Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marcyoung

Producing Seeds with Self-Sterile plants & distant hybridising -

marcyoung
10 years ago

I came across this method on another forum (dedicated to cactus breeding my thanks to "Evil Genius") I have spoken with one person who claimed its success & I'm presently using it myself, though it will be a few weeks before I will know if the fruit has set.

Would appreciate any feed back.................

Many garden plants have duplicated their chromosome count (2n, 3n, 4n ).......it may be a natural thing and it is also due to gardeners over 1000'S of years hybridising, breeding plants.......bigger fruit and flowers etc .........this often makes the plant self sterile (needs another plant that isn't its clone to breed successfully, set seed)...... feel free to correct me if I'm in error.................

"just want to share tech that can be used to fertilize the flower of a plant that usually needs pollen from another one to develop seed:

1. Get yourself some Cement from the DIY Store. Very fine pulver. The finer the better. But the typical Commercial grade works fine as well.

2. Get yourself a small brush and apply some of the cement dust on the Stigma of the flower on the plant that you want to produce seeds with. (Also try to blow a little bit of the dust inside the flower....don't breath in)

3. Cement works as some kind of irritator what makes the flower create some Anti-Bodies that enable her to accept her own pollen.

4. Then wait for half an hour and brush some of the own pollen on the flower and repeat this numerous times.

Now heres some additional info: Usually, there is only very few seed to be harvested but it works and the seeds are usually viable. The reason why this works is that cement consists of highly basic calciumsillicates that tremendeously raise the ph of the flower. Because there also are aminoclusters on a pollencorn that are also responsible for raising the ph, the cement has the very same effect. Because of his highly basic potential, cement is even way more effective. Basic niveau reduces the ability of the flower to abort the pollen so it accepts it.

IT ALSO ENABLES YOU TO CROSS plants THAT ARE INCOMPATIBLE WITH EACH OTHER! ie very distantly related. Its not guaranteed that it works all the time and you have to experiment a lot but i know that it worked in some cases.
Another Advantage is that genetecially, defects will be passed down to the offspring.

But in some cases, plants can be weak or not healthy and may need additional generations of breeding in other plants. The produced Offspring thats created with this tech is not to be seen as clones as there is a recombination of DNA going on, what enables them to cross them in with the motherplant as well."

an opportunity to make some very interesting hybrids......or self fertilise a self sterile plant...enjoy....

Comments (4)

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Marc,

I read this post yesterday morning but wanted to give it a chance to be seen by everyone before responding.

This is great info if it works! I'll definitely give it a try. I grow mesembs and other stuff. Right now, lots of Lithops are blooming and often they don't have a match. There are tons of opportunities to use this technique, especially to increase the chances of a cross-genus hybrid like Gasteraloe. Thanks for the info!

• marcyoung
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Hanzrobo
    yeah it does open a world of opportunities ............I have been crossing the pollen of an epi and Cleistocactus.......I think both are self sterile...........its been a couple of weeks now and the fruit does seem to be forming on both....its possible they self pollinated .....either way seed is setting where normally it would not................

This post was edited by marcyoung on Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 6:17

• grabmebymyhandle
    10 years ago

WOW!
    I can't believe this only netted a single post!

Does anyone have any more info on this?

Or follow ups?

I've never heard of this tech. to produce intergenetic hybrids!
    I've heard of using colchicine, it's to dangerous for me to play with!
    Nitrous too, but a hyperbaric chamber is pricey, and nitrous requires a permit...

To hell with gasteraloes!
    I want agavaworthias!

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

I am wowed over this also. got it im my notes and have passed it along to others. Some not members here. But maybe they joined?
    I wonder it that is what they did to create 'Triffidus Celestus', That awful man eating plant.