{{gwi:640207}}

{{gwi:640208}}

{{gwi:671401}}

{{gwi:671402}}

{{gwi:671403}}

{{gwi:671404}}

{{gwi:671405}}

{{gwi:640206}}

Josh..Here are the ones you sent me..Not a darn flower but they are coloring up buddy! My camera does not take pics as bright as the colors are but you get the idea..:-)

{{gwi:640205}}

Comments (58)

• americangolden
    10 years ago

Looking great Mike! Thanks for sharing!

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Americangolden, Camellia, Marquest, and Norma, thank you! Let me see your colors too when they happen...

Nancy, I will e-mail about colored jades..There has to be a cutting or two I can share with you that stay colored and not revert back to green so you can have color at all times and call them your favories..:-)

There are many of my Jades that do not revert back to green from Europe and I will hook you up.,

Josh..I knew you would say that..lol I have been a bit lazy taking pictures these days since my camera is a piece of junk..
    But everytime I see your pics, you motivate me again..Thanks pal.

Ben.,.Where in the world did you find them pic? Those pics do look like mine..The person name gave me a name on them, just that I would love then and called them variegated,,I don't think she knew herself....BUt that is as close as you can get I suppose..

Has anyone here ever thought of taking such closeups of just the stumps themselves..I think I will soon..I find that even just the stumps on some of these particular jades are just a nice as the leaves theselves...Don't you agree?

MIke

• Colleen E
    10 years ago

You're killin' me, Mike!

Like usual. ;)

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Not a great picture but the colors are just starting...

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Beautiful looking Jades Bikerdoc!! Wow, that one on the right is SO Full and just gorgeous!! Thanks for sharing the pictures!!
    I'm really jealous of the colors you guys are getting up North...it will be a while for me before I see those :o(

In the meantime I'm enjoying seeing everyone's beautiful pictures.

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

Such Gorgeous Colors! I had no idea the many varieties out there.

I stumbled across this forum while looking for ideas on how to prune my basic large green leaf jade. I'm so glad I found it. I have seen some beautiful jades and the colors are amazing!

Last Saturday, I went out of town hitting all the nurseries and could only find the variegated Tricolor looking jade.

Mike, I'm afraid there won't be any colors for me to post as my green one is still green. Hopefully, I can find some other varieties.

All I can say is, "Is it Spring, yet?"...LOL...I had no clue what an exciting plant this is!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Biker, those are some full Jades! I've got to get whacking! ;-)

Mike, I certainly agree...it was the elephantine trunk of the Jade plant that first captured my eye, and I haven't looked back since! Two of my favorites are obliqua with its hairy nodes, and then C. arborescens with its unique trunk that is almost reminiscent of yellowish onion skin when it begins to peel. In fact, I bought the C. arborescens just for the trunk!

Mike, here's an update on one of those variegates that stays bright all year round - I think it's the same as the first Jade you posted in this Thread. Thanks again!

Josh

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Wow...that's is beautiful Josh!!! Love it!

Mike, that would be awesome :o)

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    10 years ago

Every ones Jades look great! The weather here has been crazy. Some nights are still staying warm, so the color on my Jades isn't popping yet. I'll post some pics when they do.

Mike, I hope all is well. It's nice to see the "Jade crew" is still here!

• woodnative
    10 years ago

Mike-WOW!!!!!!!! Beauties!!!!!!!

• bens2bens
    10 years ago

Hi,
    i finally made some pictures of some of mine. Here in the last days the weather was always close to freezing at night and on day time there was lots of sun ... so optimal conditions for strong colors.

{{gwi:671406}}

{{gwi:671407}}

{{gwi:671408}}

Crosby's Compact
    {{gwi:671409}}

a pale yellow form of Crosby's sometimes called "Helios"
    {{gwi:671410}}

the sunset variant of Crosby's ... aka "Hymeougon Kagetsu"
    {{gwi:671411}}

"Hummels Sunset Variegata" vs. regular round leaf "Variegata"
    {{gwi:671412}}

Different variegated cultivars ...
    {{gwi:671413}}

a curled, centre variegated form from Japan
    {{gwi:671414}}

C.arborescens Variegated
    {{gwi:671415}}

C.arborescens "Blue Jade"
    {{gwi:671416}}

"Blue Bird"
    {{gwi:671418}}

"Gargoyle" from Glen
    {{gwi:671420}}

the regular "Skinny FIngers" or "lipsticks" ;)
    {{gwi:671422}}

"Shin Kagetsu" aka "Maruba"
    {{gwi:671424}}

and finally a group picture of my larger plants ...

Best regards from Germany,
    Ben

• woodnative
    10 years ago

Ben great reds but I realy love the center variegate.

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

Ben,

I like how you grouped them together at the end. Really nice collection. The colors are so pretty.

Thanks for the close-ups...makes me drool...haha

• paul_
    10 years ago

Beautiful looking Jades Bikerdoc!! Wow, that one on the right is SO Full and just gorgeous!!

LOL. And that isn't even his large jade, Nancy.

Really like that "a curled, centre variegated form from Japan", Ben.

• bens2bens
    10 years ago

hi,
    in the bonsai section of GW i opened another thread on jade trees as bonsai ...

maybe you also have pics of big jades that you can post there. Thanks and best regards, Ben

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bonsai/msg101232167265.html

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Ben you have some Amazing Jades!!

Though I'm quite jealous of everyone's Jades :o)... I am truly enjoying all your beautiful pictures!! Bring them on!!

Paul, why doesn't that surprise me? I'd love to see a picture of his largest Jade :o)...

I don't have the most ideal climate for growing Jades/Succulents in humid FL but I grow them anyways,lol...I really like them, wish they liked my weather a little more...unfortunately I only have about 5-6 months a year of Jade growing weather here :o(

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Nancy, this is the plant Paul has referenced. It is in a 16"pot. I had it in a smaller clay pot several years ago but it got too heavy for me to move, so I put in a larger plastic pot. It never gets much color. I usually bring it in around this time of the year because I'm not a big fan of the flowers once they have dried an make a mess on the floor. this year I will leave it out until frost.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh BEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's all I can say..lol..Seriously...I am amazed at the plants you find and your ability to care for them so wel..Great job! our leaves look so flawless! Do you keep them in full un and how much?

Bikerdoc..That's huge!!!! Beautiful!!!

Josh, I hear ya!!! I too think many of these jades have such beautiful trunks..By the way, love the updates!

Thanks t0 everyone else for looking, posting and your kind comments!

MIke

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    10 years ago

Amazing specimens! I really need to find myself a variegated Jade.

Rob

• bens2bens
    10 years ago

Hi Mike,
    thanks for the nice words. However i think all the other jades shown here and elswere donôt need to hide. I think in the US you still have some time to "collect" more colors. Here in Germany i already had to bring all my plants inside and colors will slowly fade away in the next months. In summer i have all my plants on a south-east facing balcony and they get direct sun from 8 to 14 o'clock ... so this is theoretically still expandable ;)

Ben

• americangolden
    10 years ago

Amazing pictures ben! I really enjoy the group photo!

Here is a picture of one of my hummel's sunset plants I took the other day.

{{gwi:671428}}

This post was edited by americangolden on Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 14:30

10 years ago

Beautiful! What a golden Sunset!
    And superb red stems.

Josh

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Thanks, Mike... now if I could only get some color! It's set flowers but not much is happening with some nice red edged hues.

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

Oh, my! That is a huge specimen Howard! Looks like a happy camper to me.

I'm sure it's gorgeous when it blooms - despite the clean up afterwards.

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    10 years ago

I'm still not seeing much color, but look what I found.
    {{gwi:671430}}
    Is there anything I need to do to make sure the flowers bloom?

Rob

10 years ago

Excellent, Rob!
    Just keep treating the plant as you have been.

Josh

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Wow...this thread just keeps getting better and better!

Huge Jade Bikerdoc...amazing size!

American, that is one gorgeous Hummel Sunset Jade...how in the world did you get it to look like that and its only Oct.!!! Please share your growing tips...

Congrats on your buds Whip!!

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    10 years ago

Josh,
    The problem is I've been really busy with work, and ignoring them. I haven't looked at them in 2 weeks. Now that I know I have buds, it's really difficult to "keep treating the plant as I have been". I'll try.

Nancy,
    Thank you. I'm very excited. This is the first time I've had blooms in all the years I've had Jade trees.

Rob

• Laura Robichaud
    10 years ago

My lemon/lime jade is coloring up.

• Laura Robichaud
    10 years ago

My Hummel's, perforata, campfire and Crosby's. They're not coloring quite like I hoped, but not from lack of trying.

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

Very nice collection! The campfire looks good!

10 years ago

They're coloring quite well, Laura!

Josh

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Morning,

Mike, as usual your Jades are out of this world!!
    I especially love pic 7. Where on earth did you find such a beauty?

Heck, I like all your Jades. How do you keep the yellows soooo yellow?

Bikerdoc..Your Jades are beautiful, too..
    I adore the red succulent, bottom left.

Josh, love the yellow leaves..that's what I'm aiming for..yellow Sunsets...

Ben, Wow!
    At what temp do you bring Jades inside? You mentioned, 'just above freezing.'
    How long do you keep your Jades at almost-freezing temps?

Biker, I have a Jade similiar to yours..Problem is, every year it's a little heavier than the previous year.
    I removed a few trunks to grow standard-like, but the container is still heavy. lol.

American Golden...Love the orange and reds..Beautiful.

Rob, congrats on the buds..Let them be, and they'll grow.
    Nice red edges.
    Heck, their stems are even red!!

Laura, the center, photo in the second picture is so, very red. I love it!!!

Here's a few of mine.. Mine have some red, but nowere as nice as you gals and guys.

{{gwi:77553}}

{{gwi:671434}}

{{gwi:671436}}

{{gwi:671438}}

{{gwi:671440}}

{{gwi:671443}}

Biker...here's the Jade that reminds me of yours.

{{gwi:93418}}

Toni

• Laura Robichaud
    10 years ago

Toni...they all look so beautiful and healthy!

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Laura, thank you.

Last week temps were in the 20's-40's. I hurried to haul plants inside.

This morning, at 7:15am, temp was 64F, but so cloudy I had to turn on a light to see..

In a way I feel like carrying Jades back outside, especially after reading Ben's post..Problem is it's pouring rain. :)

Toni

• bens2bens
    10 years ago

hi,
    i think jade trees could survive temps of down to -1 or -2ðC, but i alway take them inside when the first nights with 0ðC are coming. Here in Germany thats normally around october. In this time i everyday check the local weather forecast. However i cultivate my plants on a balcony, where they are almost completely protected against rain. As you mention rain might be a critical point especially under cold conditions ...

Ben

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ben you are right!

Wet jades mixed with the cold is the critcal point as to whether one will kill them or have them color up nice and survive such cold temps...
    I find that such cold temps and the warmth of the sun by noon is what the key is to the color in mines and that is why I leave them out for so long, as long as I can...

Toni...Beautiful..YOur jades are so perfect and in great shapes...I got the jade from a dear friend when it was just 1 inch tall a couple of years ago..It can be a fast grower if I feed it and provide lots of root room..This past year I did not focus on fertilizing as much.It would of grown twice it's size if I had...

Thank you for the nice compliments!

Looking great everyone one..Rob..Wow!!!

I'll be back. Bakc to work:-)

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Laura..VERY NICE..Thank you....Most good job!

Rob, really????? Flowers? I can't believe it..Great work.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Hi Ben,

0C equals 32F..32 is freezing. So, you haul in 'all' your succulents, besides Jades around 0C?

Aw, you're in Germany. Is it winter now?
    Temps fluctuate rapidly here. For instance, last week temps were in the 20's, 20F is -7C. I think.
    It's in the 60's today, but pouring rain all day.

Well, whatever you're doing, your Jades are beautiful, very healthy and vividly colored.

Hey Mike....You're right about rain and cold..the two don't go together when it comes to succulents.

I still have 10 or so plants outside..:)

Thanks for the compliment..but my Jades compared to yours and Ben's would win the ugly award. lol

Hey, Happy Halloween!!!!

10 years ago

Greetings!

Toni, your Jades are gorgeous and very tidy! :-)

Ben, you're absolutely right. Mike and I were just talking about that this afternoon, in fact. We had rain this week, and then night temps dropped to 35F for two days in a row. 35F wouldn't have been so bad, but following a thoroughly saturating rain, I knew I had to bring my plants in. I'll be doing the "plant shuffle" for another month or two, hauling plants out on warm sunny days, getting every bit of growth out of them that I can!

Poor quality image, but here's my 'Skinny Fingers' when I brought it in...developed some excellent color in the past two weeks. Now my window-sills are lined with succulents ;-)

Josh

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    10 years ago

Toni,
    I leave mine out as long as possible too. I have a covered porch that gets evening sun. The plants are protected from rain. They've already seen 34 degrees this year. Colder than I wanted. I guess the weather doesn't listen to the forecast all the time.

Mike,
    Thanks! Coming from you, that means a lot. I've been really busy this year with work. Maybe I was too attentive in the past. maybe they thrive on a little more neglect? Of all of the Jades I have, only one has buds. I wish I knew why that plant was different. Still, I'm very excited!

Everyone's Jades look great! I love these threads.

Rob

• kuroc
    10 years ago

beautiful jades everyone. :) I can't wait till mine get bigger.

10 years ago

Good morning!
    Another beautiful day in northern California. 'Hobbit' in the light of the rising sun. This Jade, too, was a gift from Mike. Mother-Daughter bonsai planting.

Josh

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

Very nice setting!

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Josh..STUNNING!!!!! It is as if you have built in lights that illuminate it like it's set on fire..Just awesome and so unique! I only wish my jades could turn as fluorescent as yours....So bright and delightful to look at pal!

Rob, please e-mail me come the spring...Please remember to do so to remind me of something, ok?

If Stush is reading this, remind me too...
    Colleen, you too...lol

Anyone elseI am forgetting?

Camellia, you are not kidding....I love to look, look, look, and other people's jades since so many take on so many characteristics in other areas....They are never boring to say the least..

Um, Toni.....Are you kidding? I agree with Josh..Yours are so tidy and just perfect...Good work as always

MIke:-)

10 years ago

Thanks, Camellia and Mike!
    I love this time of year. The weather today is a breezy, cloudy, 60F, so I put the Jades back out.

Josh

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Good Afternoon, Ladies and Gents!

Josh, thank you.

Will your Jades keep color over winter?

Your Skinny Fingers is extremely red. Btw, is Skinny Fingers, Hobbit or Gollum?
    I still get the two mixed-up. :)

A few posts below, you posted a photo of your Hobbit.
    You wrote 'mother and daugher.' Is daugher attached to mother? If so, will they be together, or removed to form a tree-shape standard/solo trunk?

You also wrote, 'another beautiful day in northern CA.'
    What were temps that morning?

One more question. :)

You said, 'Hobbit in the light of the rising sun.' Are Crassulas in an east window?

No more questions...Not at the moment anyway. lol

Rob... I had no choice but to leave Jades outside when temps dipped below 32F.
    So far so good, however, during the day, temps are between 40-50F, nights 29-34. They're predicting 60F from Tues-Fri, although like you said, weather doesn't listen to the forecast. lol.

Think I'm going to place a small table on the front porch, set Jades out during the day, then bring in at night.
    Today, the third of Nov is the first day we've had actual sun!
    If you've ever seen The Wizard of Oz, picture the twister scene. Remember the sky and wind?
    That's what the last 5 days resembled. :)

Kuroc. Patience is the key..it seems some Jades grow faster than others. Your Jades will soon be tall and wide, then you will not know where to set them come winter.

Mike, thank you..Tidy? You should see the mess after a windy day/night..
    Or when I'm cleaning, and plants do the domino thing. lol.

Toni

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

Hi everyone, what a fantastic show of colourful Jades you all have there, the colours are amazing! Mine are just beginning to turn now the temps have started to drop suddenly, and flower too so I'll post some pics in the next day or so.
    Gill UK.

10 years ago

Hi, Toni :-)
    Here are the answers to your questions:

"Will your Jades keep color over winter?"
    - no, they will lose their intense color within a few days/weeks of being indoors.

"Your Skinny Fingers is extremely red. Btw, is Skinny Fingers, Hobbit or Gollum?
    I still get the two mixed-up. :) "
    - 'Skinny Fingers' is a pointy tipped form of 'Gollum.'

"A few posts below, you posted a photo of your Hobbit.
    You wrote 'mother and daugher.' Is daugher attached to mother? If so, will they be together, or removed to form a tree-shape standard/solo trunk?"
    - Mother and Daughter are not attached, but I left them together for a Mother-Daughter planting. I will keep them together for now, but I might separate them in the future.

"You also wrote, 'another beautiful day in northern CA.'
    What were temps that morning?"
    - The temps were around 40F that morning :-)

"One more question. :)
    You said, 'Hobbit in the light of the rising sun.' Are Crassulas in an east window?"
    - Yes, indeed! Love that morning sun.

Josh

• yaslan72
    10 years ago

Hello Everyone!

Mike - your jades are beautiful as always. The cuttings you sent awhile have become three small little ones. I am determined and inspired by your jades to take better care of mines so that one day they'll be nice like yours :-)

Ben - I never tire of seeing your stunningly beautiful jades. They are eye candy for us plant-loving people!

Toni - I love your beautiful collection of jades .

Americangold - I love how brightly lit your hummel's sunset is.

Now, I remember why I love jades. I am thankful for all the plant-loving people here and for the info members share and to gardenweb for having this forum so that all of us can share and post our pics.

Happy winter!@

Bo

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner