Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corpsmancooper

Jade pruning

CorpsmanCooper
11 years ago

Here's some pictures of my large jade. It's starting to get some nice color now and I've been doing some leaf pruning. I've already pinched off at least 60 or 70 leaves. It is much less bushy than it was. How much can I safely prune without stressing it? I want to encourage stem growth and get it taller and more tree-like.

~Erin~

{{gwi:667113}}

{{gwi:667115}}

{{gwi:667117}}

Comments (15)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

Erin,

You can remove most of the foliage and minor stems / trunks with no problem, particularly since now C. o. is in growth mode. Do so in a manner that provides a pleasing shape to you, and in 6 months you won't, depending on the amount initially removed, won't even know that you pruned it in fall. All of those lower side branches should go, IMO, but that first picture shows a leftist limb - I'd keep that, but not most of the foliage on it.

• CorpsmanCooper
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Jeff! I'm going to try and root a lot of the cuttings. Hopefully I will have plenty to send out to people on here! I know there's nothing special about a regular jade but you can never have too many in my opinion!

~Erin~

• CorpsmanCooper
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok I think I've trimmed about as much as I feel comfortable. I left around 2 to 4 leaves per branch. I'm not yet ready to delve in to the art of trimming limbs. Especially larger ones. Maybe next fall. I want to give it a chance to really grow. This is probably the first time this jade has gotten any kind of pruning. As many of you know my German neighbor gave it to me. She has 3 more that are even bigger! She leaves them out all year long and doesn't do much to them except cover them when we are going to have a frost. I plan on doing about the same but if the temps get too low for an extended period I will bring it in. It's planted in a medium that is not very fast draining but I took the advice of some of you on here and have just left it alone because it's thriving. However, I believe I will probably re-pot come spring because it appears to be root bound. I wish she would give me her other ones or at least let me play with them a little LOL.

~Erin~

PS I'm going to attempt to root the leaves I pinched off. I realize it's really nothing special. It's just a plain old jade. However, if I get a good amount of rooted leaves would any of you be interested?

{{gwi:667119}}

{{gwi:667121}}

{{gwi:667123}}

• Ron4310
    11 years ago

If it was mine I would take off about 50% of what's left after you pruned it to give it a good shape. Mine are pruned back very hard every spring. Leaves take a long time to root and grow - better off rooting cuttings.

• mmstiner
    11 years ago

I had several "Regular Jade Plants" when I was in New Orleans with no formal training I subjected them to wire training (as in Bonsai) with great results. They respond quickly and are so rewarding. Don't be too intimated by the fear of messing up for they are resilient and forgiving. Tis best to ere on the side of caution. Don't go hog wild and pig crazy on them. When you get your leaves rooted, (and they should root well) I would be delighted to trade or do postage on a few. Guaranteed a good home here in Va.

• silentsurfer
    11 years ago

hey Erin
    wow Nice Job! that really aired-it-out didnt it!?
    I luv that plant, its gorgeous,,
    are those 'suckers' growing from the main plant? or cuttings youve stuck in there maybe?
    i think other than (maybe?) getting it more 'centered' in the pot this Spring when you repot, It Looks Fantastic!

good luck w/the leaf cuttings. :)

heres a recent start to inspire you lol :)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Hey, Erin!
    Good work. I think you'll get quite a flush of new growth.
    I didn't see any mention of whether or not you're attached to that sideways growth,
    but I've taken the liberty of marking one of your images where I would consider another cut.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Y like the leaning over to the left look but just not quite as much as is there, I would cut it back one more to the left of that last red mark. The red mark would leave it too balanced.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Indeed!
    It would be balanced, which is what I prefer when growing a taller tree-like Jade....
    directing the foliage upward, above the central trunk, so that the plant won't tip over
    when it becomes large.

Either way, the plant will respond well.

Josh

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Good looking plant, interesting windswept look but I'd be worried about actual wind-sweep! I think I might try to reposition the trunk, so it goes up to the right, then turns left. That should be about even, without cutting much off, maybe the lowest branch on the right of the large trunk closest to the camera. It would be too horizontal and just too much mass on the right for what's in my mind's eye. A few other small ones.

• jojosplants
    11 years ago

Beautiful plant!
    If it were me, I'd cut it where Josh marked. It is going to get very heavy to the one side eventually. I would do it now so I didn't get attached to it and come home some day to find it flopped and broke. ;-)

JoJo

• CorpsmanCooper
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys! I'm actually kind of attached to the left growing branch at this moment. I may change my mind in a year or so. It's sort of bonsai-esque and I like it but I realize it's going to get heavy as time goes on so I just might trim it. I already have a pot for it to go in to in the Spring. It's nice and heavy. We shall see! It's already sprouting new leaves all over the place and it looks like it's about to bloom for the first time since I got it! I've never had a jade bloom so this is very exciting to me! We have a freeze warning for tonight. It's supposed to go down to 33 degrees so I'm planning to bring it in for the night. I hate that I have to do that because it's starting to get some really nice color but I'm afraid to leave it out!

~Erin~

PS I don't believe those are suckers to the right of the plant. I think they're leaves that fell and sprouted. I haven't even had the plant for a year yet and those were in there when I got it. I guess we will find out in the Spring when I re-pot. Either way I think I'll get rid of them and pot the up individually come Spring.

11 years ago

The plant will probably take whatever you do in stride, hence the fun of doing anything/something. Have a blast!

Had the 1st frost here last night. Did it get you too?

• CorpsmanCooper
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Our first frost was the night before last. I live in the Pan Handle of Florida. What part of AL purpleinopp?

~Erin~

11 years ago

I'm in Opp, a few miles north of Crestview. Had 2nd frost last night. I think we just got lucky a few recent nights. My Mom had some frost a couple weeks ago just a few miles away. Spring seems so far away today...!

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert