Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladylotus_gw

Adeniums by seed

ladylotus
12 years ago

The past few years I've been growing Adeniums by seed and giving the plants away as gifts to friends and family. They are so easy to grow by seed and so fun to watch how their little caudex take shape. I love playing with them to try to get some really gnarly shaped caudex.

Here is a photo of my newly repotted Adeniums which were grown from seeds last year.

{{gwi:663423}}

And...here is what one of those seedlings looks like this year. They are amazing in putting on growth. Mind you I did not push them for growth in anyway. They only got rain water or pond water and nothing more. I need to really remember to fertilize better from now on.

{{gwi:663426}}

It is a fun project to grow these on with kids and let them each take one home. I did that for a Girl Scout troop and a couple of them have emailed me photos of their plants and are thrilled with their growth results.

I do a lot of grafting of conifers and would one day love to learn to graft Adeniums.

Thanks for looking. Happy gardening!

Comments (9)

• FshyPlnts
    12 years ago

Hey!
    I love adeniums!
    I have always wanted to try growing them from seed. What method do you use? and from were do you get your seeds? I have grown them from cutting stocks, but they don't develop the same unique caudex. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Envi Sci and Fishy Plants

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    12 years ago

Funny you post this.... I purchased my 1st Adenium this summer while visiting family in Florida. I really love the caudex and want to grow these myself. I found a source for seed in Taiwan, but would like to locate something within the USA because I am fearful the USDA will pitch them. Where do you purchase seed from or do you harvest your own. My plant currently has several seed pods but it will be awhile before they open.

• ladylotus
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Fshyplnts and biker...I purchased my seeds from ebay and have had very good success. There are places in Florida that you can purchase seeds but it is a little expensive. I did order a few times from Taiwan and did get nice healthy seeds at a very low cost. I just checked and they do have seeds listed again with no shipping fees. I think that would be the best way to go. Shipping is always so expensive.

This is how I've grown all my Adenium seeds:

1. I plant my seeds immediately when I get them.

2. I will prepare a soiless mix by mixing 50% perlite and 50% peat moss. If you use soil be sure there is no fertilizer in the soil as that generally causes the seeds to rot (this is my experience anyway).

3. I will place this soiless mix in a container that I can cover with a clear plastic dome or lid. I moisten the soiless mix and place each seed so that it stands up. The seeds are little but long...thus it allows me to place have the seed in the soil and half out of the soil. I have had the best success with this method as when I've placed the entire seed in the soiless mix, it seemed to rot or take longer to germinate.

4. Cover your container and place on a heat mat. If you do not have a heat mat place on the top of your refrigerator or another place that may generate a bit of heat.

5. Mine germinate on a heat mat within 3 or 4 days. Once they are all germinated I slowly begin removing the plastic dome and always water my plants from the bottom. I will only water with rain or pond water and will let the plants dry out before rewatering. I begin placing them into full sun and watch them grow. Once they have 2 to 4 mature leaves I would begin watering them with a very weak fertilizer.

Good luck. It is a lot of fun, as these plants seem to be the easiest to grow on from seed.

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    12 years ago

Ladylotus,
    I too ordered from Taiwan....I planted my seeds after soaking for a few hours ,buried under soil.,laying flat. I covered with Saran wrap,then waited. I have seeds planted in august just now sprouting?????
    Some rotted . Mine are small,two inches or so. I am having trouble now with the cooler temps and sunless days.
    Sharon

• luvidaho_2010
    12 years ago

That looks like a great project for our youth group. Do you have a particular source that you have good luck with in Taiwan? Or should I just Google Adenium seeds and pick a supplier and hope for the best?

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    12 years ago

This is one vendor in Taiwan that may be a good source. Since I've not ordered from him, I don't know but his website sure has a lot of information regarding the growing of these plants. Ladylotus, if you can recall who you ordered from in Taiwan, that would be nice to know. Thx.

http://www.adenium.com.tw/indexe.htm

• ladylotus
    Original Author
    12 years ago

luv and biker...I went through my receipts and found the person I bought my seeds from. This was several years ago so I'm not so sure they are still selling seeds.

Purchased From:adenium_ko

• luvidaho_2010
    12 years ago

Thanks so much lady and biker, I will check these two out to see if I can purchase some seed.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    12 years ago

Ladylotus, that is the same like I have. So the seeds arrived and you had pretty good germination? Since it is getting cold here and I don't have the proper setup in my greenhouse to create enough heat to be successful, I will wait until spring. I thought he had a recipe for the soil mix for sowing the seeds????