Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propeller Plant - show me yours!

Posted by lme5573 none (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 6, 12 at 10:52

Last week I bought a crassula falcata "Propeller Plant" in a 3.5" pot. I thought I was getting a plant that would be more of a short pinwheel, but on checking the internet, I found that it will be at least 12" tall. I have a sunny porch with southern exposure, and I think it will do well there in the summer. But for now I need to get it through the winter.
I tried to water it, but the soil is so dry the water ran right out. So I plan to remove the soil from the roots, wash away all the bad dirt and repot in a gritty mix.
I've done a search on GW and have seen Propeller Plants that are in hanging pots, and some that are upright.
So I have several questions - What should I expect - upright or pendant, and how big a pot should I use? Is it a fast grower?
I ask about the pot, because it makes a difference if it's going to be hung or not.
Here's a link the the article I thought was most helpful - it's from the Columbus Garden Society, and I live in Michigan. Their thoughts about over-wintering were very helpful.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Lenore

Here is a link that might be useful: Columbus Cactus Club - Crassula falcata

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propeller Plant - show me yours!

My plant flopped over as it approached flowering size. It did not form side shoots. I think I accidentally thumbed a tiny sprout off last fall. It was grown in partshade mostly. This year I gave it more sun. I am more cautious with full sun after frying many a full sun plant in the Texas sun. I think the full sun fried any new growth of small rosettes so I am thinking of pulling it back from the full sun position again. This is my first so I am somewhat a newbie. I have never seen many of them so I can't use observations as a way of garnering knowledge. I clipped off the flower stalk and I see some action happening at its base. is that one plant or a grouping of separate rosettes. This plant has given me a lot of enjoyment through the last couple of years.

Crassula perfoliata ssp. falcata

Crassula perfoliata ssp. falcata

Crassula perfoliata subsp. falcata

o
RE: Propeller Plant - show me yours!

Thanks for sharing your pictures, wantonomara. I have 7 or 8 rosettes growing in a 3.5" pot. Two of them are pretty small and may be attached, but I won't know until I get them out of that pot. I have a clay pot that is about 6" across and is shaped like the pot in your last picture, and I think that's the one I'll use.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here