Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
narcnh

Frost good for Bursera fagaroides?

narcnh
10 years ago

It's been a while since I last posted - work getting in the way of life. Had a disastrous spring. After nursing my plants for 8 months under grow lights and in windows, finally put over 200 pots out over Memorial Day weekend on a cloudy day, Left for a week-long business trip, temps went up to 95 for four days with full sun, followed by three weeks of cloudy, cool and heavy rain. What didn't fry in the sun drowned in the rain, even with the gravelly mix listed in this forum. Lost about 20%. But, have rebuilt even bigger and better. The weather has been so mild up here in New Hampshire (not even a frost, yet), that I kept my plants out as long as possible, knowing the sun and fresh air are better than 8 months under grow light. They all did fine, even with temps down to the mid-30's at night. Finally broke down and brought them in this past Wednesday when it was 75F out - 270 pots total. I left one plant out, my B. fagaroides. It did really well this summer (one of the bake/drown survivors) and is still in leaf. I know they like a winter dormant period, but should I leave it out, until there is a hard frost that causes it to drop it's leaves, or just bring it in, put it in a corner and stop watering for a few weeks? I bought it last fall, and it was already dormant. It started leafing out in March, while still indoors. I could bring it in right now and keep it under the grow lights, but I don't think that's the best thing for it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

Comments (3)