Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lme5573

Propeller Plant - show me yours!

lme5573
11 years ago

Last week I bought a crassula falcata "Propeller Plant" in a 3.5" pot. I thought I was getting a plant that would be more of a short pinwheel, but on checking the internet, I found that it will be at least 12" tall. I have a sunny porch with southern exposure, and I think it will do well there in the summer. But for now I need to get it through the winter.

I tried to water it, but the soil is so dry the water ran right out. So I plan to remove the soil from the roots, wash away all the bad dirt and repot in a gritty mix.

I've done a search on GW and have seen Propeller Plants that are in hanging pots, and some that are upright.

So I have several questions - What should I expect - upright or pendant, and how big a pot should I use? Is it a fast grower?

I ask about the pot, because it makes a difference if it's going to be hung or not.

Here's a link the the article I thought was most helpful - it's from the Columbus Garden Society, and I live in Michigan. Their thoughts about over-wintering were very helpful.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Lenore

Here is a link that might be useful: Columbus Cactus Club - Crassula falcata

Comments (11)

• lme5573
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing your pictures, wantonomara. I have 7 or 8 rosettes growing in a 3.5" pot. Two of them are pretty small and may be attached, but I won't know until I get them out of that pot. I have a clay pot that is about 6" across and is shaped like the pot in your last picture, and I think that's the one I'll use.

• Bertie Bremner-Milne
    8 years ago

This is my Propeller Plant

have had it for around two years and it's potted in basic Catus Mix. it grows straight up and is really solid.

its just about to flower and I'm so excited!

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    8 years ago

That looks fabulous, Bertie. Happy and healthy plant.

Mine is out in full hot sun, probably needs some afternoon shade.

• ewwmayo
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Here's mine! It's tiny in comparison and I wish I had gotten a bigger one instead. It is growing well in nearly full sun outdoors. This is two month's growth (first month indoors, second month outdoors):

Crassula falcata sounded much cooler than Crassula perfoliata var. minor, boo!

• Neil
    8 years ago

Wow. Just noticed the date of the original post!

• Mary
    8 years ago

I recently got one of these guys, took forever to id it! Glad to find it's already mentioned on the forum. Anyone have any further advice or suggestions on care? Thanks M

• ewwmayo
    8 years ago

M - Congrats on the new acquisition! My best advice is:

1. Use a mix with lower water retention.
    2. Put grit or rocks so that the bottom leaves don't get wet (they are susceptible to mould).
    3. Good airflow helps a lot.
    4. Try to give as much light as possible.

Here is how mine is doing now, it has grown quite a bit over the past 6 months:

• Mary
    8 years ago
    Oh wow Eww it really has grown, and looks great too!! Will do I hadn't repotted 3till I could properly identify this guy, a tiger jaws(scientific names still aren't my thing), and the key lime pie, my daughter calls mermaids tail, which I like better!
  • tayjoaquin
    8 years ago

I just picked this bad boy up and the lady working did not have much information on reporting it. What size pot should I use? The current size is 3.5 in.

• Lars
    8 years ago

Blooms in August. I moved some of it to the front yard, as it outgrows the planter.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!