Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bentheredonethat

Save this plant?

benjohnson
9 years ago

I'm not sure what this is - I assume it is in the Jade Plant (crassula?) family. I've barely watered it all summer and it has grown a couple inches. But, now it's limping over the edge of the pot - it just never seemed to fill out. Any advice for how to help it?
Thanks in advance.

Comments (7)

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

Ben, I'm not convinced that is a Jade as the leaves look very 'thin', hopefully someone will help on that matter. Need a few questions answering though...
    Where is it placed in relation to the light source?
    Is it kept warm/cold etc?
    What type of compost is it in?
    Has the pot got a drainage hole?
    Sorry for all the questions but they will help determine the problem with your plant and enable us to suggest a possible remedy.

Gill UK

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

More light, more light, more light.

• spapa
    9 years ago

This plant appears to be Kalanchoe luciae, very deprived of light.

• benjohnson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your replies. This plant has been sitting in my mud room for the past six months getting an enormous amount of light. Light from three sides...

I have a regular jade plant there, too - it has grown a lot, but is tall and hasn't filled out to support itself. I would have guessed that it needed more light if it weren't for the fact that this is a very, very bright room - and it's been summer!

Gill, to answer your questions:
    Temperature: I'd say between 70-80 for the past 3-4 months.
    Soil: Cactus Mix Potting Soil.
    Drainage Hole: yes, though I just looked through it and there appears to be mold.

• spapa
    9 years ago

Sorry, but it is definitely a light issue. People often underestimate how much light succulents need. They are generally not indoor plants for this reason, but can possibly be grown in a south-facing windowsill or in a windowsill facing another direction augmented with fluorescent lighting. Still, they won't really thrive unless outdoors in a sunny environment. Mine are indoors 7 months of the year with T5 fluorescent lights in a north-facing window, and it's really just about keeping them alive until they can go outside again - they're not at their best.

• spapa
    9 years ago

Also, based on your description your jade is having the same problem. They will grow up or out with long stems trying to reach for light but won't fill in or get color if they aren't getting enough light - they will stay green with leaves farther apart than is typical for the species.

• benjohnson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, spapa. This is exactly what I wanted to know. Sounds like my days of raising succulents are over!