Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sierra_aurora

Attempting to save mystery plants. I.D. and advice?

Sierra_aurora
9 years ago

I recently picked up a couple of nearly dead succulents at the grocery store. I felt awful that they were just tossed in some pots with no dirt, probably to be thrown away, and I figured that I probably couldn't make things any worse.

So, my questions are: what are these, if anyone can tell in their pitiful state, and can they be saved? Thanks! :)

{{gwi:668090}}

{{gwi:668091}}

Comments (11)

• spikef35
    9 years ago

I believe they are both jades

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

Well, firstly, and more important than a name for them is if you want to save them they need to come out of whatever they are planted in at the moment. What is the soil you've used, it looks like ordinary garden soil maybe?
    They are definitely succulents and that being the case I use a free draining gritty mix made up of equal amounts of small gravel, perlite, bark chips and very gritty cactus mix (some may not advise this last ingredient as some C&S mixes are very peaty, so be careful here with what you use, if you can't get a good one, lessen the amount of it). It needs to be damp, that's all, don't water until you see signs of growth. Cut of any brown/dead/decaying end of their stem and let them dry for a day or so, it won't harm them, then plant in your new mix. A name may well come in soon, but they will not do well in that soil I'm certain. Hope this helps.

Gill UK

• Sierra_aurora
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Spike, I'll see what I can look up knowing that.

And you too, Greenclaws. I've been reading up on succulent planting mix, but it's difficult just finding basic potting soil in my area this time of year. You're right about the soil, but I've mixed it thoroughly with small gravel to try and help with drainage, as well as putting them in a pot that has plenty of drainage. Before looking up anything about succulents I'd never even heard of cactus mix, much less seen it around here.

Obviously I can get my hands on the gravel (it's actually aquarium gravel, as that's all I could find,) and I have a bag of perlite already. If I leave out the cactus mix should I substitute it with something else?

• spikef35
    9 years ago

Yes u can use a good potting soil

• spikef35
    9 years ago

Ok the one with round leafs is a Crassula portulacea hobbit witch is a jade type and the other is your regular jade

• Sierra_aurora
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, thanks again! I looked up those plants, and I think you've hit the nail on the head with Crassula portulacea hobbit witch. The other one I'm not as sure about, because it seems that regular jade has rounded leaves? One of the two leaves left on my plant has the same pointed tip you see on echeveria, like moonglow. But I could be wrong about jade having rounded leaves; feel free to tell me if I am :)

• Gigi85
    9 years ago

Hmm... I am not sold on either of your plants being jades. Maybe an echeveria or sedum of some sort?

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

Hopefully we will be able to name them correctly once they have grown on a bit more in their new mix. The current one may already have the small gravel in it, but it seems compacted and heavy. Aquarium gravel should be fine.

Can't tell the size of pot from the pics, but small ones will do just fine till they are rooted and growing strongly so try not to over-pot...the more soil there is the higher the chance of rotting if they are overwatered at some point. Plus, most folks advocate using individual pots. Best of luck, hope to see some good results soon, as if they are crassulas they are easy to root.

Gill UK

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

I would agree, it is NOT a jade. Looks like a Graptoveria hybrid. As Gill said size will make things easier. And "potting soil" is not acceptable substitute. Just my 2 cents.

• Sierra_aurora
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'll definitly post again once they've grown a little more. For now I know of some very small clay pots I can get because I'll admit, they're definitly over potted, and I should be able to manage a new soil mix for them too. I really appreciate everyone's input. Coming from growing things more like African violets and zinnias, succulents are new ground for me.

• spapa
    9 years ago

Second plant is xGraptoveria 'Bella.' I don't believe the first is a jade, but with just one full leaf it's really hard to tell. As others have said, the most important thing is changing the growing conditions if you want them to survive!

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm