Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
_sbgibbons_

Temperature and watering question.

_sbgibbons_
9 years ago

Hi y'all! I hope everyone is enjoying the fall weather that has finally arrived! :) Last week we had a bit of a cold front come through and I was worried about watering my plants because I know the majority of them can handle temperatures of about 40F as long as they are dry. Of course the lowest it got was around 55F , but I didn't know if their roots being wet would cause any damage. This week it is going to start warming up again, but the nights are going to be around 55F as well. My question is- is it okay to water my plants? I know that 55F isn't cold to most people, but to me that is pretty cold so I'm not sure. Thanks in advance! - Sam

Comments (9)

• spikef35
    9 years ago

That wont hurt the plants but they are probably going into dormancy so water every 2 weeks keep out of frost witch will kill the roots and plant and if u want continued growth bring them inside or in a hot greenhouse

• _sbgibbons_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We are going to have highs of 95 this week, but I'm just worried about the cold nights. Frost isn't a worry for a long time from now. My plants are all in a gritty mix, so I think watering every two weeks is too little. I'm just curious if having them in a wet gritty mix with nights in the 50's is alright..

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Actually, I think your plants are coming out of summer dormancy and will love their great weather. Fall is a great time for growth in the milder areas of the country. It sounds like what we are having in Texas. Our lows are higher than yours right now, but that can change in a wink of an eye. I better go check the weather. 76F low this morning and tomorrow's will be 59 and the next 55. We will be getting rain too. I back off on my watering to once every two weeks and if it rains , it gets no watering. When the lows get to 40, I get the plants under cover so they do not get a lot of rain and start hardening off for the winter. I move in the Stapeliads when the lows get 45-30. But my cactus and aloes do not come in till 32 and even some lower. Depends on the cactus or aloes. Water does become an issue as we head into the40's . I have gotten scars on the aloe leaves last year when we had a lot of rain in around Halloween and again in November. The bad cold front came in early december and my pots were still damp and cold hardy agaves got athracnose and freeze damage because they were still wet in the feet. The cold would have been easily felt with if they were dry.

you are still getting 95 degree days so I think that watering once every week is good but if it cools down further, back off.. How large are your pots and plants. What succulents or cactus are we talking about? We are 91 this week and I did not water this week. To busy, but it will rain tonight hopefully. I don't think the plants even noticed.

Watering in fall is a gut thing. We still have hot days bit we need to water with the future in mind. Will you be bringing in these plants or will they remain outside?

• _sbgibbons_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for the reply Wantonamara! Our weather here is very confusing during this time of the year. Haha. We definitely have pretty warm days still, but our nights are very cool. We have been in a drought for a long time, so I don't have to worry about rain. I figure I'll bring my plants in when temperatures drop to around 40 degrees since the majority of my plants can't go below that. My pot sizes range from 2 inches to 12 inches. Instead of naming them all, I'll just post a picture. My very large Aloe Vera and Elephant's Food isn't pictured here.. I am going to water them today because they haven't been watered in a week and a half, some it's been two weeks. And the high is 94 and the low is 57, so I think they'll be good. They definitely need the water. But I do need to know for future reference, how cold is too cold for water? - Sam :)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I don't know how to answer that. I just back off on the water to once a month and I give smaller drinks of water. The stapeliads , I mist or dribble on them. It is good to research each name and be aware of their cold hardiness. Echeverias vary a lot. I grow some of them in the ground in 8b with a frost cloth on the big cold fronts. I move my plants in and out when the fronts come. .

• notolover
    9 years ago

Most of my plants are Echinopsis or Trichocereus but I do have some jades and aloes outside.

The day temps in September are in the 80s, but my night temperatures start going down in the 40s with no ill effects to my plants as long as I water in the morning after it warms up. I do cut back on the watering later in September.

I haven't watered for a few weeks, but we got a light rain last week. We had a hard frost last night and everyone is fine--but most of my plants are on tables under shade cloth.

It is overall very dry here in the summer and fall. Plus Echinos & Trichos are more frost tolerant than other succulents so my experience will be different.

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    9 years ago

It has been getting down to the 50s and even the 40s here at night and I am still watering once a week or so. Its pretty warm in the day and my plants get evening sun and they seem to be doing well. Actually, my Crassula perforata is putting out all kinds of new growth! I bought it a month or two back and it was just two "strings" so to speak. And now each one has two new strings coming from the bottom area, and one has another string coming in about halfway up. My jades are showing some new growth too... and another, whose name I cannot recall, is growing like a weed! Every time I check on it I see someting new or its just bigger!

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    9 years ago

I spoke too soon! I just got done bringing all my plants in because the temp has been dropping all day! It's in the 40s now and will be in the 30s tonight & the following 2 nights. Hopefully they can go back outside for a bit on Monday but I don't know for how long. Darn it! My love for succulents has made me dread falls cooler temps. And fall is my favorite time of year!

• notolover
    9 years ago

I agree--I always loved fall also, but now I hate how early it gets dark--I guess I never noticed before :-). The ritual of moving plants in is stressful and looking for my box turtles really sets me off when I can't find them.

And don't even get me started on yard clean-up. But I know I will be rewarded with beautiful flowers next summer so that's the motivation.

Hope your plants will be okay.