. You have a nicely grown plant.

Does the plant only make one batch of flowers? Mine only sets one bunch, and I was wondering if that is normal or if other people can coax several seasons of bloom from their plant.

This post was edited by Dzitmoidonc on Sat, Oct 26, 13 at 10:27

o

Dzitmoidonc, thanks for the compliments, but the two adult plants in the pics are the mother plants of the sellers I bought cuttings from - I'm just starting out and am afraid have a long way to go before I get anything like those two....
Anyway, the cuttings seem to be really different - particularly, spination and the ribs (not just the number, but also their shape). I'll definitely keep your comments in mind - you do have a point regarding old/new growth.
Have you grown yours from cuttings/seed? How old is your plant? When did it start blooming?

o

That's pretty,

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here