Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
jade leaves turning black?

Posted by blutarski (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 8, 08 at 11:22

the leaves of my jade are turning black. It looks like dirt, but won't rub off. I have a peacock ech that is also starting to show these signs.

What is it and how do I treat it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: jade leaves turning black?

Can you post a photo?

At the height of summer, I had a few black spots (indentations) and black edges appear on about ten leaves. The leaves also had a dingy green color, so I plucked them off.

Could be too much water.

Could be a bug attack.

I don't know enough about Jade ailments to diagnose without an image, however....and even then it might prove beyond my ken.

Josh

o

Possibly rotl. Take them out of the pot, and dry off the roots, trim it back and destroy the leaves, clean out the soil, wash the roots off with Clorox 50% water. Put the whole mess into an empty pot and place in the shade.Trim those leave off down to the trunk. If the trunk is rotted trim all the way down to where it isn't. Now make sure there is plenty of air circulation. Has summer started yet where you are? (Winter isn't here yet) If so don't water until you see new growth. I did notice that you are from Australia, and live on the West coast. If you have moisture in the air, no water is needed during your cool months, they don't do well here in high humidity. Mine are all root bound and are not growing in peat moss. Many are coming into flower now, as the weather is cooling down at night for us. If you can't find any healthy wood/ leaves/ stems, trunk, you must destroy the plant. Crassula ovata 'Jade' is not known to get diseases.

Josh remember
Australia is like Africa, the opposite weather that we are getting. Everything is reversed including which direction the toilet water goes around the bowl. I think it could also be black mold, he needs to remove this plant from the rest of his collection. It is known to grow on the East Coast of Africa, on rocky hill sides. Drainage of the soil is very important grows in full hot sun among rocks. Norma

o

I agree. Check for rot.

And, Norma, of course I hadn't forgotten about weather in the southern hemisphere!

I can't remember exactly when I had black indentations appear on my jade leaves.....sometime in June, I'd reckon. I could probably browse back through this Forum and find a mention with a date. I know it was after a raccoon attack....

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here