Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
postpunkgirl

Cold Weather Pansies - getting ready for winter (pic heavy)

postpunkgirl
12 years ago

When it comes to cold weather... I'm as big of a wuss as my succulent babies. When the temp hits 40 degrees in TX (even if only for a few months) I want to hibernate!

{{gwi:668720}}

Getting ready for first frost... making room, merging plants, seperating offsets, neem-ing, trimming, photographing! :)

My $1.25 clearance bin Voodoo looks much better I think! Still a long way to go.

{{gwi:668721}}

{{gwi:668722}}

My boys, sabotaging me while I was neeming by throwing acorns in my pots... until I ran them off! ;)

{{gwi:668723}}

CRUNCHY mix! (There's more perlite underneath.)

{{gwi:668724}}

Momma

{{gwi:668725}}

Baby

{{gwi:668727}}

Clearance bin Gollum still going strong, even inside. Hope the winter indoors is kind to it!

{{gwi:668729}}

More clearance bin cast offs... I'm hopeless. I know it's risky, but there is something so satisfying about SAVING them!

{{gwi:668730}}

More Aeonium

{{gwi:668731}}

The overwintering window sill.

{{gwi:668732}}

Hoya baby

{{gwi:668733}}

Hoya corner, and my speck on a clover. ;)

{{gwi:668734}}

Hoya lacunosa Tove

{{gwi:668735}}

Any other tips for overwintering??

Cheers~

Sara

Comments (9)

• Marie Tran
    12 years ago

Postpunkgirl, beautiful arrangement and healthy collection.

• postpunkgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks 1tran54! Guess I should have taken a little longer to think of a clever title for this post... sort of misleading! HA!

• Pat z6 MI
    12 years ago

I just planted cold weather pansies yesterday so this was a little misleading, indeed; but l loved it.
    Pat

• couchpotato89
    12 years ago

They all look great, and thanks to your post I have confirmed that one new plant of mine is an Aeonium:D

Also your Gollums are looking great!

• postpunkgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Pat and CouchPotato89! Seriously... what a dork I am! But maybe I'll have to go buy some yellow pansies for my bare patio, now. ;)

I'm loving my green centered Aeoniums waking up! And Voodoo and Gollum will always be special to me if they continue to thrive... and at such a steal of a price!

Sara

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

Very nice plants!

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

Love them all,they look soooooooooo healthy.
    kathi

• User
    12 years ago

Hi PPG - Sara,

Nice collection, but a couple of quick points.

I believe that Hoya ID is incorrect (sorry), that's not Lacunosa, more likely it's DS-70/Tsangii (I grow both plants in question). Post the pic at Hoya forum if you'd like confirmation (Hoya forum is sort of next door, don't know if you know).

Lovely as those community pots of clearance bin succulents are (& they ARE lovely), if you paid any money for your Hoyas, I'd move them further apart. Those rosette succulents (which I love also) can all bring mealy w/ them from the clearance rack & mealy is HIGHLY contagious among Hoyas, especially your Hoya on the far left, the varieg. H. compacta (hindu rope).

Not sure why you call 'black' Aeonium 'Vodoo', but it's likely A. Schwartzkoff or Atropurpurem, I always confuse those 2. Looking quite nice those Aeoniums.

• postpunkgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi pirate girl! I frequent the Hoya forum quite often. I purchased a lot of my Hoyas from EBay... But purchased two supposed EA lacunosas from big box retailers that look completely different from each other. I received an ID from the Hoya forum of my dark green as Ruby Sue and the lighter I was just guessing as Tove. You know how spotty their labeling can be. The Aeoniums that have the larger more sporadic looking leaves were labeled as "Voodoo" and listed two parent plants with Schwarzkopf being one of them. The other more bushy aeonium was purchased from an eBay seller in San Diego calling it Blushing Beauty... Not sure on that one.

I have tried to be very precautious with the Hindu Rope as well as all of the clearance bin babies. Most I have systemically sprayed with a Neem/Soap/Alcohol mix I found in the Hoya forum. Admittedly, it is a pain in the rear!!! And I'm sure the Echeveria will only be tolerant of sprays if they are few and far between. The Aeoniums don't seem to mind at all.

I realize it's a gamble, but they just won't make it outside in a N TX winter. I'm crossing my fingers!!! Anyhow, thank you for the advice and info.

And thank you, thank you to Kathi and Hoovb!

~Sara