Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rina_

Haworthia - damage

There are 2 scab-like things on this haw. I tried to see if there is any bug under, but they are hard, won't scrape off.
Mechanical damage healed over - or perhaps oedema?

Would anybody have proper ID?
TIA.
Rina

Comments (7)

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Okay, I've circled something of interest on your Haworthia... what is it, just another "scarab-like thing"? I've never seen damage like that before (either), I'm intrigued as to what's going on too.

Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Wed, Oct 15, 14 at 8:46

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

Rina, not sure either, but I would be concerned with the circle I've added. Could be mealy... looks like it when you enlarge the picture. Then again could just be dirt or a piece of perlite. The two lighter areas don't look like mealy webs so ??????

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Planto

Thank you (good eyes!). That is actually just a 'garden debris', bits from the pine trees (there are needles in all my pots too). I should have take photo after. And the other one you circled in white is actually very small dent. I have found & tried to remove other 2 I am wondering about when inspecting for possible bugs (bringing them in from garden).
    No webs, luckily, so far didn't find any other bugs.

These haws have been pupping like crazy, some of the pups actually split the older leaves (circled in photo below) - hopefully it's visible. And some more debris from the pine tree is visible on bottom left in this photo too.

Rina

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Rina,
    Thanks. :) Well, that's good to know (that it's just garden debris). I wish I knew what to say, but those spots aren't something I've encountered before. I hate to say just keep an eye on it, but that may be all you can do. If you don't see anymore spots form or signs of a pest, could of just been something tried to take a bite and didn't like the taste (just a guess).

Planto

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Bump.

Rina, did you get any answers to your mystery damage?

Planto

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Planto, I didn't.
    But it is quite unusual to me, and doesn't seem to be doing 'anything' (changing in color/size, no bugs crawling out of it or similar), so I will just watch it & see. I don't see similar damage anywhere on other haws (there is 4 in that same pot). It could be some kind of mechanical damage scabbed (?) over, or oedema as I mentioned before.
    Rina

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Rina,
    Okay. I wasn't sure if maybe you had received a private response. I've never seen oedema on a Haw, but if that is what it is, at least it's just a one-time cosmetic issue. Same with the mechanical damage. Better than pests any day, haha.

Planto