Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldstumpy1

Made up names

I picked this one up awhile ago and started me wondering about made up names like ogre ears and skinny fingers.this one is named crassula oblique 'propeller'
I cant seem to find any information on it.

any one have a list of official names for jades, or know where to find one. pictures are welcome too. I under stand there are over twenty verities and I would like to know what I'm missing

Richard

Comments (16)

• mushibu10
    9 years ago

When I got this it had no name so I went in search of the name and got hunting horns and shreks ears! But the actual name I still don't know.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    9 years ago

Big problem faceing all of us in all plant fields. Seems any grower likes to make up their own names in hopes of getting famus. Thinking they discovered this first and has nameing rights. I have a hobbit jade grown from the wild. Looks most simular to Red Horn but will have to wait to see how it develops. It is 7 months old and I hope I don't kill it thru the winter. I also purchased a veriegated Jade that turned out to be Red Horn so I hope the wild one grows different yet.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

I'm hoping Christopher sees this, Richard, because I think he has the same Jade as yours.

Mushibu, you have a Crassula ovata 'Gollum.'

Stush, you have a Crassula ovata 'Hobbit.'
    The 'Red Horn Tree' is still very uncommon, unless you purchased online, from overseas, or from someone such as Glen who offers cuttings on eBay. 'Red Horn' has much larger leaves than the typical 'Hobbit.'

Josh

• hablu
    9 years ago

The first Crassula can be Crassula orbicularis var orbicularis.
    harry

This post was edited by hablu on Mon, Oct 27, 14 at 15:04

9 years ago

Harry, the first Crassula has thick Jade leaves.

Josh

• oldstumpy1 Long Island ny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

HI HARRY

Here is another picture.
    josh is right it does have thick leaves.

Richard

• kaktuskris
    9 years ago

Josh, is this the one you mean? When I was given the cutting years ago, was told it was called 'Waves.'

Christopher

9 years ago

Hmmm, perhaps I was misremembering...
    Yours is similar, though, Christopher.

Josh

9 years ago

Josh,
    I have Hobbit. This one grew to what you see in a few months and it has leaves twice the size. This is approaching the size of my Red Horn (purchased from Ebay) the tips Turing bright red but no variegation. Struggling now in my basement. I am putting in another shelve under T-8 shop lights to help it out some.
    This was found in a batch of sedum cuttings sent to me from Wash. state. The person who sent it doesn't own any.
    Stush

• kaktuskris
    9 years ago

Stush:

I wouldn't always count on eBay names being accurate. I have a 'Gollum' jade that gets red tips in the sun, but that doesn't make it extraordinary.

Christopher

9 years ago

Josh,
    I showed my Ebay one when I got it a few weeks ago. They called it a Variegated Jade. It was here it was called 'Red Horn'. At over $20. It was a little steep for me. But I wanted a variegated Jade.
    Stush

9 years ago

Another picture of my seedling Jade befor turning deep red at the tips.
    Sorry Rich for stealing you post.
    Stush

• oldstumpy1 Long Island ny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Stan
    steal away my friend I am not one to stand on formality.
    Being old and cheap, I personally would not spend twenty dollars on one plant unless it came with a twenty year old to come to my house to water it.

Richard

9 years ago

Stush, yep, that eBay Jade is a 'Red Horn Tree' for sure. Very nice.
    and $20 is a good price, in my opinion.

The other one...not so sure. Need to wait for more color. Are you sure it was a seedling, rather than a cutting or leaf propagation?

Josh

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Richard, that is a very good idea, lol...Rina

9 years ago

Josh,
    That's what makes this one so special. Just popped up with the cuttings. No other Jades around. My first thought was Sedum, Then the wild portulaca oleracea Common Purslane which I read that it could cross with Jades. So I will hope it is something special.
    Stush