Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bikerdoc5968

Echeveria ID

I was given several leaves of this Echeveria about this time last year. It had no name and the owner was clueless! This is the plant from one of the leaves as it is today. While you can't see them, there are two flower spikes. In our cool weather, it will be a month or more before they open. Any assistance as to an ID.... Please?

Howard

Comments (13)

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

No idea but its fabulous!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

It looks like E. 'Mauna Loa' , E. Arlie Wright, E. 'Dick's Pink', E. 'Zorro', . They kinda all look similar but my gues is E. ' Dick's Pink'... but that could be because it was taken in similar light situation and at the same time of the year. These things get green and pink depending on the light. But you knew that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Echeveria 'Dicks Pink' .

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Mara, but all of the plants suggested are much more crinkled than my plant and the leaves have a much different shape. Only the edge of the leaf is crinkled on my plant. One consideration is Echeveria gigantea.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

I happened to see that plant;s photo published recently, Howard, in the special issue (Oaxaca) of the CSSA Journal, and that plant has no crinkled edges. Maybe what you have is a cultivar / hybrid. That issue's cover picture had Mammillarias growing out of the bark of a palm tree.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

Looks like an Echeveria of the shaviana/gibbiflora hybrid type. There are lots and lots of them. The shaviana contributes the rippled edge, the gibbiflora the heft. Both together seem to have the potential fabulous coloration.

• rosemariero6
    11 years ago

Sorry, I'm not at home at the moment, Howard (at urgent care w/son). I'll check my Echeveria book when I get home & see if I can find a match or suggestions for you.

• sherryinmaine
    11 years ago

Rosemarie, I hope all turned out well with your son.

• paul_
    11 years ago

All that from one leaf in a year? Quite the overachiever that plant. Lovely coloration.

• rosemariero6
    11 years ago

Thanks, Sherry. We were hoping it was not broken or cracked ribs. Turns out probably bruised. He'll live.

Howard, from the book, Echeveria Cultivars, your beautiful plants looks closest to 'Harry Butterfield' or perhaps 'Sundancer'. While I can't say it is either of these for sure, as I don't know if they are found in the trade much.

As others have mentioned, it looks like E. gibbiflora, E. gigantea and/or E.shaviana is in the mix. :)

Wonderfully grown, Howard! A beauty to have, even without a name!

• culibra
    11 years ago

Hi Howard,
    I agree with Rosemarie.. Harry Butterfield would be my guess too. Others mentioned vastly different forms and colours...P.S.They put the wrong pic in for Sundancer in the E.C. book Sundancer [mine from Dick originally ]mottley mauvy pink. He used gibbiflora and gigantes as parent plants for many of his hybrids

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to both of you. My question is this: If it is HB, the pics I've seen of it have more of a wavy leaf as well as the undulated margins....

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, not that Echeveria flowers help with the ID but here is one of the spikes from this plant as it appears today (11/10/12). So anyone know a proper name for this big leaf Echeveria??????

• rosemariero6
    11 years ago

Great flower shot, Howard! Unfortunately, with most of these hybrid Echeveria, flowers aren't very helpful with their IDs (as you surmised). ;( I'm still thinking it could be 'Harry Butterfield'. The wavy leaves/undulated margins may just be part of its variability (sometimes the plants look very different from season to season). I suppose you'll never know for certain. Wish I could be of more help to you!