Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

One of my cutest plants! What's one of yours?

meyermike_1micha
11 years ago

I was looking at this one this naming, thinking how cute it is but I wish I could put a name to it. It's only in a one inch pot and about 6 inches tall.

Thanks again to the very kind person here whom sent it to me in the spring:-)

It was starting coloring up nicely until the rains moved in. It almost reminded me of a tiny weird looking Christmas Tree.

{{gwi:665855}}

{{gwi:665857}}

Do you have a cute plant in your collection?

Mike

Comments (69)

• Colleen E
    11 years ago

Noki, that is indeed ugly enough that it's cute, and the H. cooperi var. truncata is both cute and so pretty.

Annette, that's beautiful color on your jade. The differences between the 'Gollum' and 'Hobbit' jades can be confusing, but are discussed well here.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hey Mike,

Great thread!!

Here is one of my little cuties...

I believe this is a baby from my Portulacaria Afra.

Here are a few that i started..

{{gwi:50807}}
    {{gwi:50808}}

Someone help me with this Id please....
    {{gwi:665867}}

Mother plant...

{{gwi:52914}}

Love all of the other pics !! I think the are all cute!!

Thanks Mike for this fun thread.. :-)

Laura

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

laura, youre no ID is the dreaded Bryophyllum diagremontianum (formerly Kalanchoe)
    Cool plant and great indoors but DONT let it outside! Yours and your neighbours garden will be overrun with it!

• nat_lia
    11 years ago

One of my cutest plants..... Pachyphytum oviferum.
    Common names: Moonstones, Sugar Almond Plant.
    Still rooting, misting only and no watering yet.

{{gwi:665870}}

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

After some debate with my partner in crime we both agreed cute to mean "tiny". A second debate was about a tiny plant or a tiny flower. There was no clear winner to debate #2

First item of debate is a tiny plant in a smaller than a bic pen on all sides staging.

{{gwi:665871}}

Adromischus Marianae Herrei

Second item of debate is the small flower

{{gwi:372660}}

Euphorbia Obesea: Note to the other posted and also a good debate as well. E obesea and my understanding is that males have a flower coloring of orange/yellow female flower is pinkish/red.

Link for E.obesea info and sexes

E. Obesea can sometimes change sex it is not very common as a single or as a set of both M and F in cultivation to change sex. It is more common amongst many of them in an area for some of them to change sexes from F to M or M to F.

• nil13
    11 years ago

I wish I could get a better picture than our initial reference photo but unfortunately this little guy is quite dormant right now.

{{gwi:477481}} "

• linda_denman_island
    11 years ago

I tend to associate cute with smaller plants too, but I think furry cacti are also pretty cute.

• linda_denman_island
    11 years ago

Here it is - glad I checked.

• rachelthepoet
    11 years ago

Linda:

What kind of cactus is that? (I'm a beginner here.)

It looks like a Muppet! Super cute (even if it's not tiny!)

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Baby Sansevierias that grew for me from a Rhizome that I forgot in a pot.

They started out as the tiniest of green specks (was in a thread I posted here called something like "Check twice before Throwing it Out").

{{gwi:596882}}

w/ my finger to show scale

{{gwi:70120}}

baby Schlumbergera seedling (Thankgiving Cactus).

Richard B -- this is thanks to you, I'd never seen this before.

{{gwi:70122}}

& since I knocked it over (in messing w/ it), I thought it'd be interesting to see it alone, out of mix.

{{gwi:591308}}

I like that even when tiny, it's gotten distinct segments already & nice little roots too.

{{gwi:591309}}

I enjoy wacky experiments like these.

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

Neat a phalocereus senilis " Old Man cactus" cute cause it looks a-lot like Thing on the show The Adams Family.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Phalocereus? Has it changed name too? I knew it as Selenocereus when I had one!

• linda_denman_island
    11 years ago

Rachel and all, I always thought it was Oreocereus celsianus. I'm not sure what he (?) reminds me of, but he does have character.

Pirategirl, the baby Schlumbergera is especially cute. One of my Sansevierias is flowering, has been for weeks because there are a few flower spikes, and I didn't know until now that the flowers are fragrant!

• JoeCaudex
    11 years ago

My cutest plant has to be my Sinningia Leucotricha

{{gwi:587693}}

:)

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Linda is right, Oreocereus senilis, thats how I remember it.
    Selenocereus is a night flowering cactus, duh me. Im so rusty!

• lindasewandsew
    11 years ago

Wow, what nice plants and pots too. So many cute plants, so little time!!!

Here's mine. On Google, it's Haemanthus Albiflos, may be called paintbrush. I'm not sure if it's a succulent. The leaves are thick. Right after it bloomed a couple of weeks ago, a grasshopper fell in love with it and did some leaf damage. Linda

{{gwi:665893}}

{{gwi:665895}}

• nil13
    11 years ago

Nice Haemanthus Linda. I was looking for Haemanthus at the last Huntington sale without luck. There are supposed to be some at the next Arboretum sale, so you can bet I'll be there.

• Colleen E
    11 years ago

The Sinningia is a delight. Really adore that plant. And the Haemanthus: beautiful.

Thank you for that multiceps compliment! Wish it and some other plants looked a tad better at this time.

• Microthrix
    11 years ago

Omg, you expect me to chose a favorite? Well i sifted through all of my succulents, but couldnt choose one of them. Seems like i have a thing for miniature cacti.

Back- 1. Frailea phaeodisca 2. Cintia knizei. (Got slightly burned in summer)
    Middle- 3. Uebelmannia pectinefra 4. Aztekium hintonii
    Front- 5. Mammillaria herdenazii (spelling?)

• Microthrix
    11 years ago

Omg, you expect me to chose a favorite? Well i sifted through all of my succulents, but couldnt choose one of them. Seems like i have a thing for miniature cacti.

Back- 1. Frailea phaeodisca 2. Cintia knizei. (Got slightly burned in summer)
    Middle- 3. Uebelmannia pectinefra 4. Aztekium hintonii
    Front- 5. Mammillaria herdenazii (spelling?)

{{!gwi}}

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hanzrobo!!! Lolollol..You are two funny..Boys? I am not sure of what mine are, maybe aliens..Wait until you see mine.. lol

By the way, I thought you would notice. I have others too:)

My goodness, I can't believe all the cuties here! I think I have another lying around somewhere. GREAT looking plants and quite different. Such a vast amount of nice plants!

I am jealous about some of the cuties here..I could use a few..

A bunch of cuties ALL!

Mike

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Some nice cacti Microthrix! I love that mamm.

• noki
    11 years ago

Is this cute?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Define cute. Jinda D thinks Senile old men cute. I won't even talk abot where those baby feet were sticking out of. Hmm "Cute". I will have to look at my plants with a new perspective on cuteness..It's homework for tomorrow morning.

• notolover
    11 years ago

I think a lot of my cacti are "cute", but one of my favorite noncactus is my Tiger Aloe--she just loves having "them babies".

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

Aloe Lizard Lips

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Few cuties:

{{gwi:665900}}{{gwi:665902}}{{gwi:665904}}{{gwi:665908}}{{gwi:665910}}

And from this:

{{gwi:665912}}

to this is may not be cute but interesting:

{{gwi:665914}}

• grabmebymyhandle
    11 years ago

im not the photographer that many of you are, only i get a better camera or a better grasp of the one I have my tiniest tinies will go unposted... :/

these guys are cute tho, im sure of it!

Here is a link that might be useful: more frog pots

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Notolover, great Aloe variegata there, mine never pupped once. It did flower each year but no pups, and now its gone...

Mrlike2u, thats a lovely Lizard Lips, one of those that Im looking for, that and Doran Black. I love small aloes!

Rina, you bored? Lol
    I see a plantain flower there.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

A tiny piece of stonecrop that I found in my veg patch outside, has a few roots on it. Im always amazed at how these plants survive our winters, it being so wet then frosty!

Sharing its pot at the moment is a cutting of Deagon's Blood Sedum I picked. That was one of my first houseplants. I know theyre garden plants but they look so good indoors, trailing from a pot!

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Noto...Where did you get that one? Was it bought locally or on a web site. I woudl like to get one of those...Thanks..I love it@!

Noki...Oh yah..lol. Quite different for sure.

Hey Larry, great to see you. I think that's a cutie for sure. Tiny..

Grabme..lol..Now isn't that a site to see.lol I can think of one person that would love your frog pots! What a collection you have there.

Wow Rina..And your plants just keep on coming. What an interesting pic is right. Thanks.

Wes..Gotta love lizard lips... Nice

I didn't realize there were so many of us with 'cute' plants...Just as many of us have ugly ones too..lol

Mike

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Last night was a wild night out here in the garden. The old man woke up and looks worse for wear. I am always telling him he needs to take his pony tail down before he goes to bed. Roadkill and Kleiniae are still dancing the night away to the rising sun.

{{gwi:665916}}

{{gwi:665918}}

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Does anyone else out there give their cactus hairdos?

• Colleen E
    11 years ago

Oh, Mara, you're a hoot. HAHA. That's great.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hahahhahahaah...

The only thing you need on the 'old man' is a pair of fake eye balls, the kind they use on pet rocks and sunglasses.lol

That second, I had NO idea even flowered. I have one of those. Yahoo.

Mike

• notolover
    11 years ago

LOL Mara--I don't even do anything with my hair, you're very devoted.

Mike--I bought this Aloe at a local nursery a few years ago. I'm sure Momma wouldn't mind if you adopted a few of her babies, but the weather here has taken a very ugly turn today. Maybe in Spring?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Hey, I don't do my hair either.That was the best I could do for a hair ribbon. What's a girl to do? Pretty pitiful . It is string I use for leveling with my string level

• juliebees2009
    11 years ago

TO:
    Joe Claudex....

I have saw that plant before without that bulb also I have saw bulbs of some type of wood to put orchids in could this be one of them?

If so please let me know. It truly does make me think of one. I am not saying yours is planted i one at all don't get me wrong. also where did you find such a amazing plant at I love it.
    Good luck growing this pretty. I love them all if there growing and thriving they are a beauty.

• jojosplants
    11 years ago

Here's one of my favorites! Have had it about 2 years now. and the container was my first attempt at Hyper Tufa. A flop but I do love how it turned out. lol..
    The plant is about 3" tall and each arm about the thickness of a pencil maybe a little smaller.

Sorry about the dark pic. It was an overcast day. :-(

Epithelantha polycephala

{{gwi:665920}}

JoJo

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I forgot about this thread! lol

Thank you so much Notolover. I would love to take you up on that. Maybe I can share something with you too:-)

Wanton, you are a riot.lol

Jojo, now that is a cutie! I love how all the little ones surround the little ones. It looks like a center piece and that pot certainly has flavor, character....I would like to make one for myself actually. Upon first glance I was going to ask you where you got it.Yup..lol
    I love the coloring of both that pot and the plant. They almost blend. Nice job!

You even gave it a name. Wowowoa

Mike:-)

• jojosplants
    11 years ago

I must say, i've enjoyed everyone's pictures!

Hi Mike!
    Now how could you forget this thread. lol..
    I love this plant and hope I get it through another winter.

We had a blast making the hyper tufas. This one was formed over a square pot but kept falling down. LOL! so I let it go. Sat around for 6 mo. before I decided what would go in it. :-)

Thank you.. :-) I think the plant blends in well with it too.

It came with that name. ;-) I dare you to say it 10 times fast. LOL! I got this from Arid Lands.

JoJo

• juliebees2009
    11 years ago

OK
    I love all the plants I am glad I dont have to be a judge over them but I have a question...I have 2 old men cactus and I bought a old woman this week shes bigger and harrier so if I put them all together whats gonna happen :)

Also I bought a obesa (this store was going out of business) so I kinda went cacti happy. it just was tagged baseball cactus, now I didn't know about them changing sex, man what kind of cactus store as he selling LOL I truly need to read up on some of the cactus I bought I just have not had the time or know the correct name to look them up thats why love this place you can find what you need.

You all have beautiful plants I learned just by looking I dont know why the old man was a bit redder than I ever saw was it out in the sun a lot this year?

Bye all for now happy growing.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Your old lady might have babies with those two old men in the same pot. Sounds kinky tome.

All kidding aside, they will slowly make a pup or two off the main columns but they seem to grow ever so slowly or mine do. One might give them a bit of room if you are worried about that. Or just ignore it and if they crowd, then one can deal with it later.

• juliebees2009
    11 years ago

Well the big old lady is in a pot by itself and the old men are also they are just half her size.....this will be interesting....I have been searching and I still can not figure out the male from the female.

My son said I might turn out too be a granny. LOL

• TheMasterGardener1
    11 years ago

A Thanksgiving Cactus I rooted late summer from larger plants. There has to be at least 6 rooted cacti. Out of all of them this one really put out a nice bloom. The mother plant is full of blooms.

{{gwi:665922}}

• jojosplants
    11 years ago

My favorite color! Very nice Mastergardener!

JoJo

• Laura Robichaud
    11 years ago

I love this thread. Thought I'd share my cute cactus the kids gave me for Mother's Day last year. Not sure what he is, but he's a cutie.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Laura - that could be 'Fairy Castle Cactus' (Cereus tetragonus)?

• Laura Robichaud
    11 years ago

Thanks Rina. That appears to be it. A Fairy Castle Cactus would have to be cute, no doubt.

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure